Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I need a new mattress
    Ok well my wife and i need a new kingsize matttress ours is done and Doc says that is why my back is giving me a fit. There is nothing i hate to do more as i feel most are a rip off. So my ? is what do you guys sleep on, i have seen the rave about the tempur-pedic but man are they high $$$ so i wonder are they worth it i see a lot of copycats out there.

2. Collapse Details

I will say this. I bought a "Costco"-Pedic about a year ago and it was great at first. Now it has a great big divit on my side and it is just as uncomfortable as the last POS I got rid of and I hate it. I am shopping for a new one right now myself. Like I said, it was great at first and I still like the fact that I don't feel my wife get in and out of bed 50 times every night. Should have probably got the tempur-pedic in the first place.

3. Collapse Details

Pillow Top works for us and it was a grand.

4. Collapse Details

registered
    We have a TempurPedic king size bed. It's 4 years old.

I have a bad back, a herniated disc since 1990. I manage it well and it's basicaly a non-issue, except for maybe once a year when I put the car in reverse and turn a funny way and "pop" it. It takes a few days to get over it.

Anyway, we bought a new house and decided to get rid of everything and buy all new chit. Everything that we owned was from someone else, really old or didn't match everything else.
    We went bed shopping six times. Every single time that we went I would lay down on the TempurPedic and love it...but then get up and say that it was just too much $$$ and we would leave.

Then my wife said something that really did it. "You spend 1/3rd of your life in the bed, who gives a phuck if it's expensive". I ordered it that afternoon on mattress.com. It was about $500 cheaper than the stores and they showed up with the bed that night at my house!!

It's GREAT and we both love it. We did have a few stitches that came loose on the seam in the middle of the built-in pillow top on the mattress. 20 year warranty, we sent them a few digital pics and they are sending us a new one.

Worth the $$$$$$$ you ask??? Yes, every penny!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    We have a TempurPedic king size bed. It's 4 years old.

I have a bad back, a herniated disc since 1990. I manage it well and it's basicaly a non-issue, except for maybe once a year when I put the car in reverse and turn a funny way and "pop" it. It takes a few days to get over it.

Anyway, we bought a new house and decided to get rid of everything and buy all new chit. Everything that we owned was from someone else, really old or didn't match everything else.
    We went bed shopping six times. Every single time that we went I would lay down on the TempurPedic and love it...but then get up and say that it was just too much $$$ and we would leave.

Then my wife said something that really did it. "You spend 1/3rd of your life in the bed, who gives a phuck if it's expensive". I ordered it that afternoon on mattress.com. It was about $500 cheaper than the stores and they showed up with the bed that night at my house!!

It's GREAT and we both love it. We did have a few stitches that came loose on the seam in the middle of the built-in pillow top on the mattress. 20 year warranty, we sent them a few digital pics and they are sending us a new one.

Worth the $$$$$$$ you ask??? Yes, every penny!
    Except we don't have the pillow top...absolutely love it.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

6. Collapse Details

I used to be in the Mattress making biz what do you want to know??? Just for the record the majority of the mark up is made at the manufacterer, Sealy Serta etc. Polyurethane foam is petroleum based and costs alot to make. When it comes to mattresses you get what you pay for. I would recommend something from Sealy.

7. Collapse Details

I just went through this about a month ago. (And hated it.)

We ended up with a higher end Stearns & Foster pillow top. I found it tough to believe, but even in the store we both felt a difference between this mattress and the others we checked out. Each of the coils has another coil inside of it. The way they explained it, I would compare it to a progressive rate coil spring.

After sleeping on it for a month now, we are both still really happy with the choice, and glad we spent the extra $$ for this one over the others we looked at.

8. Collapse Details

The only downfall on a "pilllow top" is you cannot "flip" the mattress. Ours is 6-7 years old and my wife wants to toss it out already!

I told her for what I paid for that mattress her next husband can buy her new one!

9. Collapse Details

thanks for the replys i worry about the pillow tops giving in after a few years , both of us tend to stay in the same place on the bed after we go to sleep so i would think thay may get a dip or low place in them sooner then a none pillow top. Also the all foam ones i would thank this would be a problem also.Do any of you find this to be the case.

10. Collapse Details

I'm not 100% positive, but I thought the sales guy I talked to said that pretty much all new mattresses are one sided, even if they aren't pillow top.

Could be BS, or I could have heard him incorrectly, but it's worth asking about.

11. Collapse Details

Registered
    Burdines by Sealy...it's 20yrs old. Don't make 'em like they used to because this one is pillow top on both sides. Only one other bed compared to this one and that was an ex-GF's. Pretty sure it was a Sealy also, king size pillow top. I tried buying the exact model a couple years after she bought hers, but it wasn't the same so I went back to ol' faithful.

I have to admit, unless you have a specific need, the women can be pretty good about picking out a comfortable bed....must be something about being on their back.

As for negotiating, offer the store half the sticker price and see where they come back. I think around 2/3 sticker price wasn't all bad.

12. Collapse Details

The last pillow top I bought had directions to turn the mattress once a month or every few weeks I don't remember, to break it in. Then every few months after that. I've bought seven mattress in the last three years and like the pillow top type best. (I have a vacation rental).

13. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    thanks for the replys i worry about the pillow tops giving in after a few years , both of us tend to stay in the same place on the bed after we go to sleep so i would think thay may get a dip or low place in them sooner then a none pillow top. Also the all foam ones i would thank this would be a problem also.Do any of you find this to be the case.
    We've noticed no "dips" or low places in our tempurpedic. It's the celebrity pillowtop model. I guess that you could turn the mattress 180 degrees if you were worried about it, but as I said, there is a 20 year warrenty on them.

Here's a picture taken last week of the stitching that came undone. New one should be here in a week or two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tempurpedic 002.jpg  

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by JupiterSunsation View Post
    The only downfall on a "pilllow top" is you cannot "flip" the mattress. Ours is 6-7 years old and my wife wants to toss it out already!

I told her for what I paid for that mattress her next husband can buy her new one!
    I bought something from Denver mattress. Doctors choice or something. It has pillow tops on both sides. I flip the heck out of that thing. All in all... a good bed. I would buy it again. It was about a grand I suppose.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    I have had good luck with mine. The pillow top part is not extremely deep, but it's there and makes a difference.

16. Collapse Details

Appleton, Wisconsin. Where we have 2 seasons... winter and road construction
    Has anyone tried the Sleep Number bed? Likes, dislikes? I'm looking to get rid of the water bed (yes, I said water bed ) and thought a Sleep Number would be the ticket.
    ________

17. Collapse Details

We have a "sleep number" Some days I love it, but more often I hate it, the wife hates it. After a short time the center foam baffle breaks down and the whole thing acts like a waterbed unless its inflated to rock solid. One person gets out of bed and the other is now laying on solid plastic.

18. Collapse Details

Last one I bought was a brand name, but "last years model" according to the sales guy??

The cloth on the outside of the mattress was a different pattern than that on the boxspring, but the store sold it to me at around 1/2 its original price, sometimes it doesnt hurt to check for closeouts.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Has anyone tried the Sleep Number bed? Likes, dislikes? I'm looking to get rid of the water bed (yes, I said water bed ) and thought a Sleep Number would be the ticket.

We have had one for about 15 years and love it. We have replaced 2 air bladders at 75 bucks each but other than that it's great. You learn which way to set it for different circumstances (stiff back, shoulder, etc.) and it really helps you sleep. Both the wife and I had a little shoulder bursitis going on when we bought it and neither of us has had a problem since. As for the center foam dealy, it is a good idea to keep extra-curriculars on one side or the other, I usually opt for hers

20. Collapse Details

For any of those that are concerned about "wear and tear" maybe Clay, BaddogZ28 or Dollabill can chime in on which mattress they prefer......