Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Trailer tires, what do we like these days?
    Well... what do we like?

I'll be getting new trailer tires (triple axle) soon and wondered what's been holding up and what's been going bad.

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    I prefer the goodyear marathon. I have heard of people with 16 inch wheels on the trailer taking the used tires from the truck and installing them on the trailer (replacing them a little early) they are usually load range E and hold up long enough until they dry rot. I have had the best luck and longevity with the marathon. i have had some cookie cutters before and they cracked up quick.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

3. Collapse Details

Marathons are kind of a standard, but I remember some horror stories in the past few years from Marathons.

4. Collapse Details

Marathon.

5. Collapse Details

Firestone TransForce LT tires are what I replace mine with then they go.
    Brian Tillett; Active Thunder Factory Representative
    wwwActiveThunderBoats.com
    brian(a)activethunderboats.com

6. Collapse Details

Remember a key factor is obtaining the mfg date coding, and checking it on the tires you are purchasing. Just because your buying a 'new' tire doesn't mean it hasn't been baking in various warehouses for several years. Generaly tire companies count the life of the tire from the date of manufacture with a 3 year lifespan on a tire as the tire dries out. I learned this the hard way. I purchased new tire for a truck I had, a month and a half later the tread seperated on the left rear and did major damage to the bedside. I called the tire company and told them their brand new tire failed causing damage. They had me read them the code of the tire and told me the tire was over 5 years old and was consideed worn out. Had it been under 3 years tey would hae fixed my bedside. So my brand new tire was worn out before it even hit the rim.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

BF Goodrich Commercial TA for the larger sizes
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

8. Collapse Details

I looked at the Goodrich commercial tires- they have a line of small tires- I understand they're for low-boy trailers. It's been a couple years, but I remember them being about $250 apiece. I think they were something like 16 or 18 ply. Definitely rugged.

9. Collapse Details

The BFG commercial is a good tire. we run it on ambulances and deliverey trucks. They seem to stay straight even when the customer forgets to rotate them. and the ford cantilever forn suspension on vans can be a tire killer. not so much when it comes to the commercial.

10. Collapse Details

These will be 15s.

I'll look into Marathons.
    I also have a Firestone dealer a couple blocks from the house.

11. Collapse Details

I run Marathons but they were made in Australia. Maxxis has come up as being a decent tire. Was going to look into them this year as replacements for my 6 year old Goodyears.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Remember a key factor is obtaining the mfg date coding, and checking it on the tires you are purchasing. Just because your buying a 'new' tire doesn't mean it hasn't been baking in various warehouses for several years. Generaly tire companies count the life of the tire from the date of manufacture with a 3 year lifespan on a tire as the tire dries out. I learned this the hard way. I purchased new tire for a truck I had, a month and a half later the tread seperated on the left rear and did major damage to the bedside. I called the tire company and told them their brand new tire failed causing damage. They had me read them the code of the tire and told me the tire was over 5 years old and was consideed worn out. Had it been under 3 years tey would hae fixed my bedside. So my brand new tire was worn out before it even hit the rim.
    Sorry it happened Phragle...But, excellent info...

Divenstar

13. Collapse Details

Goodyear makes a proprietary tire for Uhaul in different sizes...

find a BIG G-year commercial warehouse and check it out, I have 2 customers that sell tires in the Upper Keys and this is all they buy for boat trailers... when they can get them... neither one will stock or sell Marathon's or Carlisles.. how often have you seen a Uhaul trailer with a blow-out?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

14. Collapse Details

[ and the ford cantilever forn suspension on vans can be a tire killer.

So thats why the ONLY ford van I have in the fleet goes thru tires three times faster then the chevys

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    [ and the ford cantilever forn suspension on vans can be a tire killer.

So thats why the ONLY ford van I have in the fleet goes thru tires three times faster then the chevys
    Yes, but the silver lining is that it is strong. just scrubbs the tires when the suspension is jounced.

16. Collapse Details

Been running cooper super service for like 10 years now. Ready for my 3rd set. Now they are called like super road master.

17. Collapse Details

I run a Maxxis 10 ply 15" tire on my trailer. They are the only company that makes a 10 ply15" tire for a trailer.
    I'm extremely happy with them. Discount Tire can get them. Just have to call them because they are not online.
    I typically blew out 3 tires a season & I didn't even rotate these this past season. They still look 100% new & I put several thousand miles on my trailer last year.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    Yes, but the silver lining is that it is strong. just scrubbs the tires when the suspension is jounced.
    Easy to modify to make offroadable too.....

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Idea Baja View Post
    I run a Maxxis 10 ply 15" tire on my trailer. They are the only company that makes a 10 ply15" tire for a trailer.
    I'm extremely happy with them. Discount Tire can get them. Just have to call them because they are not online.
    I typically blew out 3 tires a season & I didn't even rotate these this past season. They still look 100% new & I put several thousand miles on my trailer last year.
    Interesting.

20. Collapse Details

Fundy, I do NOT recommend this one....