Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ford brake controler ???
    I have a 2010 F250...question, with the integrated brake controller, will that work on my boat trailer that has electric over hydraulic??? Some say yes, some say no... Do I need to install a Tekonsha P3 to run those brakes and disconnect the factory controller??? My trailer is currently in Green Bay, WI, so I can't try it out...

Thanks!!

2. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Depends on the actuator on the trailer. Mine works with some trailers but I bought a Draw Tite controller that works with all brands. My in dash unit also kept flashing trailer disconnected when I hit the brakes.

3. Collapse Details

Do not know, if no answer by the first of the week let me know and I can look it up.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cpmarine View Post
    Depends on the actuator on the trailer. Mine works with some trailers but I bought a Draw Tite controller that works with all brands. My in dash unit also kept flashing trailer disconnected when I hit the brakes.

I have a Tekonsha PS new in the box, but would prefer to not have to install it. I guess I have to wait until I get the boat/trailer back... Isn't electric/hydraulic just that?? meaning either it will or won't work? not being a wise ass, just curious...

Thanks!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Oval View Post
    Do not know, if no answer by the first of the week let me know and I can look it up.
    Thank you very much!!

6. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    if it is electric and the circuit is properly wired and it worked with an aftermarket controller. then yes there should be no problems. they work the same way and the system is superior to any other system.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

7. Collapse Details

Fixxxer is right, should work fine.

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Not always Bill. I have had problems where it would work but not properly. I have also noticed a delay with the OEM controller. The aftermarket controller doesn't have that delay.

9. Collapse Details

Fixxer, the trailer is not straight electric, it is electric over hydraulic and I know a regular add on brake controller will not work, you need one specifically for the electric/hydraulic. That is why I have the Tekonsha P3.

Problem I am seeing is if I have to install my controller is where to put it. there is no good place that I can see in the truck...

10. Collapse Details

And with the tow command there is no harness to tie into. Just give it a shot. It should run it no problem. it is such an awesome system. would be silly if it did not work.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    And with the tow command there is no harness to tie into. Just give it a shot. It should run it no problem. it is such an awesome system. would be silly if it did not work.

I will definately try it, nothing to lose and trust me, I am really hoping it works!!! Thanks!

12. Collapse Details

If your controller on your trailer is a Brakerite brand, you may need to add this adaptor to the trailer.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...ite-sd-adapter

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BGIII View Post
    If your controller on your trailer is a Brakerite brand, you may need to add this adaptor to the trailer.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...ite-sd-adapter

Intersting! Thanks for the info! I will check as well when I get the boat/trailer back!

14. Collapse Details

I have tow command wih a brakerite unit on my trailer. I tow with a F-450 and a F-350. Both trucks have tow command and It works great! No adaptor. The disconnect light comes on when your ground on your trailer is faulty. The unit must have a good ground..not through the ball.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil Fuel View Post
    I have tow command wih a brakerite unit on my trailer. I tow with a F-450 and a F-350. Both trucks have tow command and It works great! No adaptor. The disconnect light comes on when your ground on your trailer is faulty. The unit must have a good ground..not through the ball.

STILLLLLL waiting to get my boat/trailer back, has been gone for a month now! Anyway, as soon as it gets delivered, I will be anxious to try out the Ford Braking system! While I have only put about 40 miles on the truck, I love it!!!!

16. Collapse Details

Well, my boat FINALLY came home after being gone for 6 weeks and after they backed my boat into my building, I backed my truck up to it and hooked up the wiring. it recognized the trailer, but I did not take it anywhere, just left it in the building. So far, so good!!

17. Collapse Details

Tow command rocks! hope it works 100% for you

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    Tow command rocks! hope it works 100% for you
    Thanks! Hopefully weather holds and I will get the Formula out next weekend! There was ALOT of debris out yesterday down in Andalusia! Good thing I only had the little boat out!!

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Thanks! Hopefully weather holds and I will get the Formula out next weekend! There was ALOT of debris out yesterday down in Andalusia! Good thing I only had the little boat out!!
    Mind me asking,,where is Andalusia ?????

20. Collapse Details

I was out all day friday. saw a telephone pole in the river and 2 trees but no little stuff. i went from LeClaire to princeton then to the sand pumps, then to clinton. and back. had a good day.