1. Collapse Details
    Yet Another Muffler Delima Thread
    Before you bash, I have read the other threads and still can't decide which way to go. I have blown 540's with 4.5" dry stacks (EMI's) that are too loud in some areas that I boat so I need to do something about the noise. Doesn't have to be full time but I need something at idle. I don't need a Cadillac but even going to eat attracts the wrong attention. Yes, I know I'm getting old.

I've looked at the options for some time & need some input. Keep in mind that I have a 38 Fountain. The exhaust at idle is just above the water line.

Here's my take on the options.

Turn downs - I have read about reversion issues with turn downs but that enlarging the relief hole may help. If I went this way, the relief hole will be underwater on the Fountain. Any thoughts about relocating it & enlarging? I think it might work.

GGB - I have heard a lot of good things but they haven't returned my calls I've resorted to emailing them - we'll see.

Slip-on/transom mounted cans would be underwater at idle due to the angle of the exhaust at idle. I'm not sure that this would make a difference or create a potential reversion issue as there is no relief hole unless I drill the can.

Are there any 4.5 slip-ins that are worth looking at? I doubt that with dry stacks they would be very effective. Almost everything I have found is 4".

I would consider other options - toss them out & thanks for the help.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you want the quietest possible at idle/no wake. But want a nice sound otherwise plus no back presssure. I'd go with turndowns. I have not heard any horror tales about added reversion vs wet exhaust. Just vs dry.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

dry is the issue as is the exhaust angle.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So you are currently running dry?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fountain38SC View Post
    dry is the issue as is the exhaust angle.
    ???????? pics, don't understand !!!!!!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Why are you running dry exhaust? That will limit the muffler choice. My friend has a 42 Fountain with twin 850hp blower engines and he runs the CMI sound elimination muffler with wet exhaust. I run turn downs with wet exhaust on much bigger power. You can drill a few holes in the inner wall of the tail pipe to make a partial wet conversion and add some bolt on mufflers. It should not matter if the muffler is partially submerged at idle. CMI muffler is legal at idle and fully open at 3000 rpm+ with zero restriction.
    Ateco is a CMI distributor
    847-623-2737

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    i have a set of switchable eddie marine 4.5" exhaust mufflers off a cigarette in brand new condition. the work great on 540's. The only reason i took them off is because i am a redneck and love the noise... i will let them go CHEAP, let me know, 904-497-3214