Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    I agree. ^^^^^^^^
    The boat will be a bravo I Eater.

2. Collapse Details

The boat didn't come with a drive....

I could've gotten it for some extra $$ but it had a Merctrans tranny which I heard could only handle about 500 hp....

I talked to Konrad and would LOVE to run their products, but try and talk the wife in to putting a $20,000 drive on a $500 boat

I found I can get a Bravo drive modified to handle the power for a pretty reasonable price..

Doug

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatally Insane View Post

I found I can get a Bravo drive modified to handle the power for a pretty reasonable price..

Doug
    U HEARD WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I say arneson is the way to go on a boat like this !

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    U HEARD WRONG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I say arneson is the way to go on a boat like this !

That is still my FIRST choice if I can find the right deal...

As far as a Bravo drive goes, I've talked with Dick Tryce (Mr Gadgets on OSO) and heard from a few of his customers and they've been running his modified Bravos reliably with 850+ hp

Dick's Performance Marine, LLC
    616-335-8446 Home
    616-403-1006 Cell

Doug

5. Collapse Details

Banned

As far as a Bravo drive goes, I've talked with Dick Tryce (Mr Gadgets on OSO) and heard from a few of his customers and they've been running his modified Bravos reliably with 850+ hp

616-335-8446 Home
    616-403-1006 Cell

Doug
    I hear that so many times...NO way a Bravo is holding that power...a Speedmaster is not even rated at that !!!!!

But hey...your boat, your money, your choice !!!!

6. Collapse Details

If you want to go safley go 100MPH expect to spend at least 30k in hardware between the engine drive and mechanicals. That would be looking for deals at that price. If you go cheap you will be breaking things or even killing yourself. Just being realistic. Even if your goal was 80MPH I would guess over 20k in part alone. Good luck with your project!!

7. Collapse Details

Don't confuse the Bravo with the Bravo XR. And even with the 600 HP rated XR, there's just not that much you can do to it. There are "magic tricks" that you can do to any drive- such as the cryo treating and isotropic micropolishing. But you're still going to be dealing with the limitations of gear and shaft sizes and the strength of the case and gimbal. So lets say you find a nice, clean used XR with a gimbal for $6K. By the time you do all the rebuild and mods to it, plus rebuild the gimbal with an uprated gimbal ring, you have some serious cash invested in it.

On the Konrad- you're looking at their Bravo replacement drive that includes a transmission, extension box and integral steering. The 540 PRS is alot less- and a direct bolt-in to that TRS opening in your hull.

You made a good point in your post just a bit ago- "...a $500 hull". From all I'm hearing, you're going to end up with something that is rarely going to be functional. The engine components you're talking about will definitely make the 850 HP. But for a very brief amount of time. The block and crank might make it through a summer full of saturdays making 850 in a lightweight bracket car. But probably not more than one or two in an endurance engine like you'll have in a boat. Same for the drive. In the end, you'll pour a bunch of money into it and it'll break quickly. Then you'll pour more into it only to have it break again. You'll either end up hating it and selling it broken or you'll have a $60,000. Excalibur 27. That's not good for you or for the sport.

You might want to consider doing things on the conservative side and enjoying what it is for what it is. Get a few summers out of it going 70. It's no fun going 100 only to spend two hours on a rope back to your trailer. And missing a month of summer working on your broken boat.

Lastly, projects like this can eat you alive. Unless you've done it there's just no way to describe how many little pieces and parts go into a project like this. And boat parts ain't cheap. The last thing you want to do is end up owning a boat worth $25k and having that $60K invested in it. Even if you go the conservative route and build a reliable boat. $60K will buy alot of boat these days. You're not going to be happy if you wake up one morning and find yourself "accidentally" there on this one.

8. Collapse Details

This isn't my first boat "build" by far...

My last one was done with ALL the best parts so I do know how to do it "right" .... I just don't have the budget for it this go 'round...

My neighbor and I just got done building his 27' Carerra and also I have a pontoon with a LOUD stereo on it so I always have a way to get on the water...

I'm building the Excalibur just to satisfy my need for speed...

I have a BUNCH of parts left over from other "projects" including a FULL interior with bolsters. Basically all I'm lacking is the drivetrain...

I'll NEVER have 60k invested in a boat..
    I'm just a broke a$$ diesel mechanic trying to make the most out of what I've got....

Doug

9. Collapse Details

I have a 71C transmission left over from my last Cigarette. It needs to be refreshed. It was last rebuilt at Huber and was rated for 900 HP. It will fit where your Mer trans was. I will sell it dirt cheap to get it out of my garage, plus shipping. if you are interested. Then all you will need to do is send it out and you will be able to hold your power transmission wise. Just a thought

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CRT View Post
    I have a 71C transmission left over from my last Cigarette. It needs to be refreshed. It was last rebuilt at Huber and was rated for 900 HP. It will fit where your Mer trans was. I will sell it dirt cheap to get it out of my garage, plus shipping. if you are interested. Then all you will need to do is send it out and you will be able to hold your power transmission wise. Just a thought
    From what I've read, the 71c is a bit longer than the Merctrans....

I REALLY don't want to move the engine any further forward, though the thought of putting a trans in an extension box has crossed my mind.

Tried to send ya a PM...but your box is full.....

You can send price as well as any pictures or other numbers to
    Boatally_Insane@yahoo.com

if you could....
    Thanks,

Doug

11. Collapse Details

Banned
    From what I've read, the 71c is a bit longer than the Merctrans....

I REALLY don't want to move the engine any further forward, though the thought of putting a trans in an extension box has crossed my mind.

Tried to send ya a PM...but your box is full.....

You can send price as well as any pictures or other numbers to
    Boatally_Insane@yahoo.com

if you could....
    Thanks,

Doug
    The merc trans and the BW are the same length !!! as far as i know ?!

12. Collapse Details

Correct, the 71C and the merctrans do not need a motor adjustment, that is why I was suggesting this. Solution. I can take some pictures tonight.

13. Collapse Details

I just sent you an email

Kurt

14. Collapse Details

616-335-8446 Home
    616-403-1006 Cell

Doug
    Dick is the man! He can build one hell of a drive.

Good luck with the project. I know you'll do a lot of the work yourself and save a lot of $$$.