Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... There is short stagger, full stagger, and then there is SERIOUS stagger.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stagger.jpg  
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Staggering does a couple of things. First it allows the engines to be set deeper in the hull, giving you a lower center of gravity.
    Yep. Also, deeper in the hull means the drives mount lower on the transom. This gives a longer moment arm to the vertical CG. The longer moment arm gives the props more leverage to pry the nose of the boat out of the water. In some cases this can be advantageous to the angle of attack.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8by View Post
    I have a great respect for guys that run crash boxes and dock them especially in tight situations with WIND! I was on a 41' Apache once with wind and crash boxes and a tight dock. The owner never flinched, and was a pro, but if you hesitate or the motor doesn't start it could have been a big problem very quickly! Chris I didn't ask, but what would happen if you try and throw the boat from reverse into forward with crash boxes? I assume you would ruin the grears?
    I was on a PR last year..or maybe the year before (CRS) and a 41 Apache appeared to have the same set up.. what a pain in the azz..nice group of guys/gals when we finally got them tied up to us.. It's all good in my book...especially when my paint don't get scratched up..

4. Collapse Details

What is the best alignment for the props at speed? Having half the prop coming out of the water?

5. Collapse Details

Depends on the drive, props and hull design.

6. Collapse Details

There is also inline....or staggardless.

A finger space is enough clearance but you get into trouble if the drives are trimmed incorrectly. Inboard rotation also compresses the tiebar and the propshafts deflect quite a bit as well.

pat W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x1 027.jpg   12.JPG   deck clearance.JPG  

preinstall.JPG  
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions

7. Collapse Details

There was also the one engine behind you and one in front of you going to a single v-drive....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

8. Collapse Details

How much room is required in the engine compartment for a short stagger or a full stagger?

9. Collapse Details

It depends on the OAL of the boat the cg might be too far forward with a full staggard set up. For full staggard the length from inside the keel 109 inches but again blower motors, plug in rear can be shorter?????

pat W
    Unique Innovative Drivetrain Solutions