Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Who burps their motors before getting wet ???
    Last season I had few occasions when I had some kind of gremlin ( tether cord, bad battery & a bad ground connection to fuel pump etc... ) after backing the boat down the ramp and into the water . As I was trouble shooting other boats were waiting to use the ramp. So instead of holding people up or pulling the boat back out . I was thinking of burping the motor QUICKLY to make sure it fires . I was told that would cause any mechanical issues.

Any thoughts

2. Collapse Details

I always run them at home on the hose before I go. Then again in the water. I am talking past boats, this one ain't done.

3. Collapse Details

Impeller? Wouldn't be worth it to me. Hate to be 10 miles out and have the stupid things go up on me.

4. Collapse Details

my launch is 30 miles away so i always warm it up at home for 10 mins before i hook up.
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

5. Collapse Details

I warm up at home on the hose where all the tools are. And no one is waiting for me to get out of there way. I hate boat ramp mechanics!
    Taking Over the World One Thread at a Time
    The Penguin Cometh

6. Collapse Details

I've changed a bunch of impellers over the years. I would never run dry even for a second.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Davidmnc View Post
    I warm up at home on the hose where all the tools are. .
    Thinking this might be my new procedure

8. Collapse Details

I head to the ramp and hope for the best..... NO doubt this will come back to haunt me.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Seafordguy View Post
    I head to the ramp and hope for the best..... NO doubt this will come back to haunt me.
    Y? I guess if you live in a sub that wont allow it. I live in the country so no reason I cant run it at home first. Plus I love to hear the engine while I stand behind the exhaust

10. Collapse Details

Most of the time I start the motors for a bit before the ramp, at storage. But even at the ramps, once the drives are in the weater, I turn the motors over, start for a few sec. just making sure batteries are still good. Then I release the boat.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    Y? I guess if you live in a sub that wont allow it. I live in the country so no reason I cant run it at home first. Plus I love to hear the engine while I stand behind the exhaust
    I live in the city but out near the suburbs and my neighbors and I are good. I keep the starts to a minimum and I don't do it for entertainment and they are glad that I have a hobby that keeps me outside watching their houses while I work on the boat.

And I love their dogs that bark like crazy and the dogs love me. So, they look the other way.

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Impeller? Wouldn't be worth it to me. Hate to be 10 miles out and have the stupid things go up on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
    I've changed a bunch of impellers over the years. I would never run dry even for a second.

mmmmhhhhhh,,,,who said anything about running the engines dry ?????

Everybody should fire them up at the hose .at home/storage....just to make sure nothing leaks...and everything is ok...how stupid is it , to get to the ramp and find out to go back home and while finding out keep fellow boaters from having fun ?!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
    I'm only about 4 miles to the ramp so if I get down there and something isn't right nothing is really lost.....

My neighbors don't care at all. The neighbors all laugh about how I rattle the entire neighborhood awake when I come home at 1 or 2 am.... I'm lucky enough that I have lived on the same street my entire life so they just like to see me enjoying myself.

14. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I have barked them dry for years. Ra Ra vroom off. No issues. There is water in the lines and motor. The impeller doesn't care if it fires for 1 second.

I did however get scolded once because someone insisted not to. He gave no particular reason. If you really get particular every time you start the engine it has to build oil pressure so the most anal guys crank theirs no spark until oil pressure shows and then hit ignition. If I had $90k engines I would too.

Last thought. I don't do it to outboards though. I had one many years ago that I barked and it wouldn't turn off. I started pulling spark plugs to kill it. It ran until the very last on was off. It didn't hurt it but I must have looked like a nut to any witness. Motor running, no water in sight and me in a panic.

15. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post

Last thought. I don't do it to outboards though. I had one many years ago that I barked and it wouldn't turn off. I started pulling spark plugs to kill it. It ran until the very last on was off. It didn't hurt it but I must have looked like a nut to any witness. Motor running, no water in sight and me in a panic.
    WOW ...thats crazy

What was it why it would not shut off..u ever found out ??

16. Collapse Details

I never do, I just drop the lift to the boarding level and warm them up...btw what's a ramp....lol...

17. Collapse Details

An outboard grounds the ignition to kill it. Like a magneto. It had no ground.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nortech4play View Post
    I never do, I just drop the lift to the boarding level and warm them up...btw what's a ramp....lol...
    No need to there.

19. Collapse Details

If you just built your motor or had previous problems I understand...but why waste the time? If my boat ran flawless Fri., Sat. and Sun. then parked in my driveway...why check to make sure everything is ok the next weekend?...Sure, next time at the ramp I will make sure water is coming out the exhaust upon start-up, but other than that, I have trust in my motors. If you can't trust your motors...you likely used the wrong builder.

Its called standard maintenance...new impellers every two, and new plugs, wires, caps and rotors every year. If it needs it or not, it is standard maintenance. At 600 hours, new rings, bearing, re-do the heads if they need it or not.

Although, if I lived two hours from the ramp, I would likey make sure they at least turned over.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    mmmmhhhhhh,,,,who said anything about running the engines dry ?????
    mmmmmhhhh...re-read his post.