Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Painting a flag on the front of boat...
    Thought some of you might like to see a little documentary on a paint job on a boat.
    the names of the pics will explain what they are.
    I know there are alot of paint jobs out there with alot of detail,,, but,,, they are using stincels and stickers to get most of there details... mine was done all freehand...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28.jpg   1 flag start of tape lines.jpg   2 deciding where to put folds.jpg  

3 flag start of blue2.jpg   4 flag start of blue3 underfront.jpg   5 lines where the folds will be.jpg  

Last edited by Bigyellowcat; 03-12-2010 at 10:28 PM.

2. Collapse Details

start of red and white stripes... it takes alot of talent (or pot) for someone to see in there head how you could tape off lines to make it look like folds that are 3d when your done... when you get to the end of the photos of this go back to these and look at the red and white lines and you will see what I mean..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6 masking for the white paint and tear at back.jpg   7 mask for white paint.jpg   8 tape off white to spray red to make stripes.jpg  

9 red and white stipes.jpg   10 red and white stripes.jpg   11 red and white stripes.jpg  

Last edited by Bigyellowcat; 03-12-2010 at 10:31 PM.

3. Collapse Details

we probably spent way to much time making sure the flag was correct to a real flag.... notice the stars are correct from the stripe side in vertical rows of 5 then 4 then 5 ect.... and the stripes are correct in number and color and the blue is on top of a white stripe.
    notice there is no stencil.. all the stars were done freehand with the airbrush..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12 figuring out an expansion patter for strech.jpg   13 starting the stars shapes freehand.jpg   14 starting stars shape.jpg  

15 more stars.jpg   16 highlighting stars.jpg   17 highlighting stars.jpg  

Last edited by Bigyellowcat; 03-12-2010 at 10:39 PM.

4. Collapse Details

the stars on a true american flag were originally Silver and stitched which made them look 3d.. so we tried to make them look 3d
    they were painted with clear paint with lots of silver pearl and small silver flake,, and the stars have a coat of clear on them that has glass ground up into little pieces in it. when the sun hits them they shimmer alot.. in the second pic, the stars that look white and are brighter have the same details as the other ones but the glass was shining the flash back into the camera...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18 highlighting stars.jpg   19 embossing stars to look 3d.jpg   20 embossing stars to look 3d.jpg  

21 more embossing.jpg   22.jpg   23.jpg  

Last edited by Bigyellowcat; 03-13-2010 at 01:12 AM.

5. Collapse Details

adding shadow to the folds to look more 3d
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24 star highlighted.jpg   25 start of shadowing folds to look 3d.jpg   26 flag drop shadowed.jpg  

27.jpg   28.jpg   29 flag cleared.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Nice job!!! When I repaint my cat I plan on adding flags also, gotta love the USA!

Now whats on the other sponson...

7. Collapse Details

Banned
    [QUOTE=bobkatz;456919]Nice job!!! When I repaint my cat I plan on adding flags also, gotta love the USA!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bobkatz View Post
    Nice job!!! When I repaint my cat I plan on adding flags also, gotta love the USA!

Now whats on the other sponson...
    I will add another string of pics for the other sponson and a string of pics for the deck of cards on the side.. I will upload those sunday night.

9. Collapse Details

Looks great!!

10. Collapse Details

Nice!!!

11. Collapse Details

Now thats a flag ! I think thats one of the nicest i have seen in awhile and with so much detail . Nice work !!

12. Collapse Details

Banned
    Incredible work.

13. Collapse Details

Outstanding! The Cleveland Construction race boat also has a very cool large flag with an Eagle.

14. Collapse Details

I noticed that you painted over the rub rail and have seen others do it too. How does it hold up?

15. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Incredible detail. Nicely done.

16. Collapse Details

Very nice. How long did it take to do that?

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo 214 View Post
    I noticed that you painted over the rub rail and have seen others do it too. How does it hold up?
    depends on how good you drive.. we painted that back in 02 and there are no scratches on it... if you dont have several thousand hours on your hour meter then I would not suggest painting over the rub rail because it would look bad if it ever touched..
    the flag would not look as good with a big stripe through it.
    I fought with the lake patrol for a year about where the numbers go on the boat, because I did not want to have to put the numbers on the flag

Quote Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
    Very nice. How long did it take to do that?
    the flag took around 120 hours

18. Collapse Details

Flag turned out great! Very nice work! but we all have different taste about where the flag is placed on the boat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all american.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat View Post
    adding shadow to the folds to look more 3d
    AMAZING..no doubt !!!!!

20. Collapse Details

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsation96 View Post
    Flag turned out great! Very nice work! but we all have different taste about where the flag is placed on the boat
    NICE