Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Banned
    If its on a cruiser that stay's in the water, just make sure it is 100% sealed and dont even worry about anything else, it was on there so..clean it up a bit and thats it !!!!!

2. Collapse Details

Guys, I've been trying to get the high spots sanded down, but for the life of me, I can't get it straight in both directions at the same time. The biggest issue here is that the transom, past the cutouts, isn't flat either when checked up/down. So I can't use that as a guide when sanding the areas I need to. It will just follow the highs/lows of the transom uneveness. I'm fugging tired of this boat!

Question,

Can I use a cheap auto body filler, Bondo, and fill in the lows right over the gelcoat, past the cutouts, since I can use a long straight edge to get both those sides flat, then use a filler/resin and fill in the gimble surface low spots? (does the gel has to come off before the filler goes on??)
    Then I can use a long straight board across wise using the Bondo as my temp. giude flat surface. Then once I'm happy with the gimble surface, sand off the Bondo back down to the gel.

Gelcoat. Getting confused here. I believe it is nothing more than colored resin. So I just mix it like the vinlyester resin I've been using, but with twice the hardner, 2% vs 1%, and just roll it on, then sand and buff? How many coats do I need? The gel would just be applied from water line or so and up.

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
    Guys, I've been trying to get the high spots sanded down, but for the life of me, I can't get it straight in both directions at the same time. The biggest issue here is that the transom, past the cutouts, isn't flat either when checked up/down. So I can't use that as a guide when sanding the areas I need to. It will just follow the highs/lows of the transom uneveness. I'm fugging tired of this boat!

Question,

Can I use a cheap auto body filler, Bondo, and fill in the lows right over the gelcoat, past the cutouts, since I can use a long straight edge to get both those sides flat, then use a filler/resin and fill in the gimble surface low spots? (does the gel has to come off before the filler goes on??)
    Then I can use a long straight board across wise using the Bondo as my temp. giude flat surface. Then once I'm happy with the gimble surface, sand off the Bondo back down to the gel.

Gelcoat. Getting confused here. I believe it is nothing more than colored resin. So I just mix it like the vinlyester resin I've been using, but with twice the hardner, 2% vs 1%, and just roll it on, then sand and buff? How many coats do I need? The gel would just be applied from water line or so and up.
    NO !!!!!! Gelcoat is gelcoat and resin is resin..

For the low spots , sand the low spots and use some MARINE-TEX,,u can buy at west marine...handles like putty...hardens like steel and sands like wood !!!!!!

Not kidding u either.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Well fulk! Now this is exactly why I have so much trouble doing any of this transom repair. Just as soon as I think I'm learning something, I learn it ain't right. Let me ask this, do you mix it and apply like resin?

Maybe you need to visit your buddy in Indy this weekend, and while your here, drive on up 1 hr north and get my chit straightened out! I'm lost.

5. Collapse Details

Banned
    Well fulk! Now this is exactly why I have so much trouble doing any of this transom repair. Just as soon as I think I'm learning something, I learn it ain't right. Let me ask this, do you mix it and apply like resin?

Maybe you need to visit your buddy in Indy this weekend, and while your here, drive on up 1 hr north and get my chit straightened out! I'm lost.
    The marine-tex,,u apply like puddy !!!!
    the gelcoat ,,,u mix sort of like resin and apply like paint !!!!!

6. Collapse Details

Thanks boss. I guess that's what I meant about the gel/resin. Kinda same way to apply.

I take it then you ain't going to visit your buddy? He ain't going to be happy 'bout that.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post

For the low spots , sand the low spots and use some MARINE-TEX,,u can buy at west marine...handles like putty...hardens like steel and sands like wood !!!!!!

Not kidding u either.
    Wrong , wrong , wrong . Gell coat is Resin with a Pigment added to produce a color !!!!!!

8. Collapse Details

Now you know how the inexperienced get so confused.

I've thought I read that too Artie, but wasn't 100% sure.

But then I 've also read, and seen some do, on here and elsewhere how gel can't be applied over epoxy, but just got done reading the West Systems How To For Dummies instructions and it says you can gel right over epoxy.

9. Collapse Details

Now you know how the inexperienced get so confused.

I've thought I read that too Artie, but wasn't 100% sure.

But then I 've also read, and seen some do, on here and elsewhere how gel can't be applied over epoxy, but just got done reading the West Systems How To For Dummies instructions and it says you can gel right over epoxy.
    Jerry , i would be very careful about the advise that West sytem tec,s have to offer because they have recomended spraying gell over epoxy in the past when i worked at Skater which failed and is one of the main reasons why we started using a primer called Duratec because Jell and Epoxy do not mix .I also would like to mention that West System Tec's advised using gell in the bilge of an Epoxy boat built at S2 YACHTS from there Pro Set line of Epoxy which also failed because of the Amiens . Jerry , i left you a voice mail at your home because i do not have your number at work .

10. Collapse Details

Jerry , i forgot to mention that Marine -Tex is a great Epoxy based product that takes 24 hours to cure and was not designed for large areas .............

11. Collapse Details

Hey Artie, which filler would be prefered for filling the lows spots from the West Sys. line? I'm thinking either the 407 or 410, going from the desciption. I also don't see any reference if they work with the vinlyester resin, since I would like it to work with both that and the epoxy. Considering the West Sys. line since I can pick some up Sat. from WM and start slapping it on this weekend if I can. Though I haven't crossed off using my left over Cabosil, just thinking might be making more work for myself if I do.

Thanks for your help. Been nice talking with you.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/filler-selection-guide/

12. Collapse Details

I thought when thinned enough gel can be sprayed, with the correct gun?

13. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman_Grafix View Post
    YES

14. Collapse Details

Hey Artie, which filler would be prefered for filling the lows spots from the West Sys. line? I'm thinking either the 407 or 410, going from the desciption. I also don't see any reference if they work with the vinlyester resin, since I would like it to work with both that and the epoxy. Considering the West Sys. line since I can pick some up Sat. from WM and start slapping it on this weekend if I can. Though I haven't crossed off using my left over Cabosil, just thinking might be making more work for myself if I do.

Thanks for your help. Been nice talking with you.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/filler-selection-guide/
    Jerry , to tell you the truth i use Cabosil for just about everything and so has every other boat co , that i have ever worked for including Thompson Boats , S 2 YACHTS , Power Quest , SKATER , which have used cabosil for everything as a filler in the past and present . Jerry no high tec $hit here, plain & simple .Jerry if you decide to go with any fillers from West system that will best fit your needs i would recomend 410 - and to tell you the truth i do not think you really need it because Cabosil will be just fine for your type of application .

15. Collapse Details

Even a Preval Sprayer .

16. Collapse Details

Can it be sprayed through a HVLP primer gun? Something with a 1.7 nozzle? i might even have one with a 2.2 around.

Seems to me that spraying would be better then rolling it on. You know, less sand and buff.

Just a paint guy trying to find out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Jerry , to tell you the truth i use Cabosil for just about everything and so has every other boat co , that i have ever worked for including Thompson Boats , S 2 YACHTS , Power Quest , SKATER , which have used cabosil for everything as a filler in the past and present . Jerry no high tec $hit here, plain & simple .Jerry if you decide to go with any fillers from West system that will best fit your needs i would recomend 410 - and to tell you the truth i do not think you really need it because Cabosil will be just fine for your type of application .
    Artie, can you use Cabosil with Epoxy? I had always used Cabosil as a thickening agent whenever I used Poly/Viny resins.

I can't remember why but when I did my transom last year I went with the West fillers to fare low spots. Most of my deeper low spots I filled with 1708 and sanded down as close as I could get with the flap disk then skimmed with the West filler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project-X042.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Artie, can you use Cabosil with Epoxy? I had always used Cabosil as a thickening agent whenever I used Poly/Viny resins.

I can't remember why but when I did my transom last year I went with the West fillers to fare low spots. Most of my deeper low spots I filled with 1708 and sanded down as close as I could get with the flap disk then skimmed with the West filler.
    Frank , yes you can and in fact i have been using cabosil all week long with West system as a thicking agent and to tell you the truth i purchased a 10 lb bag of Cabosil last year for $ 60.00 and it is one of those things that just might last for years .

19. Collapse Details

Can it be sprayed through a HVLP primer gun? Something with a 1.7 nozzle? i might even have one with a 2.2 around.

Seems to me that spraying would be better then rolling it on. You know, less sand and buff.

Just a paint guy trying to find out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Yes you can spray it through a HLVP primer gun and the bigger the tip the better .

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Yes you can spray it through a HLVP primer gun and the bigger the tip the better .
    Thanks,

Jerry let me know, that part I can help with. Should save you some sand and buff time.

Phil