Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Learned a little lesson about fibeglass yesterday........
    DONT SIT IN WET RESIN

I was glassing the port stringer, and turned around to do the starboard. It was getting very close to raining, and I wanted to hurry and get the cover on, not thinking I sat in the wet resin Got it fixed up, and complete, but as I was putting the cover on, it started to kick, DAMN that stuff burns when it gets in a spot it not supposed to be
    Last edited by rchevelle71; 04-19-2010 at 09:28 AM.

2. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    DONT SIT IN WET RESIN

I was glassing the port stringer, and turned around to do the starboard. It was getting very close to raining, and I wanted to hurry and get the cover on, not thinking I sat in the wet resin Got it fixed up, and complete, but as I was putting the cover on, it started to kick, DAMN that suff burns when it gets in a spot it not supposed to be
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3. Collapse Details

Could be worse like in your eye and need a acetone wash out.
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve 1 View Post
    lol

5. Collapse Details

Been there .. done that. Long time ago I was mixing, and it "splashed" right on my face, sme in my eyes. Not a good thnk.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

6. Collapse Details

About 20 years ago I was working on my Velocity. I needed to fill in an area and had not appropriate filler. Being a Sunday and wanting to gain some ground, I opted to use bondo. Heavier and stronger, but worked just the same. I mixed up probabaly two quarts and started filling this seam. Not paying attention, I dropped the bucket on the cockpit floor and it all came out. Hurriedly I started scooping it up with my bare hands and moving it where it needed to be. I guess I put too much catalyst in it as it went off pretty fast. I got it all in and levelled, but I now had bondo gloves. Serious bondo gloves. I basically had to poke and pick it off. Took HOURS. My hands were a raw, bloody mess by the time I was done.

7. Collapse Details

I am already super safety cautious, and wear goggles and mask when grinding(something I never did when I was youger and worked on cars), now your gonna have me wearing goggles while rolling out the resin, better yet, I think I need a full rubber suit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suit.jpg  

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    About 20 years ago I was working on my Velocity. I needed to fill in an area and had not appropriate filler. Being a Sunday and wanting to gain some ground, I opted to use bondo. Heavier and stronger, but worked just the same. I mixed up probabaly two quarts and started filling this seam. Not paying attention, I dropped the bucket on the cockpit floor and it all came out. Hurriedly I started scooping it up with my bare hands and moving it where it needed to be. I guess I put too much catalyst in it as it went off pretty fast. I got it all in and levelled, but I now had bondo gloves. Serious bondo gloves. I basically had to poke and pick it off. Took HOURS. My hands were a raw, bloody mess by the time I was done.
    BONDO ON A BOAT

I have been picked on about that before, but I guess it depends where it is used, definitely nothing structural. I have dropped Bondo before, back in my car days, but never had to mix up 2 quarts at a time, just the regular board with about a half pint at most, and not in the cockpit, usually on the shop floor, but it does always land bondo side down

9. Collapse Details

Picture this...........

I get done covering the boat, run around to the front of the house to the garage, close the garage door, and strip down to nothing. Grab a rag, and the gallon of acetone, and start wiping the backs of my legs and buttcheeks with the acetone soaked rag. About this time I hear my wife pull up(Mustang GT, so I can definitely tell its her), and think to myself, "OK, what is this going to look like" but it was burning, and the Acetone felt so cool, so I just kept cleaning up, she comes in the house, and goes straight to the garage and just gives me one of theselooks, and says "what the heck did you do now" Once I finished cleaning up, I had to take her out to the boat and explain how one stringer was wet with resin, and when I turned around to do the other side sat in it, come on, it wasnt like I was asking her to wipe resin off my azz

10. Collapse Details

Funny stuff Chevelle. Worth while stealing the thread. But, you got dibs, for the best "stuff" on you. Did you have a hard time going No. 2?
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

11. Collapse Details

Making memories!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Funny stuff Chevelle. Worth while stealing the thread. But, you got dibs, for the best "stuff" on you. Did you have a hard time going No. 2?
    NAH,

didnt get any in the crack thank god, just on the cheeks.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post

BONDO ON A BOAT

:
    I know.

It was actually overkill. I just didn't have any featherlite. I needed to make a radious on an inside right angle to glass over it.

The bad part about bondo is that it uses talc as a filler. Talc expands whern it gets wet. On an interior it's probably OK. Would never want to fill a gouge in a bottom with it though.

14. Collapse Details

You have to really know what you're doing when working w/ fiberglass. Here one of my guy's shows the proper way to grind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glenn.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Sounds like a pain in the azz
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

16. Collapse Details

Ya gotta love fiberglASS!! HAHAHA

Sorry guys, I couldn't help it!!

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    You have to really know what you're doing when working w/ fiberglass. Here one of my guy's shows the proper way to grind.
    That looks about right Just picture that with goggles on, and a beer in one hand, and that would be me.

18. Collapse Details

Damn Rick!!! Ouch!
    AKA - "Pantera24" on OSO
    1981 Pantera Sport 24' "FactorX"

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    I wonder why these guys all look a like...lol

Do u know Leeroy ???!!! HAHAHAHA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0053.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Looks like Schultzy
    TEAM 531 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
    www.WHOZYOURDADDYRACING.com
    OPA THE JERSEY BOYZ