1. Collapse Details
    Two Dead- 1 American -Boat Racing Australia
    Exclamation
    Another Sad Day in our sport. 120 MPH open cockpit .

http://www.kndo.com/Global/story.asp?S=12254155

Powerboat racers across Australia and the United States have been shocked and saddened over the loss of two of the sport's most highly-respected and experienced drivers.

Australian Brian McCosker and American David Bryant both lost their lives during the staging of the 2010 Taree Aquatic Club's Easter Classic on the Manning River, at Taree, about 300 kilometres north of Sydney.

McCosker, one of the sport's best-known engine builders and proprietor of Tamworth-based Liberty Speed, was driving his boat of the same name when it flipped and landed upside down on the Saturday (April 3).

Bryant was driving a boat, ‘She's the Culprit', owned by Sydney racer Dean Barry in an open race the following day (April 4).

Reports from the course suggested the engine, a blown supercharged V8, seized at an estimated 220km/hr and catapulted Bryant out of the boat. Observers said the incident happened on the first lap, about one-third down the back straight.

Rescue crews reached both drivers within seconds.

McCosker was floating face down in the water when rescue drivers reached him; he was rushed ashore and taken to the Manning Base Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

Bryant was located 50-metres away from his boat and sadly an identical situation occurred at the hospital where he, too, was unable to be revived.

Police are investigating both accidents and will prepare the necessary reports for any coronial inquest.

No cause of death in either case has been announced.

McCosker is believed to be separated and leaves two sons; Bryant was married, but with no children.

Tony Walsh, former president of the Australian Power Boat Association (APBA) and a close friend of both men, was understandably shattered at the loss of what he termed 'two fine men and fine competitors.'

Brian McCosker - Powerboat-World.com ©
    Both were scheduled to compete in the forthcoming UIM Unlimited World championships planned for October at Gol Gol, on the NSW-Victorian border.

'These to accidents are beyond explanation at this stage,' Tony said.

'Both men were widely skilled and highly experienced. 'Water conditions were perfect for powerboat racing, I just can't imagine what went wrong,' he added.

McCosker, 61, was regarded as one of the finest high-performance engine builders in the sport.

He was an experienced racer with many championships to his credit.

'Brian could be described as an experienced and veteran racer highly respected by all,' Tony Walsh added.

Dave Bryant, 44, who hailed from Arizona, was recognised as one of the top powerboat drivers on the US circuit.

He had been competing for more than 15-years and tasted success in numerous classes.

In the US, Bryant had wide experience in a variety of flat bottom raceboats, Super Stock (a US class) and hydroplanes, winning national US titles in '02, '06 and '07.

He was named hydroplane ‘Rookie of the Year' in 2007 by the American Boat Racing Association.

Dave Bryant - Powerboat-World.com ©

Peter Brown, president of the Taree Aquatic Club, had little to say following the tragic weekend.

'I'm just too cut up, I'm absolutely shattered,' he said.

'Naturally, all here at the club extend our sympathies to the families and friends of Brian and Dave; our thoughts are with them all,' he said.

Alan Beale, an APBA Hall of Fame inductee and scheduled to drive the official start boat during October's UIM championships, raced against Brian McCosker several times, originally on the Coomera River, in Queensland, 25-years ago.

'He started out in 6.0-litre boats and worked his way up from there,' Beale recalled.

'I remember him as a great competitor and a top bloke.'

Would enclosed cockpits with canopies have saved both drivers?

We'll never know for sure.

As several experienced drivers have pointed out, powerboat racers in high-tech, enclosed canopies have lost their lives.

Glenn Banks, president of the APBA, said the issue of enclosed safety cell cockpits had been a major talking point within the association for some time.

'Originally, it was decided that from 2010 all boats built would have to have enclosed cockpits with suitable canopies,' he explained.

'Then, that was changed for the simple reason that no one was actually producing safety cockpits that could be installed in open boats.

'We then decided that the entire issue would again come under discussion in 2012.

'That was then changed again, and now all 6.0-litre and up boats built since 2009 must have an enclosed canopied cockpit.

'For boats built prior to '09, the enclosed cockpit remains optional,' he added.

As Banks pointed out, an enclosed cockpit is 'not the be all and end all.'

'And it will not guarantee that all drivers will survive all accidents,' he declared.

As he explained, installing cockpit safety cells in open boats is no easy task.

'These boats are simply not designed or built to include safety cells,' he said.

'Take tunnel boats and hydroplanes as an example, when they were required to have cockpit safety cells, they were simply added to the boats, the boats did not change shape.

'To incorporate a safety cell into an open boat, the engine has to be moved, the gearbox has to be moved, the propeller shaft angles change, all the things we have learnt about the handling and performance characteristics of boats, 6.0-litres and up, has gone out the window.

'In theory, of course, it's easy to demand that all boats have a reinforced safety cell cockpit, but as I explained, no one actually builds them, so where do we find them.

'Even now, with our new rule requiring ‘cells on all 6.0-litre and up boats built after '09, how do we tell a fellow with a two-year-old boat that he can't race?

'It's a very tricky situation,' he added.

Melbourne-based Banks flew to Taree late on the Saturday after hearing of the fatal accident involving Brian McCosker.

'Not in a million years did I think I'd be seeing a second fatality,' he said.

As president of the APBA, Banks spoke to the competing drivers on the Sunday morning and asked them if they wanted the meeting to proceed.

'The meeting went ahead because we all knew that's exactly what Brian would have wanted,' he said.

'Knowing Brian as I did, I can tell you this; if it had been someone else who lost their life, Brian would have been the first one on the boat ramp next morning; he'd have been deeply saddened, but ready to race as a mark of respect.

'We're a strange breed, powerboat racers.'

Banks said the Taree tragedy had touched powerboat racers from near and far.

'My telephone has been working overtime,' he said, 'I've had calls from across Australia expressing shock and sympathy.

'The entire APBA joins with me in offering sincere sympathy and condolences to the McCosker and Bryant families.

'They will never be forgotten.'

All at Powerboat-World certainly join with the APBA in offering our heartfelt sympathy.

Likewise, to the Taree Aquatic Club; I know from experience what a pall of gloom can be cast over a club following such a tragedy.

To the club and its members, we're thinking of you all.
    Miss GEICO

Boost won't save you.

2. Collapse Details

RIP

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Very sad news.

4. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Godspeed

5. Collapse Details

Contributor
    Very sad indeed. Condolences to the families and friends.

6. Collapse Details

R.I.P. condolences to family and friends.

7. Collapse Details

Parabellum FJ²B

8. Collapse Details

Thats horrible. R I P

9. Collapse Details

Banned
    SAD,SAD,SAD.......My prayers to all involved, RIP !!!!

10. Collapse Details

registered

11. Collapse Details

SAD RIP

12. Collapse Details

registered
    R.I.P.
    Our condolences.

13. Collapse Details

RIP

14. Collapse Details

That's terrible! My best to the families!