Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What's up with all the Video's from Jeff????
    I've noticed lately, that Jeff has been posting a ton of video's from his archives, here on the OTD thread. Seems like he is posting just a bit too much? Is there any reason, why the video's are not being moved to his dedicated galleries? I am aware Jeff, has been quite helpful in helping promote the website, but it doesn't make sense to me, to have the same post in 3 or 4 different threads on the board.

I do not have a dedicated gallery for my photos, but I limit what I post, to primarily the Offshore Boards, as that is what I have become more involved with. Just my opinion, but is it too much to ask of Jeff, to restrict posting his videos to his dedicated gallery, where he has dedicated space to post videos/ photos?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time, to read my question.

James
    Last edited by Eaton Photos; 04-12-2010 at 05:58 PM.

2. Collapse Details

I agree...

3. Collapse Details

I have been asking Jeff for months to put together some videos for us. In the dead of winter it's been nice seeing some of this great action.

Let me make some points- feel free to disagree if you like.

1. These videos aren't chep to produce or buy. It's expensive to fly to a race, rent a helicopter and video the event.

2. Youtube is one of the most popular sites on the web. Clearly people like to watch videos on the internet. For months before Jeff started posting, people would find videos and post them on the site. They were some of the most popular threads on the site. So popular that we had our programming altered so that videos could be embedded right in the threads.

3. The videos Jeff posts are very popular. Take a look at the number of views listed in each thread. People are apparently enjoying them.

4. We have a broad variety of people posting on the site. Many of the regulars are well known. Some you might like, some maybe not. Of the one's you know, if you see their name you can always choose to not enter the thread. You an also put anyone you like on "ignore" and not see them. All of Jeff's videos are clearly identified. If you on't want to view them, you don't have to. Just as you don't have to go into political threads or any others you don't choose. But just because you have no interest in them I see no reason to deprive those that do from watching them.

And to your point James, I guess I don't understand. For what reason do you limit what you post? Do you thing what you presently post is an imposition on our members and you're holding back? If you've got good pics that entertain people, why not post them? And for those that don't want to see good shots of cool boats in action, they'll see Eaton Photos and keep going. But I don't think we have many members that don't like boat pics.

It's just like the mall, guys. You don't have to go into all the stores just because they're there.

4. Collapse Details

ya but like 40 flat deck said jeff is bogarting and hijacking threads that are good threads.
    BOATING BABYYYY

NJPPC COMMITEE MEMBER
    www.njppc.com
    www.njboa.org

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have been asking Jeff for months to put together some videos for us. In the dead of winter it's been nice seeing some of this great action.

Let me make some points- feel free to disagree if you like.

1. These videos aren't chep to produce or buy. It's expensive to fly to a race, rent a helicopter and video the event.

2. Youtube is one of the most popular sites on the web. Clearly people like to watch videos on the internet. For months before Jeff started posting, people would find videos and post them on the site. They were some of the most popular threads on the site. So popular that we had our programming altered so that videos could be embedded right in the threads.

3. The videos Jeff posts are very popular. Take a look at the number of views listed in each thread. People are apparently enjoying them.

4. We have a broad variety of people posting on the site. Many of the regulars are well known. Some you might like, some maybe not. Of the one's you know, if you see their name you can always choose to not enter the thread. You an also put anyone you like on "ignore" and not see them. All of Jeff's videos are clearly identified. If you on't want to view them, you don't have to. Just as you don't have to go into political threads or any others you don't choose. But just because you have no interest in them I see no reason to deprive those that do from watching them.

And to your point James, I guess I don't understand. For what reason do you limit what you post? Do you thing what you presently post is an imposition on our members and you're holding back? If you've got good pics that entertain people, why not post them? And for those that don't want to see good shots of cool boats in action, they'll see Eaton Photos and keep going. But I don't think we have many members that don't like boat pics.

It's just like the mall, guys. You don't have to go into all the stores just because they're there.

6. Collapse Details

I enjoy the videos!He also gave me a ton of videos in the keys a few years back VHS that I still have heavy suitcase

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOJOE2 View Post
    ya but like 40 flat deck said jeff is bogarting and hijacking threads that are good threads.

example?

8. Collapse Details

Jeff also post oversized pics so your forced to scroll right and left when you get back to the thread. I though pics were only going to be 800 pixels wide. why cant he stick to the rules i have read here!
    BOATING BABYYYY

NJPPC COMMITEE MEMBER
    www.njppc.com
    www.njboa.org

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Jeff also post oversized pics so your forced to scroll right and left when you get back to the thread. I though pics were only going to be 800 pixels wide. why cant he stick to the rules i have read here!
    Example?

Pix in the media section can be any size.

10. Collapse Details

Yes- posts are 800 wide EXCEPT in the media section. We allow them there as sometimes people want more than a little pic. All the photogs are very responsible in adhering to this. We assembled these guidelines based on their input. They agreed that over 800 blew the page out and lessened the experience. Please be sure if you've hit a thread by using the "new posts" button that you're not in a photog's section.

Remember people, we have a whole flock of moderators. They've made this site what it is. They're so all-over the site they hit issues before they'rte ever reported. But if you see something, there are 20 people that get that report e-mail and are on it.

11. Collapse Details

In the past you had to spend big $$$ to watch Jeff's Freeze Frame vids. I really appreciate him posting them up here for free!!!!

Thanks Jeff!

Kurt

12. Collapse Details

Do you mean to say that Jeff is posting a video in the middle of a particular thread about something different? If you could show an example it would help.

Jeff is an asset to the site, as are all of the photographers. We're all thankful they're here and posting their action. And they're all businessmen. The quid pro quo is they get to ecpose theit products to potential customers. I don't want to speak for any of them, but I'm certain they don't wish to alienate any of their customers with their activities here.

13. Collapse Details

its just another form of advertising - if every boat yard, or dealer started to post photos of they boats for sale would that be acceptable? I think there is a media section - but maybe I am wrong. Maybe the mods should open a "classic video " link - then everyone will be happy - and those that want to see that can view it -
    I dont blame Jeff - he is just doing advertising to keep his product infront of clients - I probably would do the same if I was still in business.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by NNRT View Post
    its just another form of advertising - if every boat yard, or dealer started to post photos of they boats for sale would that be acceptable? .
    If a large portion of the membership found that entertaining, we would certainly accommodate it.

We're here to bring interesting things to the members of the site. Themembers tell us pretty clearly what they like and don't like. And when you see high numbers on the thread visit counter we assume people like them. I would never want to discourage any sort of feedback from anyone on any topic. If we can make the site a better place, we will.

This is something we talk about in regards to site moderation all the time. Not everything needs to be addressed. If it's disinteresting, it'll be off the front page in a very brief while. The only way to stay on the front page is if people add to the thread.

15. Collapse Details

I personally don't have an issue with the videos though it does seem to be a bit much. I don't look at that many of them but once in a while I check one out. My only concern would be that if this opportunity is given to an advertiser then the same should be given to all advertisers. Not sure I'd love to see entry after entry from say Eddie Marine for example (not even sure if they advertise here, just sayin) or any other product distributer or manufacturer.

16. Collapse Details

I think the vids are great! Brings back some great old school footage. Like Chris said if you don't like em you can choose not to watch em. Some of these vids are priceless, and if Jeff didn't post them , there's a whole generation that would never see this stuff!
    Nothing wrong with stirring up some interest to get things moving.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    In the past you had to spend big $$$ to watch Jeff's Freeze Frame vids. I really appreciate him posting them up here for free!!!!

Thanks Jeff!

Kurt
    +1 and they have helped me get through the winter!

18. Collapse Details

hell....thanks Jeff...i sure do appreciate you taking the time to post them

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I personally don't have an issue with the videos though it does seem to be a bit much. I don't look at that many of them but once in a while I check one out. My only concern would be that if this opportunity is given to an advertiser then the same should be given to all advertisers. Not sure I'd love to see entry after entry from say Eddie Marine for example (not even sure if they advertise here, just sayin) or any other product distributer or manufacturer.
    The opportunity is equally open to all of the recognized photographers. There's a difference between their product and like in your example Eddie Marine. This is their product. They're giving it away. When you see a photo in Powerboat from Jeff or Tim or Jay, Powerboat paid them for that. These guys put their product here for your enjoyment at no cost to us.

Nothing is free. None of these guys is doing this solely because they like renting helicopters to photograph boats. It costs big bucks. The tradeoff is like this- you get pictures to enjoy, they get exposure to potential customers, we get happy members.

20. Collapse Details

Grosse Ile,Mi. Kalkaska, Mi. Ft Myers Beach Fla.
    Keep them coming Jeff , btw jeff is one of the nicest guys around.