Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Its being sold for $20k...I don't own it personally; it belongs to the company I sold 1.5 years ago; my use agreement expired and I would have had to buy it from them. I found a 2009 Ford Expedition Limited with 6,500 miles that appeared to be a better value, and now that I live at LOTO full time, the nearest Porsche dealer is 1.5 hours away. Although service hasn't been a problem to date at 95.5k miles it could start becoming a bigger issue. If I had owned it personally I would have kept it until it blew up. I really enjoyed driving it. Still have my 1997 993 though!
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    Its being sold for $20k...I don't own it personally; it belongs to the company I sold 1.5 years ago; my use agreement expired and I would have had to buy it from them. I found a 2009 Ford Expedition Limited with 6,500 miles that appeared to be a better value, and now that I live at LOTO full time, the nearest Porsche dealer is 1.5 hours away. Although service hasn't been a problem to date at 95.5k miles it could start becoming a bigger issue. If I had owned it personally I would have kept it until it blew up. I really enjoyed driving it. Still have my 1997 993 though!
    You are definitely ahead of the game on that SUV......My sister had a similar issue moving to the midwest with a Volvo/BMW only to find the nearest dealer was out of state! They now own a pair of GMCs.......

993's are last of the old school 911's!

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post

993's are last of the old school 911's!
    True, true...bought it new in April 1997, 993 Carerra S, 10,xxx miles; all original.

4. Collapse Details

Tommy Gun - Hope you have better luck with that '09 Expedition than I had with the '04 we bought new before this Lexus. We figured it would be convenient, since there's a Ford dealer about 2 minutes from my house. That turned out to be a good thing, since the truck was there more than it was here.

Oh...and I couldn't agree more on 993's. I miss mine, and will replace it with another sooner or later.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
    Anyone have one? If so, what do you think of it?

Looking for opinions mainly on the base or S models...turbo is out of the question.

We currently have a Lexus GX470 for the family truckster, and have been considering getting rid of it. I've been looking at 06 - 07 Cayennes, and I've got the wife convinced to at least go and drive one. (She uses this vehicle about 10x more than I do.)

Just looking for overall opinions, mainly on reliability. The "local" Porsche dealer is about 40 minutes away, and the closest good Porsche independent mechanic is about the same distance. Fortunately, I didn't need either very often when I had my 993.

The Lexus dealer is also as far, but the truck has almost never been there, so it hasn't been an issue.
    I have a Turbo S, it's my wife's daily driver. Have had zero problems with it. My only complaint is the tires are REALLY soft and only last 10,000 miles other wise great car.
    Run until it sounds expensive

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    I have a Turbo S, it's my wife's daily driver. Have had zero problems with it. My only complaint is the tires are REALLY soft and only last 10,000 miles other wise great car.
    FACT: Porsche's EAT tires. I'm on my second set already at 10k miles....it sits alot and gets flat spots.

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    My folks have a 2010 Turbo. It's their 2nd one. I just bought my girlfriend a used Turbo. One of my best friends has an 06 Turbo S, so I've got a pretty good amount of experience around them.

They have all been very reliable, and maintenance has been routine on all of them, other than a U-Joint failure once, which required the drive shaft to be replaced. Surprisingly, the drive shaft was "only" $600, which I thought was very reasonable for a foreign, high end vehicle.

I would absolutely buy another one, & drive one myself if I wanted a small to midsized SUV.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Still have my 1997 993 though!
    I had one too, same year. That was a really fun car, and I wish I'd had room to sit it aside for occasional drives.

Here it is with a different spoiler:

9. Collapse Details

FACT: Porsche's EAT tires. I'm on my second set already at 10k miles....it sits alot and gets flat spots.
    My daughter can't get 10K out of the rears on her BMW. And she drives like an old woman. She damn near stops for turns. There's some goofy alignment procedure so the dealer can't even do it. It has to go to a specialty shop. The swear it's perfect. I just put tires with 600 wear rating on it in the fall and it needs tires again. Wifes- no issue.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post

Surprisingly, the drive shaft was "only" $600, which I thought was very reasonable for a foreign, high end vehicle.

That sounds downright cheap. The thermostat was sticking on the Mrs'.

$200. With me installing it. For a F'ing thermostat.

11. Collapse Details

Charter Member, Competitor Cookee's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have the V10 diesel Taureg in England - pulls like a freight train and reliable for me! Same as the Porsche under the skin and has the air ride suspension - fantastic!