Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

Is there really a difference between a marine and auto battery? I'm looking to replace one of mine. What should I look for? Do I need to worry about anything if I get a auto battery? What should I lok for...the above confuses me!

2. Collapse Details

Also, shouldn't this be on the dock? We are talking about boat batteries.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DollaBill View Post
    regulare batt's get changed every year. Gels every 2 years. I don't care how perfect they are.
    I 2nd that!!! Better safe than sorry....

Or... better to have and not need...Than to need and not have...

Divenstar

4. Collapse Details

Freind of mine let me know about sale at Academy Sports a few years ago, marine dual purpose 750cc batts for $79 each AND a 20% rebate if you bought 2 of them.
    Bought 4, 3 for boat,1 for ATV. All still working great. On boat I have one that is not connected to anything but starter and sepearte on/off switch. It never gets turned on unless I kill the other two batteries. Can run stereo,dvd,light etc 10-12hours and start up with no fear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0514001642b.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

I just changed my Interstates this year after 9 seasons and they are never trickled or kept warm in the winter, just let set and they always held a charge till spring. Changed them this year because one was swolen but still started the boat just fine so i changed all 3 to be safe.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
    I just changed my Interstates this year after 9 seasons and they are never trickled or kept warm in the winter, just let set and they always held a charge till spring. Changed them this year because one was swolen but still started the boat just fine so i changed all 3 to be safe.
    Did you get them at an auto parts store?

I just don't want to pay $160 for something like the below if I don't have to.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10549

7. Collapse Details

Big Time - I don't know I just asked our in-house parts guys to get them and he found them?

8. Collapse Details

Twin Walmart auto batterys ---change them out every 2-3 years

9. Collapse Details

Thanks guys! I've had my batteries in the boat since I got it, so would rather be on the safe side and switch them out at the start of the season. Just want to make sure I am not spending money on something I don't need.

10. Collapse Details

changed mine theis weekend and just got Die Hards deep cycle. If i get a few years...it will be longer than i own this boat

11. Collapse Details

Deep cycle batteries are made to supply a slow and sterady supply of current and are engineered to be drawn down and recharged over and over again. Cranking batteries are made to deliver high levels of current at a sustained voltage over brief time periods- like cranking an engine. They're typically intolerant of repeated discharge.

If your engines start with deep cycles, you're OK. But big inch engines that are either stone cold or nice and hot and have alot of initial timing can be very difficult to start. The deep cycle may not always do the job. And with a charging system there's no reason to have them on a boat unless the use is a house battery for lights and stereo.

12. Collapse Details

I have had pretty good luck with DieHard combo marines. I got one that is over 10 years old also. It now resides on my floating dock powering a 12v pump for a pool slide. it has a lil' solar charger. Got a new one last year at Kmart since they sell DieHard for $65 bucks or so. This one and another 5-6 year old DieHard (group 24s) replaced a set of Exide Orbital. I had always thought those were Optimas because they were made to look so close. Those were about 6 years old and came with the boat when I got it. I wasn't upset by those either. My jetskis though...I still have yet to find anything that does well for more than a season. I think once I had an Interstate make it towards the end of a second summer, lead acid type. Ran an Odyseey for a season and a half in my 750sxi. Now with two 550sx's I have tried some cheaper AGMs. MegaPower or something like that. Saw them at NAPA and Autozone. Found them a lil' cheaper at local grocery Meijer store. Now I gotta figure out what is draining one of them. Anyone know a good source for jetski info, old school type? I have posted on Green Hulk, PWCtoday, and X-H2O w/o much response. I cant figure out what would drain with a simple ignition set up like that...THANKS and good luck with the batteries since summer is finally here!

13. Collapse Details

I had the same problem with jetski batteries. If they survived the summer they didn't make the winter. I even pulled them and brought them inside. Same for the motorcycle batteries. Funny thing is I get 4 or 5 years out of the $35 tractor battery that sits ignored in the barn for 8 months of the year.