Thread: Name this boat?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Name this boat?
    I have no idea what it is. This was originally posted on the Donzi page. It claims to be 27'. In my opinion it looks like large 22 classic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aronow 27.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Ill name it "Bad Ass"!

3. Collapse Details

i will call her gertrude.

4. Collapse Details

Looks like the Donzi 24. Geico Mikey's uncle has/had one at Cambridge last fall. They're rare.

5. Collapse Details

Get Brownie in on this he'll know. To me, the small raised portion of the deck make me think Cary, Just a guess though.

6. Collapse Details

I've seen that pic before in the Magnum fourms.
    They said it was a 27.

7. Collapse Details

The hull definitely looks like a 27 magnum but the raised lip on the deck makes me think Cary or what about those old forward passener cockpit Chis Crafts that were built in the mid 70s.It has the big chrome vents in the hull that Cigarette liked to do.

Here is some pics of 24 Cigs notice the placement of the chrome vents are almost identical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1109%2520006.jpg   DSC00055.jpg   DSC00270.jpg  

Last edited by tommymonza; 03-26-2010 at 04:41 PM.

8. Collapse Details

Nice big plwood hatches for ease of loading and unloading.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tommymonza View Post
    The hull definitely looks like a 27 magnum but the raised lip on the deck makes me think Cary or what about those old forward passener cockpit Chis Crafts that were built in the mid 70s.It has the big chrome vents in the hull that Cigarette liked to do.

Here is some pics of 24 Cigs notice the placement of the chrome vents are almost identical.
    the third pic might be the coolest boat i have ever seen... =)

10. Collapse Details

Got pics of your 24 Chris?

The blue one in the 3rd pic is the white one in the second pic after it was redone. The dark blue one in the 1st is docked by me and it is a perfect restored example of a early 24.

11. Collapse Details

Hey guys i saw a 24 with all Teak inlay on the deck and had twin six's in the rear and was supposedly Dons own personal boat considering the owner stated it was hull number 1 .......................Awsome boat very attractive .

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yeah- I'm torn on what to do with my 24. part of me wants to make it racy- maybe a mini twin to my 35. The other half loves the thought of a beautiful mahogany deck and hatch covers- and cockpit floor.
    Do the deck and hatch covers along with the cockipit floor and mix it up . Chris my last 27 sport had Teak flooring in the cockpit and it looked awsome .

13. Collapse Details

Registered
    That boat is owned by a buddy of mine and that pic is of it in the 70's. at evanston beach pier, Il. It's like 26' or so long and an aronow creation. V drive and teak with metalflake paint. He has documentaion from Micheal Aronow stating it's a cigarette, I am told, and if you look at the nose it not really different from a top gun.It's being restored slowly.

14. Collapse Details

Chris , did you not buy that boat on HORBA , and is that the one that was at Daves place.... or was ?

15. Collapse Details

Yes- bought the boat from Charlie McCarthy. It was delivered from Florida and the driver was headed up 75 into Michigan- dumped it in Dave's lot for a while.

16. Collapse Details

26' Cary. If you take a 28'Cigarette and cut if off at the second gunwale, you end up with this. We made a half dozen or so.

17. Collapse Details

There you have it. Tommymonza gets a lollipop for a good catch.

Can't say I've ever seen one but it's a cool looking boat. From the way that it drafts, I'm guessing it's a single-engine setup?

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    26' Cary. If you take a 28'Cigarette and cut if off at the second gunwale, you end up with this. We made a half dozen or so.
    This 1974 Cary is a 26-E model with raised deck that a friend had back in the 70's. Did they make a flat deck also ???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cary 26 E.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Hi guys- I currently own the boat pictured at the top of this thread. I'm the third owner and have owned it since the late '80s. The boat was built in 1970 and originally sold to a cousin of Aronow. Cary did build the same boat however the dates are very confusing. I have posted a boat trader ad showing one being sold as a Cary model year 1981, it was given to me by a guy who was a partner in the boat with the guy I bought it from. I don't know how to resize pics so I hope it is legible. I don't mean to second guess Brownie but the boat I have (again 1970) predates the Cig 28'. I will post up some more pics as I have spent half the day digging them out. That pic was taken by a buddy on a December day in 1980 at the Evenston launch ramp. The temp got up in the 60's (unusual in Chicago) so these guys were hey let's go boatin'. This boat was well known in the Chicago area in the seventies and early eighties, and was considered the one of the coolest boat on Lake Michigan until Mark Berman showed up with BAM (KAM) and changed the game. To this day when some of the old timers see this boat they start getting all teary eyed reminiscing about the past.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top-20_edited-1.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Here's some pics of a 24 w/ inline 6's. The deck and hatch are clad in teak, it was owned by a customer of mine (initials TS) who bought it from Frank who goes by the screenname 10X on all the other boards. Frank built up some truck motors for the boat and I believe the thing ran in the low seventies. I ran it a couple of times and while I don't recall the exact speed all I remember was saying to myself was "are you kidding me! with straight sixes! I WANT!" the thing boogied. I think it went to Minnesota.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Top-25.jpg   Top-26.jpg