Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

It doesn't really matter fast they go, I'm more impressed when it gets down right snotty and you can really let her run!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    These top speed efforts are like running Baja trucks on asphalt.
    That's the best analogy I've heard in a while.

And as for Reggie's "World's fastest v-bottom ads" selling boats, did they really? I'm not doubting that they moved a lot of boats in the good years, but how can you really know if those ads had anything to do with it?

I'm more inclined to go with fund's take...that it was the "You can buy any boat on the lot for $999 a month for the rest of your life" piece of the puzzle that moved the boats.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    What ever happened to the orange Young Performance 399 Skater?
    x2. Surely that thing had to be 150 plus, right?

4. Collapse Details

2 way pass 171.883 MPH go for it!

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    May the Schwartz be with you...............
    Allergic to Nonsense

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post

It would be fun to see but I would rather see manufacturers spending time/money on boats that I can actually buy.....

I'm not sure I follow you completely?

Most boat companies, or any companies for that matter, are focused on building boats & products their customers can buy....?

7. Collapse Details

The whole safety argument is pretty irrelevant. World records typically don't get set or broken with safety being the top priority.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you completely?

Most boat companies, or any companies for that matter, are focused on building boats & products their customers can buy....?

Everybody wants a new Top Gun with 525's for $80 grand. Me too.

The guy with the Piper Cub wants an $80k Citation too. It's not just "us".

9. Collapse Details

The guy with the Piper Cub wants an $80k Citation too. It's not just "us".

Yeah, but it almost seems like there have been some "real" posts arguing this, instead of "just saying". Similar to the argument we discussed about some family boaters complaining about Powerboat not covering the ski boat market?

10. Collapse Details

The most relevant record need to be

39 Gun with 700s vs
    41 OL with 700s vs
    etc etc

Same boating "class" with same power in same conditions with the same operators reporting back to summarize the overall performance of each boat, in the same conditions with the same pilots on the same day.

Kinda like Top Gear on water. Same track, same car, same track driver (that we know of). Only conditions there that differ are wet/dry.

Thats why I dont pay much attention to a Vee running 150 in fresh water 2 footers vs a Vee running 150 in salt, 6 months later, with a wind, a one foot chop with different drivers etc etc.

Apples vs. Tangerines
    VP of Operations, GLOC's Fastest Pontoon 2009

11. Collapse Details

I suppose the best I can do is this-

"I wish gas was a buck a gallon."

Unfortunately, it's not. The primary reason is that there's no reason for it to be, since there's no shortage of people willing to pay three bucks for it. Same in the perfomance boating world. If there were manufacturing efficiencies out there that could lower prices and stimulate sales, you'd have seen them by now. Of course, some manufacturers have cut selling prices on some upper end boats, but the meat-and-potatoes guys are stuck where they're at. I'm sure like many industries, boats have gone out at some deep discounts in order to keep te lights on. But if you're not making money, it won't last long. That goes from the resin and cloth suppliers, the hardware guys and everyone else.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    They thought they had the record......

cut and pasted from OSO:
    Outerlimits Certified As the Worlds Fastest V-Bottom…AGAIN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bristol RI – February 6, 2004 – In a certified speed trial, sanctioned by the National Powerboat Association on Friday, 2/6/2004, Mike Fiore, president of Outerlimits Powerboats, averaged a speed of 161.29 MPH for a kilometer verified on ‘ state-of-the-art’ GPS in his new 47’ canopied GTX, named “XXX”. This run took place on Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island at 3:00 PM EST, February 6, 2004 on a chilly, drizzly afternoon.

After travelling north over a mile out of the channel at 161.88 MPH and returning south at 160.7 MPH, the average speed was 161.29 MPH. This makes the 47 GTX the first v-bottom to eclipse the 160 MPH barrier in an officially sanctioned event. This run was confirmed by co-pilot, Billy Frenz, Executive Director of the NPBA (National Powerboat Association). The GTX is powered by twin stock 1450 HP Sterling engines with No. 6 Merc Speedmasters and Hering propellers. Many of Outerlimits boats are outfitted with Sterling engines because they are some of the finest, fastest and most reliable engines out there.

Despite the fact that Outerlimits already holds the Official V-Bottom Kilo Record of 149.7 MPH in a 42’ GTX model, also powered with twin 1450 HP Sterlings, Merc Speedmasters and Hering props, they felt the need to raise the bar. This previous record was set in Washington, North Carolina on October 3, 2003 and officiated by Poker Runs of America.

“What a rush!!!” exclaimed Billy Frenz as he emerged from the cockpit after the run. “This boat is going to disappoint a lot of Cat owners at our New York City Powerboat Rally”, referring to the annual June event held on the Hudson River that determines the fastest catamarans and fastest v-bottoms.

“We are absolutely thrilled with our achievement of breaking our own record” stated Mike Fiore. “Just in case anyone had any doubts about the last record we attained being a one time event, we wanted to set the record straight. And again, we accomplished this in a pleasure boat that you can buy.” Outerlimits Powerboats are known not only for their beauty, design and quality, but in addition, their outstanding performance. This record only enhances Outerlimits prominence in the industry and once again proves Outerlimits is the ultimate in high performance offshore powerboats.

For further information on the complete line of boats that they offer, contact Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats, 91 Broad Common Road, Bristol, RI 02809 (401) 253-7300 or visit their website at www.outerlimitspowerboats.com.

I would find it hard to believe those were "stock" Sterlings

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
    The most relevant record need to be

39 Gun with 700s vs
    41 OL with 700s vs
    etc etc

Same boating "class" with same power in same conditions with the same operators reporting back to summarize the overall performance of each boat, in the same conditions with the same pilots on the same day.

Kinda like Top Gear on water. Same track, same car, same track driver (that we know of). Only conditions there that differ are wet/dry.

Thats why I dont pay much attention to a Vee running 150 in fresh water 2 footers vs a Vee running 150 in salt, 6 months later, with a wind, a one foot chop with different drivers etc etc.

Apples vs. Tangerines
    I would love to see this as well...

14. Collapse Details

I suppose the best I can do is this-

"I wish gas was a buck a gallon."

Unfortunately, it's not. The primary reason is that there's no reason for it to be, since there's no shortage of people willing to pay three bucks for it. Same in the perfomance boating world. If there were manufacturing efficiencies out there that could lower prices and stimulate sales, you'd have seen them by now. Of course, some manufacturers have cut selling prices on some upper end boats, but the meat-and-potatoes guys are stuck where they're at. I'm sure like many industries, boats have gone out at some deep discounts in order to keep te lights on. But if you're not making money, it won't last long. That goes from the resin and cloth suppliers, the hardware guys and everyone else.
    We got spoiled over the last 8 years. Gas didnt slow down boat buying. People did more floating and less boating. You could walk in and sign a paper and take a new MTI home with you and finance insurance, paint, etc and take an extra 20K for the the Poker Run season.

Financing changed. 110 has always been 7.50+ a gallon here, which most of the bigger boats run on. And honestly when gas was $5 a gallon on the water, people still boated and the lake was busier than ever along with boat builders/dealers. It just cost an extra hundy to fuel up for the weekend, for moat boats. More so, people cut out the 15$ drinks at the club afterwards and just came to my house for free grey goose.

Economy and banking falls apart, and people lose jobs, that stopped boat buying. Even this year there are so few new bigger boats being bought. Sure the deep guys are buying buy the people "moving up" are gone for the most part. That is what is killing the industry.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I thought F class was the best racing I'd ever seen! Why o why did they pull the F class races? Seemed like the perfect mix of user friendly for racers on a budget and a proving ground for manufacturers

But I asume this is a whole other topic
    I had a friend that raced aprox 99 to 04 in F2 in two different formula 38s 1st one was the 500, second 525 I think he said there were guys cheating and it was150,000 for each boat or so if you did a rebuy on the 3rd yr instead of paying 200 plus for a boat. but he had bottom troubles with the 1st and the second one ran better but he got out boats went to old stock cars from nascar 60s and 70s he bought a couple to race. what sucked for me I could of bought the second one for 70,000 in 05 or 06 the boat was a 02 but I was in the middle of all the surgeries I had from 04 to 08 6 total, so there was no way my wife would let me buy it. now Iwill have almost that much in my saber this spring. I just the motor is done in a few weeks so I can run some p4 races. that 38 sold for 79,000 and went over seas I think it races in p1 evo class.but the 1st one blew stringers out and got repaired, second only had minor issues so for 70,000 that was a good deal.

16. Collapse Details

And be able to finance it with no money down for 20 years at 3.5% interest. Oh, and it appreciates in value too!

17. Collapse Details

Back to speed runs...

T2x said it well in the discussion of the Copeland Phenomenon boat. There comes a point where you hit the wall relative to the design of an offshore boat. There's more to it than bolting in more power and pushing the sticks further down. And I think we all recognize the fact that it's pretty likely we're close to that point at these speeds. Myself, I don't really care who's the fastest, and I don't really want to see anyone die trying.

18. Collapse Details

Back to speed runs...

T2x said it well in the discussion of the Copeland Phenomenon boat. There comes a point where you hit the wall relative to the design of an offshore boat. There's more to it than bolting in more power and pushing the sticks further down. And I think we all recognize the fact that it's pretty likely we're close to that point at these speeds. Myself, I don't really care who's the fastest, and I don't really want to see anyone die trying.
    agreed , if you look at the boat Regie set the record in on it's fast pass there is nothing in the water boat did not need steps cause they were in the air

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    agreed , if you look at the boat Regie set the record in on it's fast pass there is nothing in the water boat did not need steps cause they were in the air
    Reggie drove that record setting boat just he like he used to drive the tunnel boats. That is exactly what that pass looked like when he set the record looked like with the bow way up in the air. Reminded me of the an Allison or Hyrdostream during a high speed run with bow way in the air, going fast. Records are meant to be broken, I am a risk taker, so so that could explain my interest. I would really like to see someone go for the fastest piston powered catamaran (with race motors, not one/two-pass dragster motors). What is the current cat record for piston power?

I really did enjoy the F-2 racing back, off topic, but it was mentioned earlier, that was a great class of race boats.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Reggie drove that record setting boat just he like he used to drive the tunnel boats. That is exactly what that pass looked like when he set the record looked like with the bow way up in the air. Reminded me of the an Allison or Hyrdostream during a high speed run with bow way in the air, going fast. Records are meant to be broken, I am a risk taker, so so that could explain my interest. I would really like to see someone go for the fastest piston powered catamaran (with race motors, not one/two-pass dragster motors). What is the current cat record for piston power?

I really did enjoy the F-2 racing back, off topic, but it was mentioned earlier, that was a great class of race boats.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD2CND0KAA4
    Run until it sounds expensive