Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Does anyone have the new 800 SX-R Jet Ski? (or, is anyone else into stand up skis?)
    Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    I just ordered one, so to help curb my excitement, I figured I'd see if anyone else is into stand ups?

This will be my 5th stand up ski (I had an X-2 as well), and I can't WAIT to shred some wakes on this beast! The 1995 550sx has been my overall favorite ski of all time, but I'm thinking it's days on top are numbered with this new machine's power & shortened hull. I always hated the 650's & 750's, because their hulls were so long for speed & rough water improvement. The 800 is supposed to have a length that's more similar to the 550/440 hulls of the past.

Here are a few pics of it:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Collapse Details

Always thought about getting into those but decided not to. Currently rebuilding a block for a Yamaha XL 1200 though, that is a PIA.

3. Collapse Details

I have not ridden a stand up in years! I loved them when I was young.
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sweet addiction View Post
    Always thought about getting into those but decided not to.

They are a blast. I've always thought they are much more fun to ride than Sea-Doo's & similar. You can have fun in smooth or choppy water, & pull some pretty sick air on them:

5. Collapse Details

From all the skies ive had my favorite was my X-2. IMO theyre the best for freestyle

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Premier Perf View Post
    From all the skies ive had my favorite was my X-2. IMO theyre the best for freestyle

I had a blast on my X-2, and it was the best for carving turns of any of them.

Funny question: Did yours have a problem with taking on water? Man, I had 2-3 other guys that had X2's & used to ride with me, and ALL of ours would take on water but we could NEVER figure out where it was getting in! We'd have to beach them every couple of hours & drain them out. They were kick ass other than that "small" issue

7. Collapse Details

My last stand up was the yamaha FX/1 wickedly fast ski and sick air just wish it had a bigger pump. I am 45 and all my friends sold there's so I just ran out of people to ride with. Sounds like a nice ski is it a two stroke.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    I had a blast on my X-2, and it was the best for carving turns of any of them.

Funny question: Did yours have a problem with taking on water? Man, I had 2-3 other guys that had X2's & used to ride with me, and ALL of ours would take on water but we could NEVER figure out where it was getting in! We'd have to beach them every couple of hours & drain them out. They were kick ass other than that "small" issue

yup i had that issue it would come in by the front, for some reason the seal in the front wasn't to good....you know what B i'm going to start looking for an x-2 i misses those days...thanks homie

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Premier Perf View Post
    yup i had that issue it would come in by the front, for some reason the seal in the front wasn't to good....

you know what B i'm going to start looking for an x-2 i misses those days...thanks homie
    Haha, I don't blame you a bit bud! You'll jump on that machine & be instantly hooked all over again. What's funny to me, is how relatively cheap all of the mod parts are for them. As a kid, I'd spend an entire paycheck on a Skat-Trak impeller, or a PJS pipe & manifold, and couldn't get it installed fast ENOUGH!

I had heard the same thing from someone else long after I'd sold my X2, that the front seals or bushings were the culprit causing the leaks. I wish we could have figured that out, or I might still have it. That was so damn annoying. We all came pretty close to sinking the damn things more than a few times back then

10. Collapse Details

Ive still got my 1981 440 With tons of money put in it. Its got a total loss ignition and even a titiiaum drive shaft. We raced and rode all over the south from Tenn to Fla. Havent rode in a few years. A friend of mine just bought a new Kaw 800 also. Im gona try it out this summer. Like you the sit down bike are boring. You cant realy jump or sub or barrel row them.
    Have fun and ride safe

11. Collapse Details

My last stand-up was my 94 Superjet 701. Had it set up with the Factory Pipe pipe and water box, Skat Trak variable pitch impeller, and I can't remember all what else. I used to race in the local KC club and we did some traveling to regional IJSBA events. It was a good time! I sold it to a friend of mine who still has it. He says it's he best ski he's ever owned and won't sell it back to me!

That one looks sweet B! Ho well are the new ones supposed to run? Back in the day, hitting 50 was a pretty good accomplishment on a limited ski.

12. Collapse Details

always loved standup jetskies, never ridden one though =(
    a guy at my cottage is big into them and shreds pretty hard.
    here is a cool forum if you are interested
    http://www.x-h2o.com/forum.php

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    I had a pretty built X2 it was a lot of fun but like everyone else who owned one. It leaked got sank a few times. Usually after flooding the motor, and running the battery down with the bilge pump. I have been wanting another stand up again, but It is had to beat a Seadoo HX for all out jumping.

14. Collapse Details

i have had 4 stand ups my last was the polaris.... i keep eyeing the new one at the kaw dealer..... Brandon would you be up for a ride from osage to st louis on stand ups? the local yammy dealer sponsors it every year i have always wanted to do it....

15. Collapse Details

I spent almost ten full years racing stand ups in the midwest region of the tour. I shutter to guess how many hours I have logged on a stand up ski. Probably some of my best memories on the water to be honest. Given the recent state of my financial limits I too have thought long and hard about getting another stand up ski.

Riding and racing stand ups is how I came across LOTO in the late 90s. Tim Seebold used to put on a race up there in September every year. It was always a fun trip for us. When I saw the wake jumping opportunities on the main channel of that lake I thought I had died and went to heaven.

I used to get amused at the couch skis when my sister and I would show up for a long ride up the lake. While unloading our skis they would quickly remind us that we were taking a 1+ hour trip up the lake and we probably wouldn't be able to keep up. We were quick to let them know we wouldn't take it too hard on them.

Some of my favorite memories are riding white water areas of the Illinois river with racing buds. We have a small local power plant lake that stays 80+ degrees year round. Everyone would come in from Kansas and Missouri to ride with us for the weekend during the winter months. I can't count how many days I spent on that lake riding in sub 40 degree weather.

Brando, in short, you have my support. You may give me a reason to go get another one. All of my hours have been logged on a SuperJet hull though. We could always pretend it's Skater vs MTI and make big engine noises while going at it together.

I say if water is involved and it has an engine in it you can't go wrong. Something tells me the smile will be just as big at the end of the day.

(you seriously have me thinking)

EDIT....My second favorite ski to get on was a Waveblaster. That was another mistake to sell. I can appreciate your love affair with the X2. Not many people know that Chris MacCluggage won his first ever world title on an X2. I think he was fourteen at the time.
    A thong is like a barbed wire fence, it protects the property but doesn't ruin the scenery.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I spent almost ten full years racing stand ups in the midwest region of the tour. I shutter to guess how many hours I have logged on a stand up ski. Probably some of my best memories on the water to be honest.

EDIT....My second favorite ski to get on was a Waveblaster.
    I also raced stand-up in the late 80's and had a great time doing it . I also got my performance boat bug from attending a race in Seaside Hieghts NJ that hosted Jet skis and offshore powerboats in the same venue. I remember pulling into the event thinking how bad ass I was with a matching truck and 16' enclosed trailer until I rolled up on the offshore guys with semi's with matching 40' boats & heliocopter's ... Boy did my ego shrink

EDIT... My blaster was also my favorite ski , the best of both worlds

Here is a shot of me circa 1989 ( Hence the peach and purple polka dot ski )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.bmp  

17. Collapse Details

Still have a standup in the garage , 750sxi . Love it . Had them all , stand ups that is . Raced them back in the day . Quit when it fell apart . Used to build engines , had a shop for a few years. It's amazing how much money we used to spend building a 550 motor. Then again getting a 40 hp motor up to 90 hp wasn't cheap. First mod I made was to put an aluminum handle pole on it , busted too many in the ocean jumping !!!

18. Collapse Details

I love standups! I used to race a Kawi 750 and the Yamaha SuperJet standups. They are a blast! I laughed when I saw this thread because I was thinking of buying another one for the summer. I have not ridden the new Kawi 800 so I am not sure how different they are from the 750 hull. Once you get it slap a Factory pipe on it. They are the best aftermarket pipe and they really wake them up!

http://www.factorypipe.com/p_kawasaki.php

19. Collapse Details

See Brandon...I knew I liked you for SOME reason! I just sold my 1990 550SX and my 1992 750SX...both were piped, had Westcoast heads, impellers, ride plates, intakes...all kinda goodies. When my wife and I were married, our wedding present to eachother was a new 750 sit-down, but we both rode the standups. If I get back into it, I'll DEFINATELY get the new 800...looks awesome. BTW...totally agree on the 550 being the best hull...I loved that thing!

20. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    I had an old one with a 440 in it (i think) used to keep it on a peice of carpet in my bed of my truck and then strap it to the swim platform. what a riot! It was old! anyways i got it for free and put two pistons in it (top end) rebuilt the carbs and she was rockin. only think it did about 30 mph but it was a blast. then someone on the beach offered me $800.00 for it so i let it go. then i got a deal on 2 kawais that were 1100 2 strokes. they flew. I bet they did every bit of 60. anyways. just got rid of them too. i would really like to have a stand-up again.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.