Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Will PRA move the 1000 Islands Poker Run out of Kingston?
    Registered
    There is a small minority of self-rightous eco-hippies who have been kicking up a lot of waves for the past couple of years in the city of Kingston regarding the 1000 Islands Poker Run. They are a small group of probably no more than 30 people, who have gone before City Council (aka The Gong Show) protesting the event and attempting to force Council to "shut it down". They have presented council with loads of bogus facts, bunk science and TONS of propaganda. The sad disgusting problem is, Council appears to be buying it. This article comes from one of the local ragazines that is published every month. I will attempt to find other articles that have been printed in our local newspaper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thats the best Poker Run anywhere.

3. Collapse Details

Registered

4. Collapse Details

I just joined this board because I noticed that my website had a few referal hits from here. I am the owner of www.kingstonelection2010.com. I hope I am not breaking any rules by doing this. If i am let me know. I welcome anyone to email me as well. I would like Joe to email me regarding this. For eveyrone elses information. I am running for city council in Kingston and pro poker run.
    Thanks

harold Hemberger
    Last edited by harhem; 03-17-2010 at 10:37 AM.

5. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    What a bunch of whack jobs. Sounds to me, like their ultimate goal is to get all motorized boats of the water.

Please tell me the PR has representation at these meetings also. Would be a shame if they just sat back hoping nothing happens.

6. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by harhem View Post
    I just joined this board because I noticed that my website had a few referal hits from here. I am the owner of www.kingstonelection2010.com. I hope I am breaking any rules by doing this. If i am let me know. I welcome anyone to email me as well. I would like Joe to email me regarding this. For eveyrone elses information. I am running for city council in Kingston and pro poker run.
    Thanks

harold Hemberger
    Welcome to the site!! Good luck and thank you for your support.
    I especially appreciate your postings from Jan. 20, Jan. 6.

7. Collapse Details

I just read the SPLASH manifesto...all I can say is...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Unfortunately kids, these people are WINNING.

8. Collapse Details

The best lines:

This event has equally significant social costs:
    • Because participating in this event requires access to wealth, promoting and celebrating it sends
    a message that the wealthy should be allowed certain extra privileges such as ability to exploit
    natural resources and exemption to city bylaws.
    • It is an example to our children that over-consumption is acceptable. We should be providing
    healthier role models for our children as they are the leaders of the future.

Don't be rich, you evil, evil people!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    I just read the SPLASH manifesto...all I can say is...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Unfortunately kids, these people are WINNING.
    well maybe with the global warming crowd losing credibility, hopefully this will turn around.

Harold Hemberger

10. Collapse Details

Just like Lake George NY did last year on the Poker Run planned there, we went somewhere else.

I will spend the $5k to $7k for that weekend in another area buying gas, food, meals, beverages, hotel rooms, souvenirs and so forth. All the employees, property tax paying owners, shareholders, contractors and suppliers of the establishments in the new area where these moneys will be spent will I am sure welcome the new spending.

As for Kingston... I hope they get a lot of economic activity from the four emp-burlap sac wearing hippies from that SPLASH Commune, as well as the two stoner spectator watching them kissing owls while eating tree bark in a park by their pop-tent.
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

11. Collapse Details
    Poker Runs cancelled
    a few questions

1) Does anybody know of any communities that did not want the poker run . if so what happend.

2) How much money gets spent at these events. The 5-7K sounds like it is not an average amount that would be spent any other type of group. I would like to compile this information to show the impact.

Harold Hemberger
    www.kingstonelection2010.com

12. Collapse Details

Lake George NY, last year. Cancelled last minute.

13. Collapse Details

What Kingston needs is an expensive court case to litigate and waste citizen resources on.

It's not up to communities to dictate what is socially respectable nor a good example for children. And if they want to play the "environmental impact" card, they're going to have to examine the full impact of every non-resident that enters their town, determine whether their purpose of visit is business or recreational and study specifically what the true impact and cost truly is. That study would probably only take several years or so.

Typical knee-jerk thinking. Invent barriers based your own rationalizations and selectively impose them upon certain individuals you just don't like. Don't think so.

Oh, yeah. The issue with CO2 impact and the concept of carbon offsets is still not accepted as incontrovertible fact anywhere I'm aware of.

Or maybe I'm exhibiting my ignorance for the Canadian judicial system.

14. Collapse Details

One thing - if council this year is negative towards the Poker Run this year, Please let the Poker Run community know Oct 25th is when we have municipal elections here.
    Give us another chance next year.

For Joe549 since you lve in Kingston as well

Pro Poker Run candidates
    me - Harold Hemberger - Portsmouth District
    Patrick Foley - Cataraqui District

too soon for the rest

Harold Hemberger

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by harhem View Post
    a few questions
    2) How much money gets spent at these events. The 5-7K sounds like it is not an average amount that would be spent any other type of group. I would like to compile this information to show the impact.

Harold Hemberger
    www.kingstonelection2010.com
    That might be at towards the higher end of the spectrum, but when you take into account that most of these boat owners bring their family and friends on these runs from anywhere from 2-4 days, spending that kind of money is certainly not out of the question.

The thing that kills me is if this was some sort of sailboat regatta, do you think that they would be playing the "access to wealth" card? Highly doubt it.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    What I understand from just talking to PRA is that this group SPLASH is trying to make Kingston because of its history the first truly GREEN CITY in Canada.

The first obvious offender is wasteful high speed poker run boats.

If anyone knows BT they know he isnt about to roll over.

I have been to that event many many times and it is by far the best Poker Run bar none.

Kingston is acting like AHOLES here. The boats are PARKED at Kingston for the most part. The effect on neighbouring communities that have card stops ( especially Brockville ) would be burdensome economically.

And one must remember , for that weekend everyone parks their tow vehicles and WALKS to spend their tourist monies in the hotels restaurants and bars. Cant get any greener than that.

The economic impact study that Splash is demanding is about to waste one years contribution of this and other NON GREEN events.

Shameful waste of taxpayers money.

We should watch which councillors have the parts to tell these birdwatchers to phuck off.

17. Collapse Details

Our little group from Chicago was responsible for about $2k in bar tab alone when we went up there...and I'm not kidding.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by redhotsommer View Post
    Our little group from Chicago was responsible for about $2k in bar tab alone when we went up there...and I'm not kidding.
    So what you're saying is you took it easy that weekend?

19. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=glh;459727]Just like Lake George NY did last year on the Poker Run planned there, we went somewhere else.

And we were the only people eating in both Kingston NY and at the marina.They could not have said thank you enough.Oh and we had a great time.

20. Collapse Details

I'm no high roller and semi-thrifty but average $1K/day on vacation once airfare, drinks, cabs, food, drinks, taxes, t-shirts, drinks, tours, drinks and so on are figured in. Toss a boat in the mix, minus the airfare and add another 10-15% to the total if all goes well, more if it doesn't.