Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How The GOP Purged Me
    Banned
    Lightbulb
    Excellent essay on the sorry state of what passes for today's Republican party.

How the GOP Purged Me
    April 5th, 2010 at 12:35 pm by Chris Currey

I am an old Republican. I am religious, yet not a fanatic. I am a free-marketer; yet, I believe in the role of the government as a fair evenhanded referee. I am socially conservative; yet, I believe that my lesbian niece and my gay grandchild should have the full protection of the law and live as free Americans enjoying every aspect of our society with no prejudices and/or restrictions. Nowadays, my political and socio-economic profile would make me a Marxist, not a Republican.

I grew up in an era where William F. Buckley fought the John Birch society and kicked them out of the Republican Party. I grew up with -– in fact voted for the first time for –- Eisenhower. In 1956, he ran a campaign of dignity. A campaign that acknowledged that there are certain projects better suited to be handled by the government. See, business thinks in the short term, as he said. That’s the imperative of the marketplace. I invest and I expect that in a few quarters, I garner the fruits of my investment. Government, on the other hand, has the luxury to wait a few years, maybe decades, for a return on a given investment. As a former businessman, I know that first hand. Am I a Marxist for thinking that?

I witnessed the fight for equal civil rights in the 1960s. And as a proud American, I applauded the passage of the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act, and we became a better country because of them. Those acts made America stronger. Those acts, at their core, represented and still represent all the values upon which the Republican Party was founded. Yet today, our GOP representatives and leaders are ashamed of them. When they talk about them, you feel their discomfort, their clumsiness, and sometimes their shame. That awkwardness is so strong that it crosses the television screen and hits you in the face in your living room. Why is that? What happened to this generation of Republicans? We are the party of Abraham Lincoln, and yet we act and behave as if we are the party of Nathan Bedford Forrest.

I did not like Medicaid and Medicare when they were passed. I was opposed to them. Maybe I was too young, too strong, and too ideologically confined. Yet, over the years, I saw how Medicare helped millions of elderly Americans. I saw how Medicare helped my mom in her final years battling emphysema caused by years of smoking. You have to be blind to oppose those programs. You have to be blind to wish for the suffering of millions of Americans just because you believe in personal responsibility.

As a businessman, I was torn between my bottom line and providing health coverage for my employees. I knew that if I provided them with that coverage, their productivity increases. I did my best, but the riptide of the health insurance market defeated me. And with a heavy heart, I offered them gimmicky coverages that, deep down, I knew did not provide a comprehensive and adequate coverage, but it was the only coverage I could afford.

I voted for Nixon and for Reagan. Although I did not like the deficit spending of the Reagan administration, I blamed it on and rationalized it by the necessities of fighting the Cold War. I liked Reagan — who didn’t? Even my Democrat and liberal friends liked and respected him. I voted for Clinton, twice. I thought he was the best Republican president since Ike. No, I did not make a mistake. Bill Clinton was closer ideologically to Eisenhower and Nixon than Bush I and II could ever be. I thought that Clinton practiced and articulated true Republican ideology in his fiscal discipline, job creation, smart tax cuts, and foreign policy better than anyone since Ike.

Then something happened in the 1990s. The leaders of the GOP grew belligerent. They became too religious, almost zealots. They became intolerant. They began searching for purity in Republican thought and doctrine. Ideology blinded them. I continued to vote Republican, but with a certain unease. Deep down I knew that a schism happened between the modern Republican Party and the one I grew up with. During the fight over the impeachment of President Clinton, the ugly face of the Republican Party was brought to the surface. Empty rhetoric, ideological intolerance, vengeance, and religious zealotry became the common currency. Suddenly, if you are pro-choice, you could not be a Republican. If you are for smart and sensible taxes to balance out the budget, you could not be a Republican. If you are pro-civil rights, you could not be a Republican.

It started with minorities: they left the party. Then women; they divorced the GOP and sent it to sleep on the couch. Then, the young folks; they left and are leaving the Republican Party in droves. Then, someone stood up and told my niece and my grandchild that they are not fully Americans — just second class Americans because they are homosexual. They wished hell and damnation upon my loved ones just because they are different. Are we led by priests or are we led by rational politicians? Now, we have became the party of the Old Straight White Folks. We should rename the Republican Party the OSWF rather than the GOP.

Recently, since the election of Barack Obama, common sense has left the Republican Party completely. We are in the era of craziness. As David Frum has written, a deal was there to be made over the healthcare bill. Instead, this ideological purity blinded the GOP. As LBJ said it, instead of being inside the tent pissing out, we choose to be outside the tent, pissing against the wind. And we got splashed by our own nonsense. Why did we do that? Well, when a political party shrinks its electoral based to below 30% and is composed by one demographic group, all that is left are a bunch of zealots. We shrank it by kicking out of the party those who believe that abortion should be legal but limited. We shrank it by kicking out those who believe that an $11 trillion economy, like ours, needs a strong government, not a government that can be drowned in a bathtub. We shrank it when we sanctified Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck, and canonized Sarah Palin. These are the leaders of my party nowadays. How did we go from William F. Buckley to Glenn Beck? How did we go from Eisenhower and Nixon to Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann? I do not know. What I do know, however, is that these leaders remind of me of the leaders of the Whig Party. And if they continue on their nonsense, they will bring the collapse of the GOP.

I do not recognize myself in the Republican Party anymore. As someone said it before, I did not leave the Republican Party, the Republican Party left me. I have the same ideological positions on most of the issues that I had when I voted for Eisenhower, Nixon, Reagan and George W. Bush in 2000. However, I just cannot trust the reins of our government and nation, of this formidably complicated and complex gigantic machine that is the USA, to the amateurish leadership of the Republican Party.

We are living through tough times. We are being challenged like I have never seen America being challenged before. China is a formidable foe, and it is out there competing against us on every field and beating us on several fronts. While our education budgets are being slashed in every state across the nation, China is doubling and tripling theirs. These are the challenges and challengers that we are facing. And we need our best and brightest to lead us, not a half-term governor or radio/TV talking heads.

Maybe I am too old and too cynical, but I think the Republican party is in the last stages of agony. If nothing happens, we might win an election or even two, but in the long run we will lose America.

2. Collapse Details

Have to disagree; sure there are components of the far right that match some his description but I do not believe most Republicans fall into that category just as I do not believe all Democrats are "Progressives". I do not fit into "if you are pro-choice, you could not be a Republican. If you are for smart and sensible taxes to balance out the budget, you could not be a Republican. If you are pro-civil rights, you could not be a Republican.", yet I certainley lean to the right

I also believe in separation of church and state...but to suggest he's not a Republican because of sensible taxes and balancing the budget he certainley can't be a Democrat either because Obama is running this country into a ditch right now.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

3. Collapse Details

There is no doubt that there are a bunch of middle of the road members in each party. I suspect you would find just as many disillusioned with the Dems as you would with the Reps. The Reps had it all after 1994 and then spent the next decade pizzing it away. But if you look at history there has always been a third of the country that is stuck in the middle. And although Frum and this dude from his blog are saying the Reps are screwed, their alternative is what???? Fascist Nan and her gang of idiots? Really?? The far left has grabbed the reins on one side, it makes sense that the far right will certainly have a say on the other. But as the Pres keeps dropping like a stone and the Congress continues it's long march against the people's will I don't think we'll see any great shift to the left by the middle. The GOP may not need any serious leadership, they may just get in the same way we got Obama--HOPEY CHANGY.

4. Collapse Details

One has to assume the possibility that Mr. Currey is a fictional charachter.

And I'm tired of reading things that constitute nothing but complaints. Every criticism should be accompanied by a rational, workable solution. I'm pretty sure we already know what the issues and challenges are. Why not pit some of this brain--power to use finding ways to solve our ills?

Beyond all that, there really isn't such a thing as a cookie cutter Republican or Democrat. If you were able to quantify 100 individual core political beliefs and get true responses from everyone registered in each of those parties, then map each one onto an aggregated 3D matrix, you'd see a broad distribution across ideologies.

5. Collapse Details

I understand the majority of the country is just right of center...not far right or left; and I believe that most are fiscally conservative and socially moderate. Unfortunately its the extremeists on both sides that draw most of the attention.

6. Collapse Details

I fail to see how a 85% (and still dropping) unsatisfactory Dem Congress can even begin to solve 100% of this countries conjugal problems

the math just doesn't compute...

if the Dem's are so wonderful, then why are their ratings so abysmal?

surely, 100 million people can't be wrong here...

or, can they?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    surely, 100 million people can't be wrong here...

or, can they?
    66M were on election day

8. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    One has to assume the possibility that Mr. Currey is a fictional charachter.

And I'm tired of reading things that constitute nothing but complaints. Every criticism should be accompanied by a rational, workable solution. I'm pretty sure we already know what the issues and challenges are. Why not pit some of this brain--power to use finding ways to solve our ills?
    YOU might assume he's fictional. Why?

It seemed like a fairly rational piece- no rants, just a statement of how today's gop has allowed the fringe to dictate policy. Party of old straight white folks, indeed.

Does the gop have ANY interest in governing any more? Sure doesn't seem like it.

9. Collapse Details

I think it pretty esay to make the same argument about the Democratic party; how it has allowed the far left fringe to dictate policy; it is the party of ACORN and the ACLU; intimidated by the unions it uses sleazy tactics to pressure the blue dogs into voting the party line and back room deals catering to speacial interests while it losses all sense of fiscal sanity; racking up HUGE deficits and doles out entitlements that will hamstring this country for decades to come.

10. Collapse Details

registered
    It's quite simple. Those that need, will always prefer, require, and insist on more government; those that do, will want less.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    I think it pretty esay to make the same argument about the Democratic party; how it has allowed the far left fringe to dictate policy; it is the party of ACORN and the ACLU; intimidated by the unions it uses sleazy tactics to pressure the blue dogs into voting the party line and back room deals catering to speacial interests while it losses all sense of fiscal sanity; racking up HUGE deficits and doles out entitlements that will hamstring this country for decades to come.
    that pretty much sums it up..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jayboat View Post

There just seems to be a proliferation of these quasi-anonymous op-ed pieces everywhere. It's too well written to be the work of just some average old dude just sitting around lamenting the state of the world.

If it said "Charlie Johnson owns a small hardware store in Dubuque Iowa and has been involved in party politics since 1954", then we know who Charlie is- and can find him.

I'm not suggesting it IS fake. I am suggesting this- People do definitely believe what they read and see on TV. I would think it a very sound strategy to continually plant these articles everywhere. They hit all the right buttons. They're articulate, they harken back to a simpler time when the world was a "better place" and things were simpler- more black and white. The article is very moderate and sensible. There's no screaming at the masses about how "you fools can't see that you're wrong and I'm right". It's all just a gentle nudge. The planting of a seed.

I'm saying it would be a very smart strategy. Keep in mind, you're never going to get a huge percentage of Dems to vote GOP or vice versa. But you don't have to. You only have to get that little unsure slice in the middle to move one way or another. And those people are typically very moderate and easily influenced. You plant enough of these oblique pieces out there and the subliminals start to work on these types of people.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest I'm not the only guy who's thought of this.

13. Collapse Details

It seemed like a fairly rational piece- no rants, just a statement of how today's gop has allowed the fringe to dictate policy. Party of old straight white folks, indeed.

Does the gop have ANY interest in governing any more? Sure doesn't seem like it.
    Oddly a google of Chris Currey only brings up a realtor in Baltimore (could be him I guess) and this article. Nothing else anywhere that he has ever posted. He could be real, and he could be a fabrication to back up a point that is all to clear from Frum. Mighty nice work for a guy that has never blogged or written anywhere else on the net

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Because media management has become far more sophisticated as a result of the tremendous advances in propaganda technique fostered by the old Soviet Union .....among others. That's why I want to know exactly who is writing anything I read. In recent years there have been transcripts of numerous "speeches" published by people ranging from George Carlin to John Wayne which never took place.

First you create a problem where there is none, then create a vast argument between allegedly "opposing sides" played expertly by members of the same team. Then you focus solely on the human failings of your opposition....and broadcast minor foibles as if they were worldwide catastrophe's. It happens every day.

This guy subtly accuses the Republican party of being anti gay, anti old folks, and recalcitrant. At the same time he denigrates Reagan while praising Clinton. These are all straight Liberal Democrat talking points. He is nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing. To further complicate matters I have long believed that the Liberal agenda has been to cloud the water by putting either soft headed or left leaning candidates up for election as Republicans including that bone headed congresswoman in Maine, Bloomberg in NYC, and Arlen Specter who moves back and forth between parties like a chameleon.

What this country has long needed is a simple redefinition of the two party system. You should be able to choose between Conservative candidates and Liberal candidates with a clear picture of his or her voting record, former political affiliations, and personal history, including school transcripts, birth certificate, criminal record, and tax returns. Sadly, the vast majority of our current politicians would be driven out of office if half of this stuff was made truly public.

In the meantime you can go back to blindly screaming that Republicans are losers and Democrats are winners as if you are rooting for some high school team rather than the future of the free world.
    Allergic to Nonsense

15. Collapse Details

"In the meantime you can go back to blindly screaming that Republicans are losers and Democrats are winners as if you are rooting for some high school team rather than the future of the free world. "

AMEN!

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Oddly a google of Chris Currey only brings up a realtor in Baltimore (could be him I guess) and this article. Nothing else anywhere that he has ever posted. He could be real, and he could be a fabrication to back up a point that is all to clear from Frum. Mighty nice work for a guy that has never blogged or written anywhere else on the net
    He is still under the radar.
    No info.

http://fairspin.org/author/6773

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Because media management has become far more sophisticated as a result of the tremendous advances in propaganda technique fostered by the old Soviet Union .....among others. That's why I want to know exactly who is writing anything I read. In recent years there have been transcripts of numerous "speeches" published by people ranging from George Carlin to John Wayne which never took place.

First you create a problem where there is none, then create a vast argument between allegedly "opposing sides" played expertly by members of the same team. Then you focus solely on the human failings of your opposition....and broadcast minor foibles as if they were worldwide catastrophe's. It happens every day.

This guy subtly accuses the Republican party of being anti gay, anti old folks, and recalcitrant. At the same time he denigrates Reagan while praising Clinton. These are all straight Liberal Democrat talking points. He is nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing. To further complicate matters I have long believed that the Liberal agenda has been to cloud the water by putting either soft headed or left leaning candidates up for election as Republicans including that bone headed congresswoman in Maine, Bloomberg in NYC, and Arlen Specter who moves back and forth between parties like a chameleon.

What this country has long needed is a simple redefinition of the two party system. You should be able to choose between Conservative candidates and Liberal candidates with a clear picture of his or her voting record, former political affiliations, and personal history, including school transcripts, birth certificate, criminal record, and tax returns. Sadly, the vast majority of our current politicians would be driven out of office if half of this stuff was made truly public.

In the meantime you can go back to blindly screaming that Republicans are losers and Democrats are winners as if you are rooting for some high school team rather than the future of the free world.
    Totally agree on your take on the media. They are a huge part of the problem.

Our political system is broken. Government can't govern and one party seems only intent on trying to block any attempts of the other for progress. You call it blind screaming, I call it stating the facts.

18. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Fair enough.

19. Collapse Details

The Chris Currey (if he exists at all) who wrote that blog piece would have to be at least 72 years old by his own admission of having voted in 1956.

The realtor in Baltimore is about 45.

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    . You call it blind screaming, I call it stating the facts.
    What "facts" are you referring to? If the media obliterates the truth and you are spoon fed a "story" about this or that political party, how do you know what these so called "facts" are?

The "facts" that I deal with are much simpler:

Unemployment is going up.

Real estate values have dropped.

Banks won't give retail credit

The U.S. boat, RV, and auto businesses have been demolished

Wages are declining

Unions are gaining political strength

Taxes are on the way up

The national debt is exploding

Our military is being weakened

Our President is pushing a nuclear arms limitation that applies to us alone.

Our Senate majority leader is a reptile who finds ever more stupid ways to spend my tax dollars

Our House Majority leader is a vampire who represents no tax paying middle American.

A massive health care bill that I didn't want and no congressman has apparently read passed a few weeks ago pushed by the two creatures listed above.

We are encouraging illegal aliens to flood our nation and our schools and hospitals.

College kids think Che Guevara is a hero and Marxist/Leninism is an "interesting Point of view"

So does our President

The Democratic Party belongs in Venezuela.

The Republican Party is the Democratic Party lite.

There is nothing on the horizon to fix or even address any of the above nonsense.

Spare me the "us versus them" rhetoric....... This is about the very fabric of our society. Our (Alleged)President wants to "equalize" the world....not by bringing the have nots up to our level....but by dragging us down to theirs.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense