Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Time for another V bottom speed record?
    Not an attempt to self promote here. I really would like to know what your thoughts are on this?

http://www.powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

2. Collapse Details

XXX is for sale at Shogren with no power.......Chief is building some big, reliable and fast motors. It could be a cheap challenge compared to what Cig spent building their last kilo boat!

It would be fun to see but I would rather see manufacturers spending time/money on boats that I can actually buy..... Give me a boat like XXX for free with big power and the only thing I could afford on it is the fuel (in limited quantities!).

3. Collapse Details

The big question is why? When the market was rolling, the kilo scene had its marketing value. Today, that market is much smaller and the people that are buying know what they want. That precludes the factories from playing, the private sector? Sure you could build a boat specifically for it, but then what are you going to do with it when your done?? Race it? is the potatoe chip going to hold up? how big is the extreme vee class?
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

4. Collapse Details

XXX is 7 year old technology. I would have thought OL would have a vessel that could make a really big run towards it. I know that have run some huge numbers with the newer canopy boats but never anything sanctioned. I bet the economy has them thinking to wait but their new canopy boats are just the best looking Vs ever made IMO. I would bet that 52V thats for sale, stripped down with some big turbos would be an interesting run. Just dont think the millions poured into a project like that would pay off for the company right now other than a trophy in the lobby.
    VP of Operations, GLOC's Fastest Pontoon 2009

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
    Just dont think the millions poured into a project like that would pay off for the company right now other than a trophy in the lobby.
    That was my point in using the XXX hull and some new big power to make it happen. Then it can be a poker run boat, two time kilo winner etc......

I do think a new 44 or 52 OL would be a weapon for sure!

6. Collapse Details

Not saying XXX isnt a nice boat, but after seeing things play out in the last couple years... If something went wrong, I don't think your going to be alive to say 'ok, that didnt work'. To run that fast with any sense of confidence, your going to have to start from scratch.

7. Collapse Details
    Rational thought
    Sponsor / Charter Member
    I think that it's a miracle there were no accidents or injuries involving the prior record attempts.I think that more record attempts are only tempting fate and the high performance boat industry doesn't need any more negative publicity.

8. Collapse Details

Has anyone survived a serious incident at 180 mph +?

9. Collapse Details

Reg has stated numerous times that he was just waiting for somebody to up his record and he had a 200-mph hull ready to rock...

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Reg has stated numerous times that he was just waiting for somebody to up his record and he had a 200-mph hull ready to rock...
    Now that's a popcorn statement if I ever read one.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    It was true at one point. Don't know about that now with the state of the economy

12. Collapse Details

what a great way 2 get the company back in the spotlight!!! Do it now!! Up the ante!!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    The big question is why? When the market was rolling, the kilo scene had its marketing value. Today, that market is much smaller and the people that are buying know what they want. That precludes the factories from playing, the private sector? Sure you could build a boat specifically for it, but then what are you going to do with it when your done?? Race it? is the potatoe chip going to hold up? how big is the extreme vee class?
    I would imagine plastering "worlds fasted V bottom" in your ads has it's marketing advanteges in any economy. It had worked well for Reggie for Many years.

I'm still suprised no one has gone after the record, especially OL. Mike was hungry for the record at one time and the record could go to show the enhancements his boats have gainedin build technology and speeds.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

14. Collapse Details

I think I saw him unloading it on Pawn Stars to buy toilet paper for the shop bathroom......

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    That was my point in using the XXX hull and some new big power to make it happen. Then it can be a poker run boat, two time kilo winner etc......

I do think a new 44 or 52 OL would be a weapon for sure!
    How fast has XXX been? Didnt it run 125 with 1075s? Thats a huge gap to close. You buy it and I'll drive it. Therefore you wont risk injury
    VP of Operations, GLOC's Fastest Pontoon 2009

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I would imagine plastering "worlds fasted V bottom" in your ads has it's marketing advanteges in any economy. It had worked well for Reggie for Many years.

I'm still suprised no one has gone after the record, especially OL. Mike was hungry for the record at one time and the record could go to show the enhancements his boats have gainedin build technology and speeds.
    Those claims would sway someone new shopping. The palyers left in the upper markets these days are generally not new. They have been around the scene and know what they want. Fiore has his customers on existing reputation alone. If your selling million dollar boats, a catchy magazine ad isn't going to make much difference to your clients. Reggie's marketingclaims weren't to sell 47's... they were to impress the new boaters who were in the market for a 33 or 35 for the cool factor. Those people are now busy looking for new jobs and trying to keep their house from being foreclosed on. Seasoned boaters know that you can make a custom hull, throw huge power in it and go really fast... and that it really doesn't mean much in correlation to the boat Shogren has on the sales floor.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sy goldberg View Post
    I think that it's a miracle there were no accidents or injuries involving the prior record attempts.I think that more record attempts are only tempting fate and the high performance boat industry doesn't need any more negative publicity.
    It is going to bite someone eventually.

If you ask me, I'm not really all that impressed with top speed because you can basically throw HUGE power into anything to get it to go fast. If I am an educated consumer shopping for a "fast" boat I would be more interested in how fast each of the boats goes with the same power...Let's say OL vs. Fountain w/1075's.

But then again, people don't buy boats like ours because we want to be last to the dock so having that "record" is a selling point.
    Last edited by Big Time; 03-25-2010 at 05:15 PM.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I think I saw him unloading it on Pawn Stars to buy toilet paper for the shop bathroom......
    sure you weren't looking in the mirror

19. Collapse Details

If the economy was good and i was looking to buy what would mean more to me is how fast a given boat is with stock merc power. Like lets say 36 ft boat with 525 power or 700 power. The boat would have to be a off the shelf piece with full cabin. Also what cruse speed and how much fuel at cruse. This way i could look at a performance and say OK this 36 will run 65mph at curse and burn this much fuel per hour. There are just to many things going on for the v-speed record to mater, to start with that is not a boat that most of us will ever own and it is not a boat i can do poker runs and play in on the weekends.
    I was at Regieville when he set the record and it was awesome to be there and see it done it gave me a whole new respect for him, does it sell boats maybe a few but my bet is it does not make that much difference now.

20. Collapse Details

I don't have a bathroom in the garage, just a bush around the back.....