Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
    I just went through this about a month ago. (And hated it.)

We ended up with a higher end Stearns & Foster pillow top. I found it tough to believe, but even in the store we both felt a difference between this mattress and the others we checked out. Each of the coils has another coil inside of it. The way they explained it, I would compare it to a progressive rate coil spring.

After sleeping on it for a month now, we are both still really happy with the choice, and glad we spent the extra $$ for this one over the others we looked at.
    Rob and I just went through the same thing 2 months ago. 3rd mattress in 7 frickin years!

We spent hours on different mattresses and ended up with a Sterns & Foster non-pillow top. It was between that and the new Temper-Pedic Cloud.

We already had new box springs so the Sterns mattress was $1900 for a king. The Cloud would have been $3000, but most likely worth it. It was really comfy. Just thought it would be too hot to sleep on.

We love the Sterns mattress and if it takes a crap, we're buying one of the Clouds (don't buy an imposter Temper-Pedic mattress IMO).
    Queen of Bammin'

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    thanks for the replys i worry about the pillow tops giving in after a few years , both of us tend to stay in the same place on the bed after we go to sleep so i would think thay may get a dip or low place in them sooner then a none pillow top. Also the all foam ones i would thank this would be a problem also.Do any of you find this to be the case.
    Agree with the comments on the pillow top. Expect all mattresses to have craters, at least that's what they told us. They said the Sterns mattress would most likely body indent about 1/8". Anymore than that and it would be covered under warranty.
    Queen of Bammin'

3. Collapse Details

I have one like the sleep number, just not that brand. We have had it for four years now. Had a double pillow top before. The pillow top got bad sleep spots in it and boy did it get heavy. Was told the reason for the bad spots was because of the flipping the springs broke down faster, and the weight, well double pillows are heavy, but they also trap a lot of dust and other stuff.
    We love our air bed, does drop pressure depending on temp or how long ago you added air but that is fixed easily. It was costly though few hundred more than a nice pillow top, but either one of us can get up and not disturb the other and if it starts to sag, pump up the air.

4. Collapse Details

I think the tempur pedic is great for sleeping, but if you like to read in bed it sux.

Your elbows sink into the foam and the mattress "locks" you into place. Its annoying.

I dont think Id buy another because of this but I wont get rid of the one I have
    until its time

UD

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    we have had a firm king size Sealy posterpedic for over ten years, it still seems brand new. I bought a pillow top type mattress pad to soften it up, they have a huge assortment of matress pads on the market, some are very pricy but I have gotten some good deals from JC Penny's on line closeouts

This thread is making me feel like a nap

6. Collapse Details

As Tony said, I hate our Sleep number. I'm lobbying to buy a new bed
    I saw a boat once!

7. Collapse Details

Another tempurpedice vote.

The wife wanted to get a new bedroom set, I said fvck that,
    we need a new mattress before anything cosmetic,
    so, we tried out the various models they had on display.

We've had it about a month ( rhapsody model, I believe)

No more aches and pains, no matter how you sleep.

Like Craig said, it alot of $$$, but you spend 1/3 of your life
    on it....it's worth it.

8. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Gross mattress fact: The average mattress gains 40 pounds over its 18 year lifespan, from dead skin cells and dust mites.

Kinda why I held onto my water bed for so many years and was leaning toward an air bed as a replacement.
    ________

9. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    i have been through just about every kind of conventional mattress and last year went back to a waterbed with tubes. Took a while to get used to it again but my back sure likes it.
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    We've noticed no "dips" or low places in our tempurpedic. It's the celebrity pillowtop model. I guess that you could turn the mattress 180 degrees if you were worried about it, but as I said, there is a 20 year warrenty on them.

Here's a picture taken last week of the stitching that came undone. New one should be here in a week or two.
    Tell the wife to take the heels off...should do the trick.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    I think the tempur pedic is great for sleeping, but if you like to read in bed it sux.

Your elbows sink into the foam and the mattress "locks" you into place. Its annoying.

I dont think Id buy another because of this but I wont get rid of the one I have
    until its time

UD
    Uhhh, not too many of us that "read" in bed...hello.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post
    Uhhh, not too many of us that "read" in bed...hello.

Well send me to the burn ward.

Lots of people I know lay in the bed and either read/laptop, watch TV, (I have no TV in the bedroom) before they either sleep or drive the "skinboat to tuna town."

The tempur-pedic mattress's tendency to sink on the elbows or shoulders can be a hassle. Im not saying the matress loses it shape overall- its dense and always springs back, but it does sink.

Its not annoying enough to get rid of but I wont be buying anymore.

Over all I'd give the tempur-pedic an 8 with a really good normal mattress being better. The best "foam" mattress available IMO

I liked my "waveless" water bed better but the 90's are over....

UD

13. Collapse Details

Don't feel bad, I read in bed almost every night
    I saw a boat once!

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    We have a TempurPedic king size bed. It's 4 years old.

I have a bad back, a herniated disc since 1990. I manage it well and it's basicaly a non-issue, except for maybe once a year when I put the car in reverse and turn a funny way and "pop" it. It takes a few days to get over it.

Anyway, we bought a new house and decided to get rid of everything and buy all new chit. Everything that we owned was from someone else, really old or didn't match everything else.
    We went bed shopping six times. Every single time that we went I would lay down on the TempurPedic and love it...but then get up and say that it was just too much $$$ and we would leave.

Then my wife said something that really did it. "You spend 1/3rd of your life in the bed, who gives a phuck if it's expensive". I ordered it that afternoon on mattress.com. It was about $500 cheaper than the stores and they showed up with the bed that night at my house!!

It's GREAT and we both love it. We did have a few stitches that came loose on the seam in the middle of the built-in pillow top on the mattress. 20 year warranty, we sent them a few digital pics and they are sending us a new one.

Worth the $$$$$$$ you ask??? Yes, every penny!

We LOVE our Temper Pedic. Expensive but worth it. Much better than the sleep number we used to have. My back issues dissappeared when we changed beds/

15. Collapse Details

i need one to...my wife took ours when she left....wonder how the new boyfriend will like sleeping on it

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    Well send me to the burn ward.

Lots of people I know lay in the bed and either read/laptop, watch TV, (I have no TV in the bedroom) before they either sleep or drive the "skinboat to tuna town."

The tempur-pedic mattress's tendency to sink on the elbows or shoulders can be a hassle. Im not saying the matress loses it shape overall- its dense and always springs back, but it does sink.

Its not annoying enough to get rid of but I wont be buying anymore.

Over all I'd give the tempur-pedic an 8 with a really good normal mattress being better. The best "foam" mattress available IMO

I liked my "waveless" water bed better but the 90's are over....

UD

This is something they offer....may help those that read in bed

http://www.tempurpedic.com/accessori...d_ergo_system/

17. Collapse Details

we have a never turn pillow top from some major manufacturer and it is a pile of crap. the huge dents where we sleep are ridiculous.

The funniest thing is we bought a cheap mattress for our guest room from big lots and everyone that sleeps on it loves it. no dents, craters, problems.

It figures.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    we have a never turn pillow top from some major manufacturer and it is a pile of crap. the huge dents where we sleep are ridiculous.

The funniest thing is we bought a cheap mattress for our guest room from big lots and everyone that sleeps on it loves it. no dents, craters, problems.

It figures.
    But it doesn't get used nightly either does it? Our guest bed has probably been slept in 50 times in 5 years so it is like new. Technically it is less than 2 months old by the amount of time it has been used.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Sea-Dated View Post
    But it doesn't get used nightly either does it? Our guest bed has probably been slept in 50 times in 5 years so it is like new. Technically it is less than 2 months old by the amount of time it has been used.
    Girlfriend has one of these Marriot beds. Best bed I have ever slept in and you wont want to get out of it.

http://www.shopmarriott.com/productG...itemID=MAR-124

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member Edward R. Cozzi's Avatar
    My brother has a mattress store in Arizona. I asked him about your dilemma and he said: "You can't go wrong with a Simmons or a Serta". Good Luck.
    Athiests better pray they're right.