Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Porsche Cayenne?
    Anyone have one? If so, what do you think of it?

Looking for opinions mainly on the base or S models...turbo is out of the question.

We currently have a Lexus GX470 for the family truckster, and have been considering getting rid of it. I've been looking at 06 - 07 Cayennes, and I've got the wife convinced to at least go and drive one. (She uses this vehicle about 10x more than I do.)

Just looking for overall opinions, mainly on reliability. The "local" Porsche dealer is about 40 minutes away, and the closest good Porsche independent mechanic is about the same distance. Fortunately, I didn't need either very often when I had my 993.

The Lexus dealer is also as far, but the truck has almost never been there, so it hasn't been an issue.

2. Collapse Details

My mother drives one.. Non turbo. Not a bad ride. A lot more comfortable than her old M500. I drove it from Orlando to Atlanta before and it was a nice ride. So far she has had it two years and not one problem. Seems to be a good ride. She does drive a lot.

3. Collapse Details

Tommy Gun owns one. I'm sure he can give you all the details.

4. Collapse Details

Loan Ranger's wife has one. We rode it to the keys a couple of years ago. Very nice ride. It has pulled the 29 Extreme before also. Dave
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

5. Collapse Details

Buy one with as much warranty as you can! They can get pricey when things go wrong...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    Buy one with as much warranty as you can! They can get pricey when things go wrong...
    That I already know - this won't be my 1st Porsche.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
    That I already know - this won't be my 1st Porsche.
    My buddy had a V8 Tourag and when it ran it was a beast. However in the last year of the lease the electrical gremlins sidelined the truck. He bought a new Tundra pickup and left the Tourag at the dealer for the last few months. He was almost out of miles on the warranty so if he took it back and drove it it would lapse the warranty leaving him to foot the bill for any repairs.

I drove a Cayenne S/ 345 HP when they came out. Truck was nice but I thought it was small and we bought an Audi A8L instead. Truck is easily the best handling SUV I have ever driven.

8. Collapse Details

Sounds like a good "chick" vehicle
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    Well, my wife would be female, so I guess that works.

10. Collapse Details

I had a V8 Tourag... pulled like a MF'r

best brakes EVER in a SUV by a mile..... 14" ??

engine was out twice (no joke) to replace a supposedly defective alternator.. but that wasn't it... power cable from alt to fuse box was the culprit.. took 11 months to figure that out...

I bought a crew cab GMC and left it at the dealer for a couple months, and then VW bought it back after almost a year, and paid me back 100% cash less 15c/mile

happy camper

I almost bought a 6 speed stick Cayenne, neat package... just bought a 4wd Tahoe instead... having truck remorse already...
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    I had a V8 Tourag... pulled like a MF'r

best brakes EVER in a SUV by a mile..... 14" ??

engine was out twice (no joke) to replace a supposedly defective alternator.. but that wasn't it... power cable from alt to fuse box was the culprit.. took 11 months to figure that out...

I bought a crew cab GMC and left it at the dealer for a couple months, and then VW bought it back after almost a year, and paid me back 100% cash less 15c/mile

happy camper

I almost bought a 6 speed stick Cayenne, neat package... just bought a 4wd Tahoe instead... having truck remorse already...

I saw a deal on a Cayenne GTS 6spd and considered it for a few days......wife got a new Yukon SLT instead. 20K miles later (in 11 months) the Yukon has gotten a tire rotation (one) and a few oil changes without a single visit to the dealer for anything. I bought the right truck for a daily driver.....

12. Collapse Details

I have a 2006 Cayenne S 95,582 miles...replaced a water pump; all other maintnenance was routine; the service interval is 20,000 miles.

It still runs and drives as when new, handles great, good acceleration. Tows 6,000 lbs - pulled my Cig 20 from Cinncinati to Detroit and back to St. Louis with it. No issue. Tiptronic is great, ran 20 inch wheels with Hankook sport tires for summer and 18's with Pirelli Scorpions in the winter; with the AWD it went anywhere in the snow.

It is on the small side; biggest complaint I have with it is changing the rear seat up and down...since we hauled 2 big dogs to the lake house every week it was a constant routine that got a bit old...other than that a GREAT vehicle. Get the sport exhaust...sounds gooood.

I would definitely get the S though...the 6 didn't have enuf juice for me.

FYI it is going back to the dealer tomorrow to be sold; I still have the 20 inch sport wheels and tires if you get one and are interested. Otherwise they're going on e-bay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cig20 2008-1.jpg   IMG_0763.jpg  
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

13. Collapse Details

Banned
    Well, my wife would be female, so I guess that works.
    lol

14. Collapse Details

Good info guys - thank you all.

Looks like the size may be what makes or breaks it for us. I'm going to drive one this weekend and see.

You think they'll mind if I bring my 185 pound Mastiff to "test fit" her in the back?

15. Collapse Details

Looks like the size may be what makes or breaks it for us. I'm going to drive one this weekend and see.

You think they'll mind if I bring my 185 pound Mastiff to "test fit" her in the back?
    With the seats down plenty of room...I hauled 2 Goldens; there is also a cargo net screen that rolls up vertically and hooks to the ceiling to keep the dog from climbing between the front seats.

16. Collapse Details

What they don't know won't hurt them..... Dave
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: Jesus Christ and the
    American Military. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    Skanks excluded.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    Skanks excluded.
    Don't B so quick 2 judge!!!!!!!

19. Collapse Details

I do a lot of work on them. One of the techs told me it takes like 1 hour to put it into "service mode" to work on the engine. Overall my customers have been very satisfied with them. If you get one and need any gadgets , sirius , bluetooth , ipod integration , rear seat entertainment yadda , yadda. I do that for the local dealer here.

Bill N on the board here gets a good share of them , might want to check with him.
    Last edited by jhenrie; 04-16-2010 at 10:10 AM.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post

FYI it is going back to the dealer tomorrow to be sold; I still have the 20 inch sport wheels and tires if you get one and are interested. Otherwise they're going on e-bay.
    Why sell it now? It has been a good run and I can't believe you are getting any decent money for it with 96K on the clock....