Thread: Who has ADD ???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Who has ADD ???
    In my wifes effort to try and figure out why I never listen to her She came across some information in a book about Adult ADD that I found amusing.
    The book stated that it is very common for people with ADD to enjoy "thrill seeking " types of activities . such as car racing , bungee jumping , skiing etc... . It also stated that most of the activities are generally individual type activities rather than team or group activities. It went on to say that it is also common for people with ADD to be interested in "souping up " there vehicles or trucks by adding the lastest performance enhancing or dressing up type accessories.
    People with ADD seek these types of activities to keep their racing minds satisfied, such as driving at high rates of speed and constantly looking at ways to improve a vehical to achieve this need for speed and quick thrills

After she read this to me I realized this was me to a tee. Then I realized its everyone of my friends . So if this is one of the effects of ADD where do I sign up.

Anybody else here like to drive fast ??? You must have ADD too

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE WIRE View Post
    In my wifes effort to try and figure out why I never listen to her She came across some information in a book about Adult ADD that I found amusing.
    The book stated that it is very common for people with ADD to enjoy "thrill seeking " types of activities . such as car racing , bungee jumping , skiing etc... . It also stated that most of the activities are generally individual type activities rather than team or group activities. It went on to say that it is also common for people with ADD to be interested in "souping up " there vehicles or trucks by adding the lastest performance enhancing or dressing up type accessories.
    People with ADD seek these types of activities to keep their racing minds satisfied, such as driving at high rates of speed and constantly looking at ways to improve a vehical to achieve this need for speed and quick thrills

After she read this to me I realized this was me to a tee. Then I realized its everyone of my friends . So if this is one of the effects of ADD where do I sign up.

Anybody else here like to drive fast ??? You must have ADD too
    Funny, but WTF is ADD ???? mmmhhhhh

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Funny, but WTF is ADD ???? mmmhhhhh
    I think its a disease that makes you drive fast

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    It is an excuse to medicate for being energetic.

5. Collapse Details

Oh yes, I must have it along with a mild case of OCD. I also must have RLS restless leg syndrome. I can't keep still. And I can go on.. RTS running tongue syndrome.....

Nothing happens fast enough. I am late right now I better get something done. But what first, Should I grind or glass? Maybe pick some weeds.. Blow off the driveway. It is hard to work in a messy place. Do you here me?

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member/Contributor Sean Stinson's Avatar
    That is me to the tee as well as anal retentive!!!!
    God forgives.....The 1% doesn't!!!!!!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Oh yes, I must have it along with a mild case of OCD. I also must have RLS restless leg syndrome. I can't keep still. And I can go on.. RTS running tongue syndrome.....

Nothing happens fast enough. I am late right now I better get something done. But what first, Should I grind or glass? Maybe pick some weeds.. Blow off the driveway. It is hard to work in a messy place. Do you here me?
    LMAO... Personally I love my ADD .It gives me edge in everything I do. I have 100 thoughts & ideas to 1 of any "normal" persons.And Im always doing something even if its wrong.

8. Collapse Details

Do you take road trips in silence just to let your mind wonder? I can drive 15 hours in silence and never be at a loss for thoughts.

9. Collapse Details

I only got through the first couple sentences of your post before something else got my attention and I moved on!

10. Collapse Details

Im in my office doing estimates today. The flat screen on the discovery channel the computer on SOS and the shop doors open so i can see whats going on outside just to keep the demons in my head occupied long enough to get thru a few estimates.

11. Collapse Details

lmao!

That's about as funny as "The #1 cause of suicide is untreated depression. The #2 cause of suicide is treated depression." Now that I'm wandering on funny psychological quotes here, lol, "Depression is anger without enthusiasm." My psychology prof has a horrible sense of humor. Didn't even laugh when I told her those.

12. Collapse Details

MMM, I would love to say what I really think of this comment, but I will refrain and chalk it up to a lack of knowledge. Attention Deficit Disorder is NOT an excuse for medication. In fact, a great number of the medications have side effects that make you wonder if it is really worth taking it or not. Perhaps you are confusing it with the ADHD which adds the Hyperactivity trait, although those medications have harmful side effects as well. Not everyone with ADD is hyperactive.

In children ADD/ADHD can cause serious problems in school and in accomplishing tasks at home. The failures and low scores at school can be detrimental to the child's future and self-esteem, especially when those that have no understanding are the ones they have to deal with every day.

In adults, ADD can sometimes be even worse. ADD has been linked to mood changes, problems in maintaining relationships, and even the ability to hold down a job. ADD/ADHD is typically more prevalent in males, and does tend to run in families. Most children and adults with ADD have difficulty with subjects and tasks that involve math, but are often very smart. They just have problems processing things to completion.

I will give you one family case study. One brother did not graduate high school until he was almost 20, has horrible mood swings, a bad attitude and appears to be aimless and not even looking for employment. He has ADHD, refuses to see it and refuses medication. The sister is married, finishing certification to be a licensed massage therapist, has a son of her own. Her outlook is positive, her relationships healthy and has goals for herself. She has ADD, and takes medication. She also has instructors in her classes that realize that by having something to keep her hands busy, she is able to focus on the lecture better and allow her to knit in class. The second brother, somehow, manged to skip ADD/ADHD altogether.

The mother admits to having many problems in school, problems finishing things at work and creating issues there, and some issues in previous relationships. She tends to feel overwhelmed at times and shuts down completely. She has to make lists for everything or nothing gets done. She cannot even wash the dinner dishes without getting distracted and moving off to do something else. The daughter has had to make her leave a store because the shopping list didn't make it to the store and panic was setting in. There are times she literally "feels" her brain not working the way it should and gets very frustrated. At the time of her diagnosis, the doctor had her fill out a questionaire and stopped her about halfway through saying that she didn't need to finish, the answers given to that point showed an extreme case of ADD. The medications cause numerous side effects for her, but she has recently moved and is in search of a new doctor to try something new.

The grandmother also has ADD, although not to the extreme of any of the others. She says it's too late to change anything now, and leaves it alone. The family deals with the moods etc.

At this point I am sure you wonder why I know so much. No, I am not a doctor. Lord knows, I would never make it through that much school.

I am, however, that mother.

13. Collapse Details

ADD?? ME?? couple that with whats probably the beginings of boxer syndrome and trying to go to college.....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

14. Collapse Details

Ange, Yes there is a wide spectrum of symptoms. Yes, I may not match your understanding but, my son was diagnosed with it. I do know a little bit. A doctor tried to get me to take medication. no thanks. Finally yes I am over generalizing.

There is a pill for everything now. Can't quit smoking take a pill. Can't stop eating take a pill. Have a bad mood problem yes more pills. I call BS.

What is lacking in some cases is ambition.. There isn't a pill for that yet is there? I suspect someone is working on it. Should be big seller.

15. Collapse Details

MMM, I agree that there are a lot of "excuses" to take pills when some things can be alleviated by just putting forth some effort. As you can tell, ADD is not always one of those things for some people.

When they make that ambition pill, maybe they will come up with a common sense one as well!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    When they make that ambition pill, maybe they will come up with a common sense one as well!
    Yes, that would be a good one too.

We are just poking fun at ourselves here. Please don't take offense. I know I mean no harm and suspect the others don't either.

17. Collapse Details

I am working in my boat today. Every time I climb out I see something else that needs my attention. Garden needed watering. The damn wind keeps blowing leaves and pollen around. So I get the blower. Then I walk in and check this thread.. Its almost lunch what should I have, Not now. Just get back to work JimBob get her done.

18. Collapse Details

I am working in my boat today. Every time I climb out I see something else that needs my attention. Garden needed watering. The damn wind keeps blowing leaves and pollen around. So I get the blower. Then I walk in and check this thread.. Its almost lunch what should I have, Not now. Just get back to work JimBob get her done.
    I'm guilty of this also...
    I start working on one project, and see something else that also needs done, so half way through one project, I go off and start another...
    Next thing I know I've got 3-4 projects going at the same time, and just increased my daily workload from a few hours to an entire day.
    No joke, while I was taking a shower this morning, I also decided to scrub the entire shower and tub, so I'm naked taking a shower, and I also have a scrubbing sponge and cleaner in my hand to scrub the walls/tub/shower doors.
    I'll just call it multi-tasking
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

19. Collapse Details

So you guys are saying that its not normal to keep at least a dozzen major projects on your plate at all times?

All this time Ive just been telling my wife "thats what men do"

****, its raining.

20. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE WIRE View Post
    I think its a disease that makes you drive fast
    In that case , i got it !!!!!!