Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

What's the word on the new 6.2L gasser? I just ordered a F-150 FX-4 with the 5.4L. Should I have held out a couple more months?

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Madpoodle View Post
    You ain't that tall...
    If I pick up another 1/2" of fat on the top of my head and the bottom of my feet, I will be.

3. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me View Post
    What's the word on the new 6.2L gasser? I just ordered a F-150 FX-4 with the 5.4L. Should I have held out a couple more months?
    Not sure about the 1/2-tons, but I hear the 6.2 is going to be a hot sht new engine.

They claim you can pull 22,500 pounds with it in a superduty.
    385 horsepower and 405 pound-feet of torque.

4. Collapse Details

I guess I'm just old-school. Using some tiny little engine with big power output just doesn't seem like a recipe for longetivity.

I have a CAT 3126 on my shop floor right now. The block alone weighs more than a whole 6.0 out of my Excursion. And the engine has it's first trouble- at 785K.

5. Collapse Details

SO Tech Expert: Ford PSD's fixxxer22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I guess I'm just old-school. Using some tiny little engine with big power output just doesn't seem like a recipe for longetivity.

I have a CAT 3126 on my shop floor right now. The block alone weighs more than a whole 6.0 out of my Excursion. And the engine has it's first trouble- at 785K.
    i agree but, After my course on the 6.7 it really seems that Ford engineers had their thinking caps on. mabye it will be ok and have the usual life of an old 350 chevy. ya know those... "100k, sh!T she is just getting broke in."

the issues with toyota really warm my heart (i do not want anyone hurt). Now they see what it is like being up with the big dogs. and lets face it, no one on this site thinks a toyaota can stand up to any truck from the big 3. innovation is going to be a part of the newer trucks. And diesel will fade its way out. These high strung gassers may be all that we are left with.

You know all of us here have pushed a big block farther than it was intented too.
    Now recruiting Mississippi power boaters.

6. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    i agree but, After my course on the 6.7 it really seems that Ford engineers had their thinking caps on. mabye it will be ok and have the usual life of an old 350 chevy. ya know those... "100k, sh!T she is just getting broke in."

the issues with toyota really warm my heart (i do not want anyone hurt). Now they see what it is like being up with the big dogs. and lets face it, no one on this site thinks a toyaota can stand up to any truck from the big 3. innovation is going to be a part of the newer trucks. And diesel will fade its way out. These high strung gassers may be all that we are left with.

You know all of us here have pushed a big block farther than it was intented too.
    Ain't that the truth!

Toyota learned really quickly what it means to be on the radar....an aspiration they fought for, and are now grappling with.

Re: the new 6.7...I'm pretty excited. Ford's going for gold with this new offering. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

7. Collapse Details

the weird thing is that there are cases of the throttle pedal on the toyota having a conflitcting reading not just being stuck. On a ford (since we have had them since the intoduction of the 7.3 DI) when our pedals have conflicting readings they go to idle not wide open throttle. Just a little food for thought. A little software engineering and safe calibration can make a difference.

8. Collapse Details

After I run out of excursions, I imagine my daily driver will be a triple-cab F650. I'm not driving a toy.

9. Collapse Details

After I run out of excursions, I imagine my daily driver will be a triple-cab F650. I'm not driving a toy.
    touche. I would love a 650.

10. Collapse Details

excited about the 6.7 can't wait to get my hands on one!!!!

11. Collapse Details

I agree with Chris on this one. Take a look at big rigs. My mack has a 12 liter inline 6 with 700k miles, and still holds 25-30lbs of oil psi at idle like it did when it was new. Uses 3qts of oil every 10k miles(holds 9 gallons), and gets 7-8mpg pulling my empty dump trailer, which still the tractor and empty trailer weigh 30k lbs together.

Now, take a new F450 dually with the 6.4. Engine half the size, less than a third of the wieght, MUCH more aerodynamic, and yet 10-11mpg? Strap a trailer to it, and what 8? Pretty sad that when im rollin down the road at 80k lbs in my rig at 65mph, Im gettin close to the same mpg as a guy in a new F450 pullin a ski boat next to me.

I hear guys all the time when referring to the newer diesel pickups, "oh man, 150k miles aint nothin for a diesel". Ya, well in my opinion, they are tired, and time bombs at that point!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post

I hear guys all the time when referring to the newer diesel pickups, "oh man, 150k miles aint nothin for a diesel". Ya, well in my opinion, they are tired, and time bombs at that point!
    I have 363,000 on mine... going strong!! runs 15"s in the 1/4 too!
    35 Cigarette Mistress

13. Collapse Details

Mild thunder we have two f-350 work trucks with over 300k (hard abusive) miles still in use everyday. My personal truck has 175000 and going strong. knock on wood.

14. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer22 View Post
    here is the most recent chart from the diesel suppliment in the owners guide. this is what the truck will do to warn you about a low ammount of DEF and what the truck will do if you ignore it.

and Mark, pee pee may not work too well. It can tell its concentration by how well it is cutting NOx emmissions.
    I missed it the first time, but I just finally caught this little tid-bit of info. You know, I'm not too happy about that.

If I'm reading it right, it says that when you run out or urea, you're limited to 50mph, and if you continue to run without urea for more than 200miles, your truck is disabled and idled.

That's bullsht.

I doubt it will last long though...wait for the first time someone has an emergency and they sue because their truck wouldn't let them drive it.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    I missed it the first time, but I just finally caught this little tid-bit of info. You know, I'm not too happy about that.

If I'm reading it right, it says that when you run out or urea, you're limited to 50mph, and if you continue to run without urea for more than 200miles, your truck is disabled and idled.

That's bullsht.

I doubt it will last long though...wait for the first time someone has an emergency and they sue because their truck wouldn't let them drive it.
    where are you going to find urea between El Paso and San Antonio...
    does Santa's sleigh have a blower ?

16. Collapse Details

registered
    "Exhaust Fluid"...there's got be a joke in here somewhere.
    Reminds me of muffler bearings.

17. Collapse Details

Does the system really know what fluid is going in there? Could you dump windshield washer fluid in there, or is it sensing exhaust emissions and controlling it that way?

18. Collapse Details

registered
    Does the system really know what fluid is going in there? Could you dump windshield washer fluid in there, or is it sensing exhaust emissions and controlling it that way?
    Doubt it. It gives warnings with 800 miles left, 300 left, 99, and zero. I'd guess it's just some kind of float level indicator. I'm sure there would be ways of fooling it.

19. Collapse Details

I believe it has some kind of sensor in the DEF tank that measures the chemistry of the fluid. I am sure it won't be long till someone figures out how to bypass the system all together.

20. Collapse Details

Looking at the chart, it either has a really big fluid tank or the engine doesn't use much of the fluid. And doing the math, you get quite a warning on running low. If you can't get it together enough to top it off after travelling thru 3 or 4 states, you have bigger problems