Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    C if George over there 2 the left can negotiate that 4 ya!!!!!
    Tracey, I like this idea

Live Wire. I talked to the Poker Runs America guys and they tell me that their New Jersey poker run has a 50mph class. That would be a fun run to go on. Out to the Statue of Liberty and back to Trump Marina.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by .38Special View Post
    Tracey, I like this idea

Live Wire. I talked to the Poker Runs America guys and they tell me that their New Jersey poker run has a 50mph class. That would be a fun run to go on. Out to the Statue of Liberty and back to Trump Marina.
    I've never heard of this one, is it new? That's quite a long run, roughly 100 miles each way I'd guess!

3. Collapse Details

Tracey, I like this idea

And when are they planning this for?

4. Collapse Details

All our LTPA.net runs here welcome everyone from 150mph 40+ ft cats to my lil ole 65mph 21 ft Chappy ,they are more about fun than run.
    Not everyone likes that either, we have guys coming from
    other places to run here that ***** about how they dont
    like our runs because its not all 100mph 100K boats.
    I am frankly suprised that poker runs have evolved to the point were
    most are faster and as dangerous as all out races yet many are held on enclosed public
    waters (lakes) with no safety/governing body like a real race has.
    Its only a matter of time before public pressure or a big accident will
    make it impossible to insure these events.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    I agree! My crew is what makes all the events a good time!!!

The crew in your boat is who you will be spending the majority of your time with, so you better make it a fun group or you can be in for a long weekend

6. Collapse Details

Am I the only one that thought he was talking about age? I still have a couple of months before I am no longer in my 20's so maybe it is on my mind!!

I am really interested in the NJPPC 28 and under PR in Sept., sounds like it could be a great time!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LIVE WIRE View Post
    The few Poker Runs I've attend I come back home very depressed that I never made anything out of myself and wished I'd payed more attention in school LOL. Seems every boat there is 40' long with 1075's & pair of sixes hanging off the back with TAOD paint jobs.

Then I show up like a red headed step child with my 2008 Whippled 496 288 bowrider ( and proud of it). And usually get docked with all the Center Consoles & express cruisers that had to be relocated for the run. Once my lines are situated I sign in . I like seeing all the comradery of the old friends breaking each others balls and walking the docks looking at all the exotic hardware and dreaming maybe someday ???

Then the run starts , I do my best to keep up at first . Sometimes I leave before everyone to get a jump out front to grab some fresh blue water before I get swamped in sea of white foam and bubbles. It feels like I'm in the middle of a game of frogger as 100MPH++ boats blast past me like I'm a bouy. Then it's not long before I'm frantically searching for some reminence of a wake or at least the left over bubbles and fumbleing with the GPS for way points @ 70MPH while holding on for dear life to the 2nd card stop. It's not uncommon for me to follow some other innocent performance boater who has no idea that there is even a poker run happening right to his house or favorite boat lauch. Who then shoots me the " what the hell is the matter with this dude " look as I do some frantic nautical manuver to find my way back to the run.

I've also come to realize that very few of the "elite" even make it to the 3rd card stop and usually head right back to the marina to fight over who got to the 2nd card stop first .The 3rd 4th & 5th stops are usually left to us rank & file participants of the run. After the run I'm usually so beat up and wind burnt that I cant get to a mojito fast enough .

Thou some of the above story might be a little exagerated you can probaly get the idea. So my question is this .... Is there any up & coming poker runs preferably in the NY,NJ & CT area that will cater to us the less fortunate and have a poker run for ( 30' and under or 85MPH and under) or at least a division that we can run in this coming poker run season so I dont have to spend my day searching for bubbles.

PS... There was no intention to disrespect the over 30' population or the guy's with the exotic hardware , someday I hope to be there... or to complain about poker runs in general. It was just to give some insight into the trials and tribulations of running a little boat in a poker run.

I know what you mean exactly! The best kept secrets in Poker Runs (Jacksonville, Jammin on the James to name two) have now gone mains stream and the heavy hitters show up.

Want to come a bit further south? Come to Norfolk Va for the American Cancer Society's Powerboating for a Cure poker run.
    It is one of those well kept secrets, but probably one of the fastest growing poker runs in the country now. You will fit in just fine and will made to feel VERY welcome and appreciated. In our poker run; it's all about the partys and socializing. Folks with every kind of boat are in attendance.
    Here is the thread from last year - check it out:
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...ead.php?t=7381

I will be starting a new thread any day now and we are also on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/Powerboatingforacure?ref=ts

PM me for more info
    BillR

8. Collapse Details

Interesting read! I guess we are blessed. We have a perfect combination of boat size and water size. Our average boat length is 31 feet. We have enough open water to let the big fast boats cut loose for a while. But it’s not too big that the conditions get to rough for the smaller boats. The course layout keeps a lot of the boats together so everyone get to enjoy the eye candy and camaraderie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC-DFZ-YLc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xym6C3CX5qA

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Caincando1 View Post
    Interesting read! I guess we are blessed. We have a perfect combination of boat size and water size. Our average boat length is 31 feet. We have enough open water to let the big fast boats cut loose for a while. But it’s not too big that the conditions get to rough for the smaller boats. The course layout keeps a lot of the boats together so everyone get to enjoy the eye candy and camaraderie.
    Great Vid's ...thanks for sharing . Maybe I just have to move

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    Am I the only one that thought he was talking about age? I still have a couple of months before I am no longer in my 20's so maybe it is on my mind!!

I am really interested in the NJPPC 28 and under PR in Sept., sounds like it could be a great time!
    Me too. I am a check on this page twice - under 30 from both aspects as well.

I can honestly never done a run as I was always under the impression that I wouldn't be able to keep up (25' Baja topping out at a blistering 64).

11. Collapse Details

Live Wire. I talked to the Poker Runs America guys and they tell me that their New Jersey poker run has a 50mph class. That would be a fun run to go on. Out to the Statue of Liberty and back to Trump Marina.[/QUOTE]

Hey guys, I meant the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run on June 25th. Maybe I got the card stops mixed up, but I know he told me they have a class for the slower boats. Sounds fun either way
    Last edited by .38Special; 03-19-2010 at 12:07 PM.

12. Collapse Details

Jammin on the James and the one BillR posted are not ego runs at all - lots of cool guys, lots of hardware from 25-40 feet, people run all the stops, and a nice combination of small water and the potential for a little big water.

Don't worry about running fast, or getting there in front of anyone.

I can honestly say that I believe I have finished dead last in all the poker runs I have ever done, but knock on wood I have never had to repair anything as a result - that's whats important to me.

OH - and no biased docking. I was sandwiched inbetween a 26 SeaRay cuddy cabin last year and a one of 2 Commemrative Edition CIG TOPGUN.

13. Collapse Details

I meant the PRA Atlantic City Run. Maybe I got the card stops mixed up, but I know he told me they have a class for the slower boats. Sounds fun either way
    What you REALLY mean is the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run on June 25th that has a 60mph group

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    What you REALLY mean is the NJPPC Atlantic City Poker Run on June 25th that has a 60mph group
    my peeps!!

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    If PRA messes with Jersey.....

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
    If PRA messes with Jersey.....
    We've got the Sopranos beat by 150 cast members

17. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyOutlaw View Post
    I ran the Atlantic City poker run last year in my 05' 25 Baja Outlaw 496HO, had a great time and I am going to run it again this year. Very few people will make you feel the way you feel at these runs, but there are also alot of people, regaurdless of the boat, that will focus on the common interest instead. Dave, the club pres. will make you feel welcome and right at home at any of these events. My wife and I and our 25 Outlaw felt welcome at the AC poker run where you had boats from a Baja 240 Sport to 50' Nortechs. You should be enjoying these event as I do, hey if someone doesn't want to talk to me because I have a 25ft Baja, then I see it as their loss. I'm looking foward to the Black Jack Poker run, it's gonna be great. Stan
    Stan,

I couldn't agree more.
    Here is how I started Poker Running and was welcomed by everyone. Even though I did leave a few boats behind at the Barnegat Inlet and proceeded to the Manasquan....
    Running outside was great !
    I only wish there was someone then out there to get pics...
    With that small of a boat they would have needed a mighty large lens...

DaveP and the rest of the NJPPC thank you for not turning me away the day I signed up for the club.

Who would have ever thought it would bring me to where I am today....

18. Collapse Details

How about my wife and I hanging with Bob Teague at last years A.C. Poker Run, that'll make ya feel welcome!!!!

Oh and Flava Dave too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG7331.jpg   CIMG7333.jpg   CIMG7329.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Kevin,

We are doing a run in CT this summer with the NPBA and all boats of all sizes are welcome! It's based out of Old Saybrook. There is always a ton of under 30 boats at Billy's runs and they always have a good time! See you at the Mahopac spring run,

www.nationalpowerboat.com

Dan

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Team Tsunami View Post
    Kevin,

We are doing a run in CT this summer with the NPBA and all boats of all sizes are welcome! It's based out of Old Saybrook. There is always a ton of under 30 boats at Billy's runs and they always have a good time! See you at the Mahopac spring run,

www.nationalpowerboat.com

Dan
    Thanks Dan ,

That run looks great, and lauching out Old Saybrook is my favorite boating area. Between this Run and the NJ Black Jack run my wishes have been answered.

So right now its looking to be a good summer. I'm looking at doing Mahopacs runs (spring & fall) , Sunsation Rally , I'll take my yearly beating at the NYC run , The NPBA run & NJ Black Jack then maybe end the season reality check at the Glen Cove run in LI just so my head doesnt get to big