Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Performance Boats Drops Colby Column
    A lot "media news" this week, http://www.boats.com/boat-content/20...-colby-column/.

Must be a full moon.

2. Collapse Details

Wow!
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

3. Collapse Details

That sucks!

4. Collapse Details

Anybody got a link to the article? I would like to make my own call as far as what was written. Thanks.

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Well the magazine sure didn't have his back.....or much of a spine.

I always thought that controversial issues increased reader interest, but the performance boating magazines have generally steered away from that sort of thing to keep the peace. Based on the sterling circulation numbers of these mags....maybe that's not working so well.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

6. Collapse Details

registered
    Wow. That's pretty lousy on the part of Performance Boats Magazine.

7. Collapse Details

"Eric is a good writer, but this is not the first time we’ve had sensitivity issues with his work," said Chris Davidson, the publisher of Performance Boats. "He will no longer be writing for us.

"I really don’t want to comment," Davidson added.
    So let me get this right. Chris owns a business that generates a product- he publishes a magazine. But before it goes to print, he doesn't read any of it?

Chris also employs a guy to manage the magazine from a content perspective. The editor. His name is Brett Bayne. I guess Brett doesn't read the magazine before it prints either?

They must not have read it. Because if they did, surely they would have seen the incendiary nature of the article and instantly noticed what Eric's insensitivity blinded him to...

It's funny how a purportedly inflammatory article was written and published, but it being published is now the responsibility of the writer.

I guess that may play better than...

"The realities of this economy have not been kind to a startup magazine attempting to compete with other long-established publications. At this time we have to trim costs and while Eric is a fine and knowledgeable writer we simply have to make due with fewer resources in order to survive".

8. Collapse Details

registered
    Furthermore:

"Eric is a good writer, but this is not the first time we’ve had sensitivity issues with his work," said Chris Davidson, the publisher of Performance Boats. "He will no longer be writing for us.

"I really don’t want to comment," Davidson added.
    But...in reality, he did comment.

9. Collapse Details

He'd have been better off not.

This is why companies have separation agreements with key employees- to avoid their dirty laundry from being aired in public.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I think I flunked "Sensitivity 101".....................5 times.

But I aced "Common sense" and "Plain Truth"......sadly neither of these courses is available any more.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WOTW2E View Post
    Anybody got a link to the article? I would like to make my own call as far as what was written. Thanks.
    +1....inquiring minds want to read

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    So let me get this right. Chris owns a business that generates a product- he publishes a magazine. But before it goes to print, he doesn't read any of it?

Chris also employs a guy to manage the magazine from a content perspective. The editor. His name is Brett Bayne. I guess Brett doesn't read the magazine before it prints either?

They must not have read it. Because if they did, surely they would have seen the incendiary nature of the article and instantly noticed what Eric's insensitivity blinded him to...

It's funny how a purportedly inflammatory article was written and published, but it being published is now the responsibility of the writer.

"The realities of this economy have not been kind to a startup magazine attempting to compete with other long-established publications. At this time we have to trim costs and while Eric is a fine and knowledgeable writer we simply have to make due with fewer resources in order to survive".
    +1 My thoughts exactly. Hard to believe nobody on staff caught it before it went to print.
    They could have done a much better job of handling this.

13. Collapse Details

Great post.
    Making the best in the industry BETTER since 1990...LIP-SHIP Performance: 305-933-9988

2010 Desert Storm Poker Run extravaganza - 04/22 through 4/25 Lake Havasu, Az.

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Maybe they did not think it was bad until, Maybe some advertising money was about to be pulled, Both Chris and Eric are great guys.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

15. Collapse Details

Chris, you sure hit the nail on the head here. Eric is a close friend of mine, he lives a few miles from me. He's a very honest man with a heart of gold. I have not read the article but for PB to air out this drama is in very poor taste.

Kurt

16. Collapse Details

Hey Kurt,

To be fair to Performance Boats, they did not "air out" anything. I wrote it as a news story on speedonthewater.com because Eric is well-known figure in the high-performance boat world and Performance Boats is a prominent magazine.

17. Collapse Details

Jeez, I've only been fired twice in my life, and Brett Bayne did it both times...........

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
    Jeez, I've only been fired twice in my life, and Brett Bayne did it both times...........
    You're fired!
    Allergic to Nonsense

19. Collapse Details

S**t!

20. Collapse Details

He was critical because someone was legally intoxicated and they fired him because some advertiser threw a fit?