Thread: Amsoil?

1. Collapse Details
    Amsoil?
    can someone pinpoint me to the Amsoil Oil I need in my 496? I thought there was a thread but i cant find it

2. Collapse Details

I would recommend the AMSOIL Dominator 15w-50 Racing Oil. I would also recommend the EAO-24 Oil filters. I also sent you a PM.

3. Collapse Details

When I was reading the Amsoil literature I got the impression that the Dominator oil was for circle/drag usage and needed to be changed very often due to its makeup? I use their 20w-50, says right on it for heavy duty/marine/diesel use, good for flat tappet cams etc.

4. Collapse Details

I am with the largest dealer group in the country, and we've been selling AMSOIL products for over 25 years. If you want the best, use the Dominator 15w-50 Racing Oil. If you want the second best, use the ARO 20w-50, which is still a very very good product. I've run full seasons on my oil in my 496 ho's, which is about 65 hours a season. After testing the oil, the oil was still deemed good for use.
    Last edited by 07DominatorSS; 05-02-2010 at 10:04 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks for the clarification, I like and use Amsoil products but sometimes have trouble determining which product is best for each application.

6. Collapse Details

I'm just curious as to why a 50wt oil is so highly recommended in the marine arena? I'm going to run Amsoil 10W40 in my 600" mill and I feel it will be more than adequate. If your oil temps are less than 230*, and the clearances in the motor are correct I personally don't see the need to push any heavier than a 40wt. I personally think running something with a 50 attached to it creates a "feel good" false safety factor situation, but it also robs some HP as well as loads the oil pump, cam and timing set more. Just curious on opinions here.

Thanks,

Craig

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE View Post
    I'm just curious as to why a 50wt oil is so highly recommended in the marine arena? I'm going to run Amsoil 10W40 in my 600" mill and I feel it will be more than adequate. If your oil temps are less than 230*, and the clearances in the motor are correct I personally don't see the need to push any heavier than a 40wt. I personally think running something with a 50 attached to it creates a "feel good" false safety factor situation, but it also robs some HP as well as loads the oil pump, cam and timing set more. Just curious on opinions here.

Thanks,

Craig
    I definitely see where you are coming from. With Petroleum products, that might be more of an issue due to the viscosity being much higher. With high quality synthetics, such as AMSOIL, Mobil 1 and Redline, you can get a away with a little "heavier" oil. The heavier oil will not shear down as fast, therefore providing better protection. A 50wt is more recommended because of the constant high RPM's these boats run, but a 40wt oil will work just fine. Hell, my dad ran AMSOIL 0w-30 in his 496 mag.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE View Post

Thanks,

Craig
    Now that I have a roller cam I am trying the 10/40 Marine oil. In the past due to the flat tappet cam I used the 15/40 Diesel Marine oil. I also use the EA Filter, it is a much better filter.

9. Collapse Details

I spoke with Amsoil direct about my 588s and they recommended their 10-40 AMO for a 10:1, 5800 rpm motors. My clearances are standard.

10. Collapse Details

When I originally got my boat with 496HO's, it was running Mercruiser 25W40. Each engine used about 1/4 quart per outing. I switched to Mobil1 15W50 and neither engine has lost a drop since.

11. Collapse Details

I use the Amsoil 20W-50 in the boat and Amsoil in the truck....great oil

12. Collapse Details

I've been using Amsoil 10W-40 synthetic marine oil on my Wippled 496HO, with good results.I send Oil samples to Oil Analysers for every change. And all samples come back good. Don