Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Weird jerk at stop and go
    Ok, when I come to a complete stop and then start to go again, say, stop and go traffic or stop sign. I get this jerk. I don't know if something was loose with my axle but I check and everything looked good. I am thinking something must be up with my diffy? Any thoughts. Oh after you stop then hit the gas it jerks, sometimes pretty bad.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sweet addiction View Post
    Ok, when I come to a complete stop and then start to go again, say, stop and go traffic or stop sign. I get this jerk. I don't know if something was loose with my axle but I check and everything looked good. I am thinking something must be up with my diffy? Any thoughts. Oh after you stop then hit the gas it jerks, sometimes pretty bad.

What year truck, was common mid to late 90's into the 2000's. There was a funny clunk that went with it. There was a TSB on it for diff fluid. If newer, I am not sure.

Edit: prolly not what I am thinking if int he D-max section although the Dmax did come out early 2000's.

3. Collapse Details

block the tires, put it in neutral climb under and try twisting the driveshaft.. you should be able to tel pretty quick if it a u-joint, carrier bearing...tranny mount?
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

4. Collapse Details

i'll tell you what mine did

not all the time though

very rarely actually

it takes off in second gear about 1-2-maybe 3 feet, then drops to first gear with a BIG clunk and jerk.. then takes off, shifts, and runs fine

sound familiar?
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

5. Collapse Details

From the title of the thread..it does sound like you met some freak of nature while getting your turbodog and slushie....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

6. Collapse Details

If its taking off in second gear and then dropping back to first it may be the govenor in the trans.

7. Collapse Details

the slip joint in the rear drive shaft binds up. When you hit the brakes, the nose goes down, the azz goes up and the slip joint moves outward.Becaus the driveline is loaded, the torque holds the slip joint in this extended position. When you release the brakes and hit the gas, the rear squats, the nose rises and the slip joint tries to move inward. The binding creates a clunk noise. Very common issue with GM trucks.

8. Collapse Details

I work at a GM dealer. The post above mine is correct. Driveshaft splines are binding due to lack of grease. I had the same issue with my personal truck. Grease the driveshaft yoke real good and it should stop. Jeff Wurl

9. Collapse Details

+1. Just happened on my Ex.

10. Collapse Details

Had the same thing happen with my AWD work van.
    Turns out the rear axel had lost the gears and I was driving using the front axel only. The rear end is normally noisy on these vans so I never knew it was going out.
    The jerk was when the computer registered no front wheel speed but the rear end was still turning. The jerk was the transfer case locking up sending full power to the front end.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    i'll tell you what mine did

not all the time though

very rarely actually

it takes off in second gear about 1-2-maybe 3 feet, then drops to first gear with a BIG clunk and jerk.. then takes off, shifts, and runs fine

sound familiar?
    our 93 suburban does the same thing, not all the time, but everyone once and a while

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    our 93 suburban does the same thing, not all the time, but everyone once and a while
    mine was an Allison... you could see on the scanner that 1st gear was selected but the scanner said 2nd gear was attempted..
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwurl View Post
    Driveshaft splines are binding due to lack of grease. I had the same issue with my personal truck. Grease the driveshaft yoke real good and it should stop.
    ditto. I bet you notice more when it's warm/hot outside?
    Boat-less...

14. Collapse Details

This sounds like what is going on. I don't think it is my transmission. Although back in the day I ran two programmers and blew up the ECU, but the transmission only went to limp mode one time. Never had any more problems with it. I do not run programmers anymore back to a stock truck. I am going to read the post below yours. What is the fix for this? Maybe it is posted below so excuse me if it has been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    the slip joint in the rear drive shaft binds up. When you hit the brakes, the nose goes down, the azz goes up and the slip joint moves outward.Becaus the driveline is loaded, the torque holds the slip joint in this extended position. When you release the brakes and hit the gas, the rear squats, the nose rises and the slip joint tries to move inward. The binding creates a clunk noise. Very common issue with GM trucks.

15. Collapse Details

Ok, here is my answer. I do occasionally climb in under the truck, but is there a grease fitting or do I need to pull it out to grease. This kind of sounds like a big job, although I can tackle it.

I work at a GM dealer. The post above mine is correct. Driveshaft splines are binding due to lack of grease. I had the same issue with my personal truck. Grease the driveshaft yoke real good and it should stop. Jeff Wurl

16. Collapse Details

I have a 2wd, and I have not heard any noise in my read end so that can't be it. I change this fluid on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerer View Post
    Had the same thing happen with my AWD work van.
    Turns out the rear axel had lost the gears and I was driving using the front axel only. The rear end is normally noisy on these vans so I never knew it was going out.
    The jerk was when the computer registered no front wheel speed but the rear end was still turning. The jerk was the transfer case locking up sending full power to the front end.

17. Collapse Details

Could you give me a little more info on how I should go about repairing it. I feel blind on this one, but I am pretty good at figuring stuff out. I think this is my last issue on the truck.

18. Collapse Details

2005 2wd D Max 2500 HD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    What year truck, was common mid to late 90's into the 2000's. There was a funny clunk that went with it. There was a TSB on it for diff fluid. If newer, I am not sure.

Edit: prolly not what I am thinking if int he D-max section although the Dmax did come out early 2000's.

19. Collapse Details

You got me. That is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    From the title of the thread..it does sound like you met some freak of nature while getting your turbodog and slushie....

20. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet addiction View Post
    Could you give me a little more info on how I should go about repairing it. I feel blind on this one, but I am pretty good at figuring stuff out. I think this is my last issue on the truck.
    you have to pull the shaft and grease the splines to the intermediate shaft. 20min job at best
    Boat-less...