Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Frank , yes you can and in fact i have been using cabosil all week long with West system as a thicking agent and to tell you the truth i purchased a 10 lb bag of Cabosil last year for $ 60.00 and it is one of those things that just might last for years .
    Cool, thanks for the info Artie!

That west filler is expensive in comparision...

Years ago I remember having Ocean sport fish that needed space down the strut for some reason...I think the engine alignment was wayyyy off..... So, I made a concoction of vinyl resin, matt and cabosil and filled the 1/8" void... Smeared it all in and once it started to kick I cut the edges... It worked out really well and I understand the boat is still that way 10+ years later!

2. Collapse Details

Thanks Artie!! I've mastered that Cabisol, so I'll use it. 1 less product to throw away when this project is done.

Phil, I ain't worried about putting too much Gel on. My process whenever attempting auto body work or painting is to put it all on, sand 3/4's of it back off. Then apply more back where I sand too much. I'm a machinist, not a body guy.

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
    Thanks Artie!! I've mastered that Cabisol, so I'll use it. 1 less product to throw away when this project is done.

Phil, I ain't worried about putting too much Gel on. My process whenever attempting auto body work or painting is to put it all on, sand 3/4's of it back off. Then apply more back where I sand too much. I'm a machinist, not a body guy.
    If gelcoat is applied thicker then 1/8+ it will crack..and come back off,,or let water into the glass !!!!

But what do i know....

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    If gelcoat is applied thicker then 1/8+ it will crack..and come back off,,or let water into the glass !!!!

But what do i know....
    Dam ........that is the smartest thing you have ever wrote yetttttttt but not quite right and what are the chances of that really happening on a boat that does not do Triple digits and on the transom at that ........ (hello) ? I have seen a lot of things over the years and have sprayed primer (Duratec) 50 mills wet on wet working at Skater and never seen a crack and if water gets under the jell and wicks into the glass it will cause de-lamination put then again there are a whole lot of boats out there with over 30 mills on there bottoms Fountains ext ,ext ,and yes they have cracks in the jell but then again you seem to know more then anybody else considering you have been working on boats far longer then i ever have which is only 38 years and please tell me you are not a race boat driver , which only means STUPID . ?

5. Collapse Details

Hey guys, I just tried some 3m glass bubbles mixed with resin for filler on my vents. Mixed it to a peanut butter consistancy worked pretty well. I will let you know how it sands out tomorow.

6. Collapse Details

Yeah Jeff, keep us informed. Pics would be good. I'm more of a coloring book than a Readers Digest person. I'm going to use my Cabosil. I gots tons of that stuff left over. I'll be glad when I can pitch the rest! Tommorrows the day to throw some filler on and fill some old screw holes and what nots. I think once I get the transom sanded flat, things will move forward fast! Things have gone SLOW up to now, begining with the 1st cut into the old transom back in Nov. I'm ready to kick it up and get'r done!

Artie, this cruiser is a triple digit boat. Everything I do to it, has both cost 3x more than thought and took 3x as long to do.

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Dam ........that is the smartest thing you have ever wrote yetttttttt but not quite right and what are the chances of that really happening on a boat that does not do Triple digits and on the transom at that ........ (hello) ? I have seen a lot of things over the years and have sprayed primer (Duratec) 50 mills wet on wet working at Skater and never seen a crack and if water gets under the jell and wicks into the glass it will cause de-lamination put then again there are a whole lot of boats out there with over 30 mills on there bottoms Fountains ext ,ext ,and yes they have cracks in the jell but then again you seem to know more then anybody else considering you have been working on boats far longer then i ever have which is only 38 years and please tell me you are not a race boat driver , which only means STUPID . ?
    So if race boat drivers are stupid..mmmmhhhhh how did u ever get your job....lol Damn, i wish i had your knowledge,but then again i am shure glad i am not as ignorant and dumb as u are...u say a pleasure boat should not be build like a faster race boat ,,because ??????? MMMMMMHHHHHH good advertising for ya there.....lol
    Like i said before, u may be a real good glass guy but not a very smart business man or know anything about "boats" and i am not talking about laying up glass or working on them ,,there is a lot more to know about them then u and i and all us here want to know !!!!!

Whatever

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post

But what do i know....

I don't know true or not. Just go with what I read or am told. I do appreciate all opinions to help. Alot of replies bring up some info that I wouldn't have known to even consider and then I'll do some more info seeking.

Thanks

9. Collapse Details

Ok, I am not the glass expert here, but the 3m glass bubbles with resin seem to be pretty good. I am using them on my vents and not a structural location, I would see what the other guys think.