Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor MANITIE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    Come on ,,,,,,,,,if i drive my boat from FL to NJ i already spend 1400 in gas for the truck.

STAY SERIOUS !!!!!!!!!!

NO way u can race for 1000 a race unless u live right there !!!!!!
    Traveling from Sarasota to race OPA is not the norm, over 50+ teams live in the MD to the north and Mich and to the East. But let me take a shot at it,

If you really want to race in OPA and you have a budget of say $1000
    Try these steps:
    Find a driver or throttleman in the NJ,MD area.
    Leave the boat up in the NJ, MD area.
    I get flights to Fl once to twice a month, if you book 14 days prior I can get round trips for $200.

So round trip flight $200 to $250
    Have your driver or throttleman drive the boat to Ocean City, and so on, fuel to and from $150.
    fuel for race $100
    Fly out on friday and split a room with your teamate $75 each for 2 nights
    Food $30 bucks a day =$90...and we will buy you some beers
    Have your teamate buy the engine and drive oil and have him change it and spit any prize money to offset both sides
    That ruffly puts you just over $700 leaving you with $300 to off set anything else. plus I recall that you were going to kick everyones butt in OPA so thats a nice 1st place check....

Try it....

2. Collapse Details

Competitor
    When I throttled on the Carrabba's Pantera, I use to split all hotel, gas, tolls and entry fees, plus pay my yearly APBA membership. This probably accounted for 4-500.00 per race-and I was happy to pay it!! We didn't skimp on anything. There is also nothing wrong with asking racing team-mates to contribute either money or mechanical ability towards program. There are no Free rides.

3. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post
    Traveling from Sarasota to race OPA is not the norm, over 50+ teams live in the MD to the north and Mich and to the East. But let me take a shot at it,

Try these steps:
    I get flights to Fl once to twice a month, if you book 14 days prior I can get round trips for $200.

Have your driver or throttleman drive the boat to Ocean City, and so on, fuel to and from $150.
    fuel for race $100
    Have your teamate buy the engine and drive oil and have him change it and spit any prize money to offset both sides
    That ruffly puts you just over $700 leaving you with $300 to off set anything else. plus I recall that you were going to kick everyones butt in OPA so thats a nice 1st place check....

Try it....
    The Person who asked the question, LIVES ON THE WEST COAST !!!!!!!!!

mmmmmhhhhhhh

I say it will cost him 60+ K a year,,,if i am wrong i want him to let me know after he done it !!!!!!

Its not about me or any other P class racer...its about his plan and question !!!!!!!

And u think i did not try what u are saying ??????

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Shafts View Post
    There are no Free rides.
    When I started out I was looking for a driver with some race experience.. One guy came up and said "He Raced" and "How Much Does It Pay" - I knew from that sec. he had no experience in racing boats.

5. Collapse Details

Having raced both SS boat and SV I found the SS more expensive to race. You MUST have at least 1 extra powerhead ($5-8k) several prop sets (we had 4) ($8-10K) speciality tools ($1000) and if you want to win (I know u said you didn't) $6-8k for engine rebuilds.

In my opinion, C5-6 are the only classes where anyone who cares about counting $ races in. They are also the biggest and most competitive classes.

6. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Shafts View Post
    Daredevil,
    From NJ to Harrison Mich. (the farthest race for me) is 700 miles each way. 1400 miles total, my F150 gets 12 miles per gallon=116 gallons of fuel X 3.00 per gallon =350.00 of fuel. We left the boat in Mich for the next race in St. Clair-one week later.

I live in NJ, so Ocean City Md, Cambridge and Patchogue are only 150 miles away. Fuel isn't a big expense here, roughly 75.00 per race. My claiming "1,000 per race is fat" was averaging out all races including both races in Michigan.

I respectfully disagree with your figures. According to Google maps, from Sarasota Florida to Patchogue NY (the farthest northeast race for you) is 1240 miles each way. 2480 miles total. If your truck gets 8 miles per gallon, that would equal 310 gallons of fuel for the round trip. If you figure 3.00 per gallon, your round trip fuel bill would be $930.00 If I'm wrong, please explain where?

I've done more races on a limited budget than most, I work two jobs because I love this crazy sport. I'm sure if you hauled your boat up here, someone would allow you to store your boat for a minimum fee or free. Hope to see you at some of the OPA races.

Bob G. 606 Lock'd Up
    YOU ARE RIGHT ,,don,t listen to dd ,,he cant add anyway,,,you are doing the right thing OPA is the right way for you ,,and your right by the way you do it, I see you have a passion for the sport,good job,,it is much better to race in a class you can afford and run many races in a year ,,than run a boat you cant,t afford and only race once or twice a year,but walk around talking about what an offshore racer you are ,,knowing you miss most races,, I,m comming to Patchog this year again ,come see me ,,George Jr..
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MANITIE View Post

Try these steps:

fuel for race $100

Try it....
    Gino,

Sounds like you more than fair, if you ever need a teammate in Florida, I can hook you up, cuz that is some cheap racing

Rick

8. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    You CAN run a SS boat for 5K a race on the east coast. OF COURSE it is going to more expensive flying the team in from Seattle but since you already have a base in Fla it should be a little easier... PLUS with with the numbers of boats we'll have in SS by the end of the year the prize money should be really good too.
    Ryan Beckley

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    You CAN run a SS boat for 5K a race on the east coast. OF COURSE it is going to more expensive flying the team in from Seattle but since you already have a base in Fla it should be a little easier... PLUS with with the numbers of boats we'll have in SS by the end of the year the prize money should be really good too.
    That's not bad, compared to the fun.

10. Collapse Details

I did not know how much the SS class cost till I talked to Gary B.
    And he said around 80k a year...that suprised me based on what running a SV was costing me...but it is a great class...

The LaveyCraft guys blew me away when I see them driving there boat back and forth from east to west coast after every race...Kevin C would tell me he would not get home till late Weds after a Sunday race....

Thats crazy.....

I think the the biggest question in cost is if you blow a drive or engine....
    I found out having the gears changed in mid seson weather they need or not takes care of that problem. and have not had a drive let go since I started doing it.
    In 2007 other then regular maintaence and doing some bleeding the steering with Jim A on the throttles...we had no issues all year...till Tenn. having a prop shaft shear off....but that was the only issue for 9 races and was not a big $ fix...and with prise money it was a good year, we even gave a couple of OPA teams some of the prise money to make it to Key West..so it can be done....
    Last edited by MANITIE; 03-24-2010 at 01:15 PM.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley View Post
    Having a home base in Florida is going to come in handy! How many boats are we going to have in the class Ryan? The reason i asked the question was just to see what people thought it would cost from different perspectives. Ryan has been racing this class long enough to know the costs involved with the travel and maintenance of a stock class boat. I think there is alot of good insight here for someone looking to do the same, Whatever the class may be.

12. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    I think you will see 10 SS boats at races by the end of the season.
    Ryan Beckley

13. Collapse Details

good job ,,,we should talk,,???

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
    It was never the cost of the boat that scared me. It was the entertainment
    Yeah ...hand cream and a box of Kleenex and you are tapped

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2scoops View Post
    How much $ to run a race boat?
    A sh!tload
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2scoops View Post
    Having a home base in Florida is going to come in handy! How many boats are we going to have in the class Ryan? The reason i asked the question was just to see what people thought it would cost from different perspectives. Ryan has been racing this class long enough to know the costs involved with the travel and maintenance of a stock class boat. I think there is alot of good insight here for someone looking to do the same, Whatever the class may be.
    Ryan and Gary B have been doing it the longest...so there info will be on..
    Sounds like the class is growing....I never paid attention to them running till I seen the Bull On The Beach SS boat in Class 3 in Ocean City...it looks like a fun ride...

17. Collapse Details

Well, a quad is a whole lot cheaper, and I managed to dump 45k one year racing and thats not even a year I did baja... And that was cutting all the corners I could.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

18. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    YOU ARE RIGHT ,,don,t listen to dd ,,he cant add anyway,,,you are doing the right thing OPA is the right way for you ,,and your right by the way you do it, I see you have a passion for the sport,good job,,it is much better to race in a class you can afford and run many races in a year ,,than run a boat you cant,t afford and only race once or twice a year,but walk around talking about what an offshore racer you are ,,knowing you miss most races,, I,m comming to Patchog this year again ,come see me ,,George Jr..
    George, the person that asked was not fastshaft..........

And had nothing to do with OPA in general !!!!!!!!

Sorry,,,but my answer was ment for the person that started the thread !!!!!

And as Ryan said 5 K a race .....10-12 races 50 -60 K ......THATS WHAT I SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    When I started out I was looking for a driver with some race experience.. One guy came up and said "He Raced" and "How Much Does It Pay" - I knew from that sec. he had no experience in racing boats.
    Rick ,,HERE IS ONE FOR YA,,,,,,"" WHAT DO YOU DO WITH AALLL THE MONEY YOU WIN,,???""

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    George, the person that asked was not fastshaft..........

And had nothing to do with OPA in general !!!!!!!!

Sorry,,,but my answer was ment for the person that started the thread !!!!!

And as Ryan said 5 K a race .....10-12 races 50 -60 K ......THATS WHAT I SAID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    OK but i,v got to ask,,,who races 10 to 12 races a year,??