Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I like this quote so much I had to steal it. It sure rings true:

"Records are the true marks for progress"...

fabio buzzi
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you completely?

Most boat companies, or any companies for that matter, are focused on building boats & products their customers can buy....?

Not when they are trying to build stuff like this! If Skip builds 50 boats and just spent 2mm in R+D for a kilo boat it will add 40K in "overhead" to each of his boats sold to customers. Now that 40K surcharge doesn't make my stock boat any faster, better looking with new interior/gauges or paint. So my point was don't waste money on stuff like this if it will trickle down to higher costs for the customer with no improvements on the retail boats!

And to Chris's point of 80K Top Guns........yeah put me on that list too!

3. Collapse Details

Is it too late to get in on that $80k Citation?

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Not an attempt to self promote here. I really would like to know what your thoughts are on this?

http://www.powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/

it would be about time that builders get back to what these boats are all about.
    i'd really like to see some new boats try for the kilo record. as for the safety issues... if it was safe it wouldn't be worth doing, i don't want to see anybody die but it happens, the end. i've drag raced, and raced sport bikes 20+ years. knowing you could die and cheating the crash is what gives you the adrenaline rush that makes the ride worth it.

the fact that most don't have the sack to do something is what makes it cool.

BTW, so what if it adds a little over head to the boats, if everybody could afford a Cig, O/L, Skater, what ever, they wouldn't be worth having. you want an "affordable boat" go buy a Tahoe Q4.
    Last edited by nxfirebird; 03-28-2010 at 10:36 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Nxfirebird, welcome to Serious!
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    thank you!

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    "Records are the true marks for progress"...

fabio buzzi
    Yes...but he was probably talking about Beatles Albums.

I could be wrong of course...but I always had a hard time understanding Fabio. Aside from being the funniest man in Offshore racing.....he was also the guy who told me during an interview that "Cats were the ultimate design of the future".....a few hours after saying exactly the same thing about Vee bottoms. (we have both interviews on tape).
    Allergic to Nonsense

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nxfirebird View Post
    it would be about time that builders get back to what these boats are all about.
    I agree....let's get back to building OFFSHORE performance boats and set records that mean something....like around Long Island...Miami-Nassau.... Miami-Key West......Bahama's 500...and stop f*cking around with records that are better attempted by Unlimited Hydros or drag boats.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    I agree....let's get back to building OFFSHORE performance boats and set records that mean something....like around Long Island...Miami-Nassau.... Miami-Key West......Bahama's 500...and stop f*cking around with records that are better attempted by Unlimited Hydros or drag boats.

T2x
    Amen.

10. Collapse Details

Speed doesn't mean anything if a hull design can't take big water and fly level. Might as well buy a west coast boat if you just want to go fast.

11. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house

T2x
    totally agree

12. Collapse Details

T2x
    Miami-Bimini is our start. we are developing others right now.
    Brad Schoenwald
    "It's not what you do, it's how well you do it"
    www.PERFORMANCEBOATSCHOOL.com

13. Collapse Details
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Speed doesn't mean anything if a hull design can't take big water and fly level.
    Very well said.....cant agree with you anymore

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Premier Perf View Post
    Very well said.....cant agree with you anymore
    Well said, the Fountain that set the speed record was a successful raceboat, good catch.

15. Collapse Details

Record attempts may be useless in most minds as marketing tools, if it were not for the efforts of those in the industry to raise the bar, and push the envelope would the industry be where it is today? It could be Mercury Marine developing more horsepower, or V and Cat designers making faster and more efficent hulls, to prop manufactures improving age old designs, on shape and blade configuration.
    10 years ago 100 mph boats were rare, unless it was a stripped down race boat. Now they are fairly common. The industry has grown due to manufacturers pushing each other, whether its a speed record, endurance record, or racing title. Did anything useful come out of Outerlimits, Cigarette, and Fountains record attempts that was applied to their customers products? I'm sure they learned something. Did it change the products? who knows.
    If they didnt continue to raise the bar, we would all still be running around thinking 70 mph on the water was fast.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Speed doesn't mean anything if a hull design can't take big water and fly level. Might as well buy a west coast boat if you just want to go fast.
    Define big water I'll define it you don't get caught in big water I don't care who's hull your driving!

17. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Well said, the Fountain that set the speed record was a successful raceboat, good catch.
    Not to hurt anybody ,,,but i seen that boat in 4-6 footers at over 120 MPH easy....LIKE ON RAILS .. is all i can say.

Even smaller ..like the 42's are not bad either.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SSBsD7o944

18. Collapse Details

Fast in the rough when racing, fast in the Kilo. I like it.

19. Collapse Details

Not to start a never ending war but 3 times in Fountains have won first overall in races and ANY race fan has to admit that the OLD Rio Roses 42 kicked ass and Cat Killer even though it has engine gremlins it eats up rough water. There were some BIG cat racers that said that boat carried the mail.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post