Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Is Fountain still a Fountain w/o Reggie?
    just curious of opinions... i was only 12 when Aronow was shot and not aware of how don not being at the company effected the line? So i was wondering what would Fountain be with out reggie or what would skater be with out pete? if these men were to retire or sell would the company still have the same success if a corporate entity came in to run it? not looking for a pissin contest just curious of opinions

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Skater would have a tough time without Pete and only a couple of very experienced and knowledgeable pro's (one for sales, one for technical/design) would have a chance to continue the legacy in any manner resembling his success.

I can also say with virtual assurance that a new CEO at Fountain would almost certainly be taller.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

3. Collapse Details

It depends on how you look at it.

Cigarette certainly benefitted by the association with Don's larger-than-life presence. But a successful company like NorTech- the owners are pretty much out of the public eye. For alot of years, Wellcraft sold a ton of Scarabs with no individual association. There are probably tons of other examples to be had, either way.

In the case of Fountain... Reggie spent as much time being the brand as he did building the boat's brand. If someone else had taken the company over, they'd have probably been making a mistake to not keep some association with Reggie. At the same time, my guess is that one out of ten Fountain owners really knows that the company has gone through some changes in the last couple years. Just as I'm sure there are Cig owners out there that thing Don is still building them on 188th.

I know one thing, if I were the guy occupying the Fountain factory today, I'd want Reggie's luck on my side.

4. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    It depends on how you look at it.

Cigarette certainly benefitted by the association with Don's larger-than-life presence. But a successful company like NorTech- the owners are pretty much out of the public eye. For alot of years, Wellcraft sold a ton of Scarabs with no individual association. There are probably tons of other examples to be had, either way.

In the case of Fountain... Reggie spent as much time being the brand as he did building the boat's brand. If someone else had taken the company over, they'd have probably been making a mistake to not keep some association with Reggie. At the same time, my guess is that one out of ten Fountain owners really knows that the company has gone through some changes in the last couple years. Just as I'm sure there are Cig owners out there that thing Don is still building them on 188th.

I know one thing, if I were the guy occupying the Fountain factory today, I'd want Reggie's luck on my side.

5. Collapse Details

If Reggie was gone...there's always Wyatt and Reggie III...

6. Collapse Details

What would Fountain be without a beak?
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    3 feet smaller

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
    3 feet smaller
    LOL!!
    I'd rather be on the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with my boat on the rocks.

9. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Fountain needs to start riggin V10's in the Poker run versions!! On topic though, i think having the "fathers" of the company still active is huge. Same could be said for my employer.
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

10. Collapse Details

my main interest in this question was in a start up business with plans of selling in the future, do you go the route of nor-tech and build the company with out a major owner presence or go the reggie route? Like for example Jim Smith plumbing would seem pretty useless after 20 years with out jim smith, however you do have 20 years of clients and a phone number that has been advertised????

11. Collapse Details

Not implying this is the case with beaks, but I think the first question should be if the product can sufficiently stand on it's own or does it need support... not saying the product is bad, more that in a crowded market, something must draw attention when things are relatively equal.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

12. Collapse Details

Henry Ford did OK naming the company after himself.

Branding isn't what you call your business, it's what you do to make the brand valuable to the market.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    my main interest in this question was in a start up business with plans of selling in the future, do you go the route of nor-tech and build the company with out a major owner presence or go the reggie route? Like for example Jim Smith plumbing would seem pretty useless after 20 years with out jim smith, however you do have 20 years of clients and a phone number that has been advertised????
    selling a service and seling a product is very different, yes, jims plumbing is nothing with out jim.

But David Clark headsets will live on long after david clark is gone. So will fountain

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wild View Post

selling a service and seling a product is very different, yes, jims plumbing is nothing with out jim.
    That's true if Jim himself is the brand. And the only way Jim becomes the brand is if it's Jim that everyone deals with. But if Jim grows his business into 30 trucks, "Jim's" is now the level of quality and service that each of those employees delivers.

This is why franchising works. Transferrable, pre-packaged brand association. There's probably anywhere from a handful to a hundred better hamburgers in your town than the one's McDonald's sells. But I know exactly what I'm getting from McD's.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    an Excalibur?
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    If Reggie we're gone and they built a new boat without the beak and with righthand levers then the baton was passed.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TCEd View Post
    If Reggie we're gone and they built a new boat without the beak and with righthand levers then the baton was passed.
    Once you get used to the left hand throttles it's fine. And if you're used to sitdown or race boat config's it's more natural. Thus the reason Reggie did it in the first place

18. Collapse Details

The beak and the left-handed throttles never bothered me as much as the height (or lack thereof) of the bolsters.

19. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
    Once you get used to the left hand throttles it's fine. And if you're used to sitdown or race boat config's it's more natural. Thus the reason Reggie did it in the first place
    I know that, I own one.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TCEd View Post
    I know that, I own one.
    I was just pointing it out because your avatar shows a fish boat. So I was just giving some background in case you didnt. Wasn't trying to be a dick
    Last edited by DollaBill; 04-06-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: not worth arguing