Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Ditto what Mikey said about the CBPBA. They always put on a 1st class run and make accomodations for all types of boats (center consoles, fast, faster and even express cruisers). The first run is for charity "Leukemia Poker Run 6/25-27" .

I can relate to "live wire's" post, I did my first poker run in a Baja 270, after getting beat up a few times in the Chesapeake Bay, I went to a 35' Sonic (with progressively faster engines to try and keep up). Now I have an express cruiser, and can make those mojito's on the run - lol.

2. Collapse Details

The Cig 20 Regatta wil be held Sept. 18 at LOTO...mostly Cig 20's and Donzi's.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

3. Collapse Details

Support Our Troops Poker Run At loto. Has boats of all sizes & 4 different speed groups. I think 5+ TX'ans came up for it last year.

http://midwestboatparty.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24327

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    Kevin,

I agree with your assessment as I've experienced it as well....

First having an old 86' Scarab then an old 95' Apache..... They used to park me in the back away from the top contenders... It got me so infuriated that in one particular instance I had my sister tell the organizer that if I don't get a dock spot close to the action that I'll never do the run again.... That year they rolled out the carpet and even had me do an interview...

I've been poker running since the late 1990's and it wasn't till 05'/06' that things got better for me. I suppose the squeaky wheel gets the grease. For me it seemed, not only was it the age of my boat but also my physical age (I was under 30 yrs). It's supposed to be fun, not a race or a penis size contest (in my opinion).

And as far as not finishing, it's my belief that if you don't make all the card stops you shouldn't be allowed to play the game!

cry baby

you would have a blanket party at every run if it wasnt for sis
    VP of Operations, GLOC's Fastest Pontoon 2009

5. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
    LiveWire - You absolutely cannot go wrong with the NJPPC BlackJack Run. I'm getting my 28-footer back together just to do that event. Awesome, awesome club.

The Northern Chesapeake Poker Run out of Tome's Landing on the Susquehanna River on June 18th and 19th would be worth a look as well: http://ncbpr.com/

I am doing this run this year for the first time! A couple of us from Middle River are doing it since its stopping at River Watch, that is right in our river! Its an awesome place!

LiveWire- You should try the Leukimia Poker Run with the CBPBA, very good run, laid back run and short distance stops...

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    LW.. LOL not much exeguration here.
    No worries, been there.. done that.

My first PR was in a new 26 footer. (eraly 90's) Took a beating trying to stay in the lower middle boys on the Lake Mich. 130+ boats and eventually I and a few others brought up the rear with loose fittings in our teeth. 15+ years later, I am still one of the smallest boats in many events, and while I can stay in the midle of the pack, Poker Runs evolved to more of a shoot out then a casual run. However, I do enjoy the events.

Any one having a 125 MPH or + boat not welcoming you as a boater and have a drink with you, they are not worth drinkig with. Showing up and having a great time IS.
    I glad you got a laugh at it , Its really was just as a goof to be laughed at. And I enjoy the runs too. I have really havent had any problems with the guys at the runs everyone is just trying to have good time. Bottom line is if the Poker Runs catered a little more to the little guys I think attendance would increase and the event would be better for everyone

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by LIVE WIRE View Post

Then I show up like a red headed step child with my 2008 Whippled 496 288 bowrider ( and proud of it). And usually get docked with all the Center Consoles & express cruisers that had to be relocated for the run. Once my lines are situated I sign in . I like seeing all the comradery of the old friends breaking each others balls and walking the docks looking at all the exotic hardware and dreaming maybe someday ???

Thou some of the above story might be a little exagerated you can probaly get the idea. So my question is this .... Is there any up & coming poker runs preferably in the NY,NJ & CT area that will cater to us the less fortunate and have a poker run for ( 30' and under or 85MPH and under) or at least a division that we can run in this coming poker run season so I dont have to spend my day searching for bubbles.

PS... There was no intention to disrespect the over 30' population or the guy's with the exotic hardware , someday I hope to be there... or to complain about poker runs in general. It was just to give some insight into the trials and tribulations of running a little boat in a poker run.
    I ran the Atlantic City poker run last year in my 05' 25 Baja Outlaw 496HO, had a great time and I am going to run it again this year. Very few people will make you feel the way you feel at these runs, but there are also alot of people, regaurdless of the boat, that will focus on the common interest instead. Dave, the club pres. will make you feel welcome and right at home at any of these events. My wife and I and our 25 Outlaw felt welcome at the AC poker run where you had boats from a Baja 240 Sport to 50' Nortechs. You should be enjoying these event as I do, hey if someone doesn't want to talk to me because I have a 25ft Baja, then I see it as their loss. I'm looking foward to the Black Jack Poker run, it's gonna be great. Stan

8. Collapse Details

Hey Live, up at the Boyne Thunder run(July 9-11) the last couple years, we do a 2 stage start! Smaller less fast boats go out 1st & get a start so they don't end up 2 far behind at lunch & all the other going's on!! Other than the rough water the last couple years, think it works pretty good!! Come on up & give us a try!

9. Collapse Details

Too me poker runs are ok, I enjoy meeting and talking to the people more than the actual run itself. We do alot of group runs with Bad Influence Offshore, pic a desination, meet there and see what happens. I guess I perfer the "non-formal" type of boating or just taking my family to the beach! A day of boating with my son is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
    cry baby

you would have a blanket party at every run if it wasnt for sis
    You don't even have a boat my brother....
    Just ask Stecz how I pointed out to the interviewer how he didn't have a boat either, when I pointed to the empty slip next to me while he was bustin my ballz in the background of my interview... It truely was a classic!

Plus, when crowd consists of guys like you and Stecz, I'd rather make new friends!

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Check out www.cbpba.com a lot of our Poker Runs you would fit into very well. We do have some fast boats but we also have a good 50mph group that you would run in with no problem. If you want any info please shoot me a pm and I will help in whatever way I can. Chris and a few others from here on serious did our South Run last year and had a blast. I am trying to get those Mahopac boys to come down as well. Maybe this year
    You have my word. I will be down
    Mahopac Marina
    Outerlimits/Sunsation & Stingray Dealer
    www.mahopacmarina.com 845-628-6550 sales@mahopacmarina.com

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member - E Dock GENERAL LEE's Avatar
    Don't feel bad man, I used to get dusted myself in my 38 TS Top Gun! Haha, the key is to have a few buddies to cruise the run with. I do that in the Skater as well, since I prefer to fill it with gas, and run it as much as possible if I'm going to the trouble to get it there.

I'm still not even close to the fastest, but that isn't my goal. I like being able to cruise at 100mph, without pushing my equipment too hard, and without scaring the hell out of my passengers, so that's why I got a cat. If the sole intention is to be the first to the card stop, or just do the first card stop & return, it just doesn't seem worth the time & effort to bring the boat for me since we don't live close to most of the good runs.

You should be having fun with whatever you brought, even if you're not docked up front, or in the top 5 to the first stop. Just bring a fun crew with you, and enjoy the run however you like, then you won't be disappointed.

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor mikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MahopacMarine View Post
    You have my word. I will be down
    Ok you got a deal just bring some boats with you!!!!!!!

Mikey
    Miss Geico Racing # 113

14. Collapse Details

Last one to the stop gets to leave when he wants. Everyone on the inside waits.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post

You should be having fun with whatever you brought, even if you're not docked up front, or in the top 5 to the first stop. Just bring a fun crew with you, and enjoy the run however you like, then you won't be disappointed.

We have always have a great time and always have some good friends along for the ride. I actually prefer parking behind the dumpsters , this way its easier to get out first . It never about having the badest boat or being first to the card stop its all about the ride.

Me and my little engine that could at the 08 NYC run approaching the Tap. 3 hours at WOT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kevins Boat.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by GENERAL LEE View Post
    Just bring a fun crew with you, and enjoy the run however you like, then you won't be disappointed.
    I agree! My crew is what makes all the events a good time!!!

We have always have a great time and always have some good friends along for the ride.

Me and my little engine that could at the 08 NYC run approaching the Tap. 3 hours at WOT.
    I think that's what it's all about!! Look forward to seeing you this summer!

PS, thanks for helping us find the card stop that year!

17. Collapse Details

We have always have a great time and always have some good friends along for the ride. I actually prefer parking behind the dumpsters , this way its easier to get out first . It never about having the badest boat or being first to the card stop its all about the ride.

That's a great picture Kevin.
    Just think about it, 3 hours at WOT on a stock bottom end with a Whipple. Nice
    Mahopac Marina
    Outerlimits/Sunsation & Stingray Dealer
    www.mahopacmarina.com 845-628-6550 sales@mahopacmarina.com

18. Collapse Details

29 Formula never felt on the outside at any NJPPC event have done the AC run twice.One ran the offshore route and held my own.Can't do it this year but will do the under 30 run.Do the Hudson run great time.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    Hey Live, up at the Boyne Thunder run(July 9-11) the last couple years, we do a 2 stage start! Smaller less fast boats go out 1st & get a start so they don't end up 2 far behind at lunch & all the other going's on!! Other than the rough water the last couple years, think it works pretty good!! Come on up & give us a try!
    1st stagers get a discount rate? If so im in LOL

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by hotjava66 View Post
    1st stagers get a discount rate? If so im in LOL
    C if George over there 2 the left can negotiate that 4 ya!!!!!