Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Towing 46 BT...Need a little insight and "Lessons Learned"
    Hello All,

I need your input...I will be towing a 46 BT to various fun/poker runs this season, which is a first for me...I have a 2005 Ford F350 4x4 Dually as a tow rig. I'd like to know any info. you can give, regarding set-up, gear, "words of wisdom" and especially any "Lessons Learned" stories..and What kind of tow/hauling/rig set-up do you have???

BTW...How much does both a 46 EC and the trailer weigh?? And do you need a CDL and/or special permits to tow???

Thank,

Divenstar .

2. Collapse Details

Dont go down Oklahoma turnpikes with them. For some reason, they get mad I would just make sure your trailer brakes/trailer are in good working order. Good tires, on both the truck and trailer and just realize how big you are while traveling down the road. Also, plan your stops! I always look for truck stops so i am not putting myself in a bind using small stations. Best of luck

3. Collapse Details

Which BT do you have? Any pics?

we tow our flatdeck with a 2500hd gmc 3/4 ton 8.1 gas, with allison tranny. We have electric/hydraulic disc brakes on our manning trailer w/8000lb axels. It is an ok setup. It tows the boat fine and has a decent amount of going and stopping power. You gotta slow down a bit in the wind though.
    Last edited by Coolerman; 04-08-2010 at 12:26 AM.

4. Collapse Details

I tow with an 03 F350 Dually 4x4. It does alright. I towed once with a small Freightliner with the 275 hp Cat. It was amazing! Boats weigh around 13K. Trailer weight depends on aluminum or steel. Steel is quite a bit more. I think my alum trailer is in the 2k range. Plus fuel and gear, I think you'll be in the 16K to 17K range all in. In most states, anything over 8' wide requires a permit. To get a permit, your truck must be rated for it. I don't think the F350 hitch pull is rated for the BT. Gooseneck set ups are though. Florida is the only place near me that will bust you good for no permit (Tex, La, and Miss not so much). When BT mfg was making 12 boats a year, they towed at night and didn't have issues.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thlwl View Post
    I tow with an 03 F350 Dually 4x4. It does alright. I towed once with a small Freightliner with the 275 hp Cat. It was amazing! Boats weigh around 13K. Trailer weight depends on aluminum or steel. Steel is quite a bit more. I think my alum trailer is in the 2k range. Plus fuel and gear, I think you'll be in the 16K to 17K range all in. In most states, anything over 8' wide requires a permit. To get a permit, your truck must be rated for it. I don't think the F350 hitch pull is rated for the BT. Gooseneck set ups are though. Florida is the only place near me that will bust you good for no permit (Tex, La, and Miss not so much). When BT mfg was making 12 boats a year, they towed at night and didn't have issues.
    And at hi rates of speed!! ask bob about that

6. Collapse Details

I also tow with a 2003 F350 4X4 four door. Tows fine its just wide up top. Ive towed in TN, GA, FLA, MISS, AR, ALB. So far no flashing lights.

7. Collapse Details
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    Which BT do you have? Any pics?

we tow our flatdeck with a 2500hd gmc 3/4 ton 8.1 gas, with allison tranny. We have electric/hydraulic disc brakes on our manning trailer w/8000lb axels. It is an ok setup. It tows the boat fine and has a decent amount of going and stopping power. You gotta slow down a bit in the wind though.
    46 EC...

No pix at present, but will post

Divenstar

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDARCHER View Post
    I also tow with a 2003 F350 4X4 four door. Tows fine its just wide up top. Ive towed in TN, GA, FLA, MISS, AR, ALB. So far no flashing lights.
    What type of emergency gear do you carry???

Divenstar

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by endeavor1 View Post
    And at hi rates of speed!! ask bob about that
    rotflmao! what ever the speed limiter was set at.......

10. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Divenstar;474103]What type of emergency gear do you carry???

Divenstar [/QUOTE

I carry a spare wheel bearing set but knock on wood never had to use it. I had a buddy weld a spindle on to his trailer then mounted an entire hub to be used for his spare tire carrier. If he lost a bearing, he just replaced the entire hub in a matter of minutes. It was a good set up. I also made 2 wide angled wood blocks in case of a flat, you put under the 2 non-flat tires and just pull the trailer up on them to change the flat tire. Even if jack needed, it will just be for a much lighter load. Make sure you have a good 4-way lug wrench that fits the lug nuts. Just an FYI to all, Manning Trailers used stainless steel sleeve covers over steel lug nuts for my trailer. When I went to service the hubs, I found the lug nuts would not come off at all as they were rusted solid under the SS sleeves. Spent days changing them out to all SS lug nuts. TH

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by thlwl View Post

Just an FYI to all, Manning Trailers used stainless steel sleeve covers over steel lug nuts for my trailer. When I went to service the hubs, I found the lug nuts would not come off at all as they were rusted solid under the SS sleeves. Spent days changing them out to all SS lug nuts. TH

12. Collapse Details

Ouch Tommy.... I take all my lugs off twice a year, once for bearing repacks, the other just to keep them free. I always anti sieze the studs too.

Also, the guy that bought my 43 talldeck has a 2005 F 250 extended cab and pulled it from hannibal to Montreal canada. He never had any issues.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Divenstar View Post
    What type of emergency gear do you carry???

Divenstar
    CASH MONEY and Beer jn case i have a problem. I did have a center wheel fly off and didnt even know it. Pulled it home 300 miles on the 2 left. The brake stuck and broke the 1/2 studs. i changed them to 14mm 1.5 a little bigger. good luck Bob

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BDARCHER View Post
    CASH MONEY, HOES and Beer Thats how I roll. Pretty sure thats what Endeavor and the Saxman do too! good luck, Bobby

15. Collapse Details

Banned
    Well, all kidding a side..u need to watch out in the keys 1000% they will pull u over and give u a ticket..because i bet your weight rating at the hitch says 10000 # and u need one (aftermarket) that says at least 17000# on the hitch it self......they don't care what the truck is rated for !!!!!!!

And the ticket is not small either.

16. Collapse Details

17. Collapse Details

I pull with a 2004 Chevy diesel dually Pulls it very well. As Chris said use truck stops for fuel and if you have a triple axle trailer at least 2 spares and a hammer to unfold your trailer fender when the rear tire blows. Keeping wheel bearing is a very good idea there is a lot of weight and one can go at any time. I lost 2 wheel bearings and 1 hub split in half coming home from Florida and the trailer was not even a year old.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    I pull with a 2004 Chevy diesel dually Pulls it very well. As Chris said use truck stops for fuel and if you have a triple axle trailer at least 2 spares and a hammer to unfold your trailer fender when the rear tire blows. Keeping wheel bearing is a very good idea there is a lot of weight and one can go at any time. I lost 2 wheel bearings and 1 hub split in half coming home from Florida and the trailer was not even a year old.
    What boat were you hauling???

Divenstar

19. Collapse Details
    Exclamation
    NO COMPROMISE, one of the baddest mama jamas out there IMO...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03208.JPG  

20. Collapse Details

NO COMPROMISE, one of the baddest mama jamas out there IMO...
    What he said.

Now it has a new tandem axle dual goose neck trailer.