Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
  1. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    you dont't need new head bolts or studs. the egr cooler block off would be nice to have. since the body has been removed you have most likely had the updated bolts and gaskets installed. that is one of the few repairs where a tech would remove the body. get rid of the egr cooler. i block off a cooler about once a week for someone who either wants it done or has a blown cooler.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

2. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    is blocking off the cooler ,,something i can do,,or not ,,,he says he has to pull the intake and block off something and rerouts a line with a braded line for 400 dollars ,, or is that a good deal ,,he is very trust worthy on fords ,,he works for the emergency ambulance company for the city and works on ps for a long time,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    WELL i,v already went thru the inercooler stuff, where they took my cab off the frame , and rebuilt the engine ??? but now everyone is saying i need to change the head bolts and their is a guy here who blocks off the ( something under the intake )egr?? and he says it will stop all the heat fron exhaust going into the coolant ,,??I love the truck and i,m looking for a long term fix ...milage 132,000

George
    I Just had ARP head studs installed with new gaskets, along w/ new EGR cooler and oil cooler. The studs were installed so I can install a tuner without worrying about blowing head gaskets again, due to OEM head bolts stretching.
    Also will be doing a full EGR delete soon. Problem here in NJ is passing emission inspection. Real gauges are a must to monitor real time temps. I just installed the EDGE insight to monitor all engine functions.

4. Collapse Details

the head studs make no difference. it is the gaskets and the ammount of bolts that hinder the operation of the 6.0. but what is the worst that can happen? if you keep your coolant level at the correct level then the tank will vent at high load operation and all is fine. the studs are a fast and silly way to spend $800.00 the bolts have been updated and the rockewr box is aluminum. so torque to yeild shoulf be used. \

the real secret and what i do it wet-sand the head and deck. i have never had one come back blown again with my repairs being made. some with lifts and huge tuners and customers with lead feet. but never comming back. i have done at least 50 head jobs on a 6.0 and do not support the use of the studs. you just dont need them. they make a gasket that is not MLS and woul dbe the better answer to why the cooling system vents. but i have never installed anything but the ford gaskets and bolts. i run them down a little tighter. but no studs here even on my own truck

5. Collapse Details

Fixxxer
    I appreciate your insight. Im not mechanic by any means, and I respect your input. I have just read on all the diesel forums that if you use a tuner on the 6.0s with OEM headbolts, the bolts stretch and then you blow head gaskets. Ive already done it, so better safe than sorry, I guess.

thanks again. I look forward to picking your brain in the furure.

6. Collapse Details

i was not trying to poo poo on the studs.... the largest problem i expirence is that they do have a head gasket issue. i can agree with that. but 90% of the time it is just the EGR cooler acting like blown head gaskets. purging the tank when exhaust gas enters the blown cooler. I replace 10 egr coolers to 1 set of head gaskets. and the OEM bolts have been updated since the problem was identified. also the torque spec is very different. cranking them down even harder.

I have heard alot of input from customers that visit sites and talk to people that have very weird questions. i dont think the bulk of those guys are in the trenches every day fixing the 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 like I am. The enthusiast has much to learn about that power plant. same as i do when it comes to high performance boating. hell, i even have a kid in the shop that sits on the powerstroke forums and he gasve me this TSB that a dude on there reccomended for a flutter concern. The TSB was 3 years old and superceeded. i have no idea how he got it but it was not really correct to his concern. the kid annoys the s*** out of me so he would rather look online than ask me questions ( and believe me he has 1000 per day!)

the studs cant hurt at all. as long as they are holding the heads on thumbs up. i was just saying i dont reccomend them i think they cost too much. if they were $200 or so i would go with them.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    is blocking off the cooler ,,something i can do,,or not ,,,he says he has to pull the intake and block off something and rerouts a line with a braded line for 400 dollars ,, or is that a good deal ,,he is very trust worthy on fords ,,he works for the emergency ambulance company for the city and works on ps for a long time,,
    ill send you a blocked off cooler for $100.00 that is the cheapest way to go. and it looks factory in case someone inspects to see if you installed a tricky tube kit or some other delete kit that removes the cooler entirely.

8. Collapse Details

oh yeah, the 03 and early 04 egr coolers are ( in comparison ) much stronger than the updated late 04 through 07 coolers. the 03 ones are round and weigh much more than the newer ones. i think they were built a little stronger. i have prob only repaced 5 to 10 of them failed. as opposed to the about 200 i have replaced on the 04 and later trucks.

9. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    thanks fixer,,we don,t have any type of inspections in Fla ,,so i cando what ever i need to ,,,i,m looking for gas mileage and maybe a little power,,, so i don,t have to pull the intake to install this,,,and what is his bypass hose doing? i,ll pm you ,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

10. Collapse Details

no, to install a egr block off of any kind you will need to remove the intake. sorry for the bad news. I do them on the side for $300 if you want to bring the truck to me LOL!

11. Collapse Details

fixxer i got my studs for 500.. I blew the heads twice. So studs went in. ps.. the ford fix didn't stop the stretching, which was the same as you do. Now i just need to do the egr delete to be extra good. Then if i could find a great deal on some injectors i would even be happier And if i have to, I have found some O-ringed heads...they might be an option if something happens again.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ZBODaytona View Post
    fixxer Then if i could find a great deal on some injectors i would even be happier .
    you want stock or hi-po injectors? I may have both in stock, new or reman
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    you want stock or hi-po injectors? I may have both in stock, new or reman
    i may be interested in the hi-po. are they navistar? how much? what are the differences between factory and those?

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by ZBODaytona View Post
    fixxer i got my studs for 500.. I blew the heads twice. So studs went in. ps.. the ford fix didn't stop the stretching, which was the same as you do. Now i just need to do the egr delete to be extra good. Then if i could find a great deal on some injectors i would even be happier And if i have to, I have found some O-ringed heads...they might be an option if something happens again.
    man, either you need a different tech or you are running one hell of a chip! Dont melt it down watch your EGTs. Hope they hold on. But i have replaced gaskets again on trucks with studs. I will ask my FSE. but they make a head gasket for the 6.0 aftermarket that is not MLS it is like the one on the 7.3 and i hear they hold up well when putting lots of power to them.

i blew my gaskets pulling a s-10 on a skid steer trailer up a hill. no chip no nothing. pulled the body off and did them under warranty. since then no big deal. i have tried a few chips but i dont like any. so i run her stock. i always feel like i am going to crush the trans.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    i may be interested in the hi-po. are they navistar? how much? what are the differences between factory and those?
    the original we sell are Alliant and they are $199.90 each, new-exchange... the hi-po are from Ditech and, IMO, are priced out of the market, but they are $319.20 each, and are about 70hp more than stock installed as a set of 8, and they do sell very well considering the price...

JH
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    man, either you need a different tech or you are running one hell of a chip! Dont melt it down watch your EGTs. Hope they hold on. But i have replaced gaskets again on trucks with studs. I will ask my FSE. but they make a head gasket for the 6.0 aftermarket that is not MLS it is like the one on the 7.3 and i hear they hold up well when putting lots of power to them.

i blew my gaskets pulling a s-10 on a skid steer trailer up a hill. no chip no nothing. pulled the body off and did them under warranty. since then no big deal. i have tried a few chips but i dont like any. so i run her stock. i always feel like i am going to crush the trans.
    It's a pretty big setup.(only run it when i am empty though). I have a nice mild tow tunes..but I have gauges and I watch them constantly. From what I have been told I am at the limit of my stock injectors and probably even the turbo. Last injectors I saw were around 3500 plus for them. Out of my price range now.
    If I blow another gasket, I will probably look into the O-ringed heads. I thought 1600 for the set is a fair price, your thoughts?
    The nice thing about my tuner is it does the tranny too, never once have I felt any slip. Of course, if it goes, which it can..i'll just build it bigger too.

17. Collapse Details

yeah, i have ran some crappy ones. just jerks me around. called one of the manufacturers and they said i have a learning tranny and that it would take awhile. I never told them i was a ford tech. it does not learn