1. Collapse Details
    Twin Step Rack Storage
    Anyone out there with experience rack storing a step bottom?

If all goes as planned I'll be moving my boat in the next couple of weeks to rack storage. What's the best way to accommodate the bottom? The place has the typical rack storage bumper stuff. They say I can modify how I want.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. Collapse Details

line up the rack so the boat sits flat on the strakes. You do not want part of the step hanging off the back.

3. Collapse Details

Also, watch how the forks of the lift pick the boat. If they put too much pressure on the edge of the step, it can crack it and cause small problems that can turn into major issues! Ask Glassdave, he has done many repairs on improperly handled step bottom boats.

4. Collapse Details

Definetly look out for cracks. Seems to happen alot...

5. Collapse Details

Major much experience with rack storing a step bottom Fountain.

1- when the fork lift drive goes to pick up the boat make darn sure he does not move the forks in and out to try and adjust the boat to the forks. He need to do this and set up the forks in the water BEFROE they touch the bottom of the boat.

2-Make sure the forks are covered in thick highly padded rubber. Absolutly no rope wraped forks or forks with a sleeve or rubber tubing.

3- build up the back end of the bunks your step bottom boat will sit on other wise if you donot all the weight will sit right on the edge of the steps. Or you can but bunks built for the step bottom and install them in your high n dry rack.
    Mike
    2006 Fountain 38TE..CC..Outboards Baby!

6. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0421.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	59737

Here is how mine sits on the lift not the best angle but you can see it.I built the bunks up like was stated before and yes forks can hurt a step bottom.I would tip at the start of the season.100 bucks goes a long way sometimes.

7. Collapse Details

Observe the rack and launch first... some have a tendency to hire kids during the summer and some of them are not the most adept at forklift operations. Some places unfortunantly , rack and launch means warehouse bumperboats.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

8. Collapse Details

Thanks for the replies so far. The place is member owned and they don't have kids running anything. The good news is it isn't packed out with boats. I think only about 1/3rd full thus far so I can "train" the operators.

I am pretty certain the forks have the thick rubber on them. All the equipment is new stuff too (within a couple years) so it isn't like some of the places with ridiculously old stuff.

I have not yet had a chance to check the measurements on my strakes Vs. the bunks.

Any suggestions on what to use on the rack? It is metal with thick rubber covering it. obviously flat. I need to build up the steps and do so in such a way that there is some forgiveness to the lift operator.

Where should the boat be lifted, near the outside?

should the boat sit on the bunks like it does the trailer? It seems that the rack bunks are far narrower than the trailer bunks. Do I shoot for the inner strakes Vs. the outer they are on now? there is only a strake on the outside rear, then a pair on the middle step, and one inner forward. pic attached.

Thanks in advance for any help, I don't want to screw this up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Donzi bottom.JPG  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fever Mike View Post
    Major much experience with rack storing a step bottom Fountain.

1- when the fork lift drive goes to pick up the boat make darn sure he does not move the forks in and out to try and adjust the boat to the forks. He need to do this and set up the forks in the water BEFROE they touch the bottom of the boat.

2-Make sure the forks are covered in thick highly padded rubber. Absolutly no rope wraped forks or forks with a sleeve or rubber tubing.

3- build up the back end of the bunks your step bottom boat will sit on other wise if you donot all the weight will sit right on the edge of the steps. Or you can but bunks built for the step bottom and install them in your high n dry rack.
    Those two are VIP! My boat had no steps but it would kill me to watch the guy adjust the forks while the boat was being lifted Come on they had plenty of time to adjust to the boat as I moved it back The first marina I rack stored at had Wiggins lifts newer ones that had awesome forks the second rack building not so much they had the old tube style which they claim do not scratch I used carpet and padding to build up the rack for the boat. Good luck

10. Collapse Details

Wow - great thread. I have been rack storing for over two yrs and didn't know half this.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Observe the rack and launch first... some have a tendency to hire kids during the summer and some of them are not the most adept at forklift operations.
    That was me...add in a nasty hangover and you have recipe for a disaster...although I was a very skilled operator.

12. Collapse Details

i would say go to the place where your going to store it and watch them load and unload boat's without them knowing who you are .
    most of the time you will call ahead to have the boat put in the water so you will not be there watching them .
    for the most part the boat will get beat up . and whatever you do if you are on salt water and need to flush make sure you do iit yourself . if you tip the guy's i would say most of them will flush for about 1 minute per motor and then the rest of them as soon as you leave will not flush at all even thow you tiped them . and one minutes is not enough time it should be a minumum of 5 minutes per motor . and those guy's dont like to hold the forklift up for that long .
    i have had my boat's at 4 difrent in an out place in the ft lauderdale area over the year's paying between $ 600 to 800 a month . you would think for that kind of money they would take care of it but they dont care about your boat . but they sure do like the tip's even thow they dont do anything for them .

mike

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
    i would say go to the place where your going to store it and watch them load and unload boat's without them knowing who you are .
    most of the time you will call ahead to have the boat put in the water so you will not be there watching them .
    for the most part the boat will get beat up . and whatever you do if you are on salt water and need to flush make sure you do iit yourself . if you tip the guy's i would say most of them will flush for about 1 minute per motor and then the rest of them as soon as you leave will not flush at all even thow you tiped them . and one minutes is not enough time it should be a minumum of 5 minutes per motor . and those guy's dont like to hold the forklift up for that long .
    i have had my boat's at 4 difrent in an out place in the ft lauderdale area over the year's paying between $ 600 to 800 a month . you would think for that kind of money they would take care of it but they dont care about your boat . but they sure do like the tip's even thow they dont do anything for them .

mike
    Yup. I had the "premium package" or whatever, where they were supposed to hoses and wipe down the hull and flush the engines when they pulled it out. They barely hosed it off and I doubt they ever actually flushed it when i didnt stick around a specifically ask for it. It was usually busy so it was leave your boat inthe slip and they will get to it and take care of it. They also lost my cover. I'm done with rack storage marinas. If I go back to any marina it will be on my own lift.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post

mike
    Go to the Port Marina in Lauderdale. Hands down the best...no forklift, computer controlled lift, climate controlled...

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cowisl View Post
    Go to the Port Marina in Lauderdale. Hands down the best...no forklift, computer controlled lift, climate controlled...
    They dont take cats. Do they flush the engines, wipe the engines, and spray down the drives? When they opened they were asking top $$$ for the spots, they're selling now for about 1/3 of that now but still have pretty high maintanence costs. It is a nice system. 2 more computer controlled rack storage dockominums were planed for the area, sundance and hi-lift were both suppost to convert but the economy seemed to kill it.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Speed View Post
    They dont take cats. Do they flush the engines, wipe the engines, and spray down the drives? When they opened they were asking top $$$ for the spots, they're selling now for about 1/3 of that now but still have pretty high maintanence costs. It is a nice system. 2 more computer controlled rack storage dockominums were planed for the area, sundance and hi-lift were both suppost to convert but the economy seemed to kill it.
    I know they dont take cats. I own a slip and have been trying to get them to take cats. Unfortunately, its because of insurance. Slip costs have come down as have maintenance fees. You can rent a slip in there right now for around $500 per month. Nothing else comes close in my opinion.

They wash down and flush the motors everytime the boat goes out. The Port even has an ionized washing system! We have the guys spray down our drives and wipe the engines as well. I also love the fact that they have an ice machine! Call ahead and the boat is in the water stocked with ice. Check it out sometime, its top notch.