1. Collapse Details
    496 impeller rotation.
    i have the raw water pumps off the motors and do not have access right now. as im facing the front of the motors im thinking they turn counter clockwise. any help?

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    From the back of the engine all mercruiser stern drive engines spin to the left.

3. Collapse Details

If you are trying to put new ones in the direction they spin, don't worry about that. Just get the impellors in, even if the vanes are pointing both directions. They will flip to the correct orientation as soon as the pulley is turned.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JRalston View Post
    i have the raw water pumps off the motors and do not have access right now. as im facing the front of the motors im thinking they turn counter clockwise. any help?
    No, they will turn clockwise, Or in other words they will turn to your right as your standing there looking at the engine from inside the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    From the back of the engine all mercruiser stern drive engines spin to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
    If you are trying to put new ones in the direction they spin, don't worry about that. Just get the impellors in, even if the vanes are pointing both directions. They will flip to the correct orientation as soon as the pulley is turned.
    Just make sure you lube it up really good, Then you'll be good to go with either direction you install the new impeller, But you really should try to go with the flow

5. Collapse Details

dawn dish soap dumped in the impeller after install works great as a lubricant.

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I smear 2 4 C in the housing every time I change one.