Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Summer mooring advice
    The weather's got me thinking about summer and trying to figure out where to keep the Formula. My truck isn't capable of towing the boat so that's out. I've been on the waiting list for Chicago harbors for a few years but not sure that the answer either. I was curious what everyone else does. Are you guys all trailering or what have you found as the best option? I met the owner of Sunset Bay and he seemed like a good guy and thinking I might rack store there but wanted to see what my options are.

2. Collapse Details

Alot of guys have lift in Hammond

3. Collapse Details

How big of a Formula???? where are you at north-south ect. there are lots of nice places just need more info....

4. Collapse Details

registered
    I keep my boat in a high & dry marina. If you find a good one you trust, there's no better convenience that having your boat in the water and fueled up by simply making a phone call. And the beauty is that your boat's kept dry, out of the water and out of the sun (if indoors). I think I'd be a little hesitant keeping my boat moored in the water all summer long.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by B.Z. View Post
    How big of a Formula???? where are you at north-south ect. there are lots of nice places just need more info....
    It's a 357 and I've attached a pic. I live on the North side of the city around Irving Park Rd and LSD. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails formula.JPG  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    I keep my boat in a high & dry marina. If you find a good one you trust, there's no better convenience that having your boat in the water and fueled up by simply making a phone call. And the beauty is that your boat's kept dry, out of the water and out of the sun (if indoors). I think I'd be a little hesitant keeping my boat moored in the water all summer long.
    Rack storage for a boat that big isn't going to be an option except for the far
    north side, North point. Not sure how big they will rack in East Chicago, Pastrick marina. Chicago, generally speaking is not a "boat friendly" city.

7. Collapse Details

your good at North Point , "kind of out of the way"

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    It's a 357 and I've attached a pic. I live on the North side of the city around Irving Park Rd and LSD. Thanks for your help.
    I have access to a slip if you might be considering keeping it in the water. The harbor is Belmont, the slip is 50'. If you're interested, pm me. Probably walking distance from where you live. LOL

Frank

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Medicine View Post
    Rack storage for a boat that big isn't going to be an option except for the far
    north side, North point. Not sure how big they will rack in East Chicago, Pastrick marina. Chicago, generally speaking is not a "boat friendly" city.
    Sunset bay rack stored my 402 SR1 and a 47 Fountain. East Chicago wont do more than 28ft i think. Check Crowleys. They were talking about doing it, and are right at the mouth of the lake on the cal sag. Also right off the skyway, at 95th ST and the river.

http://www.crowleys.com/

10. Collapse Details

I did rack storage from 2005-2009. It it VERY nice to come in after a long day of boating and not have to haul the boat out. Just tie up to the dock. Downside is, premium fuel wasnt available, and nothin beats gassin up on the trailer in indiana cost wise. One tank of fuel for me could have been a difference of 200 bucks with a 240 gallon capacity.

11. Collapse Details
    East Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER View Post
    Sunset bay rack stored my 402 SR1 and a 47 Fountain. East Chicago wont do more than 28ft i think. Check Crowleys. They were talking about doing it, and are right at the mouth of the lake on the cal sag. Also right off the skyway, at 95th ST and the river.

http://www.crowleys.com/
    Stored there one year with my 271 and the guys there where alittle scared with that and scrach it up a few times there not an option.

12. Collapse Details

Translation:

Tony stored his 271 there for a little while.

Apparently the employees were a little apprehensive about handling his boat, and even with the extra care they gave said boat,,,,, managed to scratch it anyway.

He would not consider this a viable storage option.

end translation

13. Collapse Details

Thanks guys! The advice and translation services are invaluable. Hey Mild Thunder....since you stored at Sunset for a few years how long on average did it take you to get through the locks to the river?

14. Collapse Details

Its only a 15 minute ride to the lake from there, but the locks can be a 45 minute ordeal.

As for the guys at sunset bay, Al, the one kid, has been running a forklift for in/out for a long time now. He is the guy to deal with there, super nice kid. He has handled brand new 47 fountains, so not sure why they would have been apprehensive about a 27 formula. One of the owners (shadow) is a super guy. Tell whoever you deal with you are one of "Joe" with "outrageous" guys.

15. Collapse Details

Its only a 15 minute ride to the lake from there, but the locks can be a 45 minute ordeal.

As for the guys at sunset bay, Al, the one kid, has been running a forklift for in/out for a long time now. He is the guy to deal with there, super nice kid. He has handled brand new 47 fountains, so not sure why they would have been apprehensive about a 27 formula. One of the owners (shadow) is a super guy. Tell whoever you deal with you are one of "Joe" with "outrageous" guys.
    This would guarantee you scratches and a big bar bill when you are done!!!! haha
    Mustang, if you don't mind the short ride to the city, Northpoint and Winthrop Harbor by Waukegan are said to be a blast. Their rack storage handles up to about 42 feet and they allow you to put it on a cradle off the rack storage to clean, service, work on it, etc., even in the shed. They say a bunch of the power boaters hang out there even during crappy weather weekends and party plus they have an awesome bar there that several of the bad influence guys have been to. I have been considering up there for my next one as it is very convenient and again out of the conditions and good people from what I have encountered. Good luck.

16. Collapse Details
    Cuz

East Chicago is the one that scrach the boat not Sunset some where in the translation someone screwed up ! or mislead you and many others.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Tony M View Post
    East Chicago is the one that scrach the boat not Sunset some where in the translation someone screwed up ! or mislead you and many others.
    lol! Sucks cuz if EC did big boats, it would be a great location! Seriously though, crowleys is a good location on the water. Even on those nasty 6-8ft days, you can always drop in, head south, and stop by one of the marinas/bars for lunch on the river.

18. Collapse Details

lol! Sucks cuz if EC did big boats, it would be a great location! Seriously though, crowleys is a good location on the water. Even on those nasty 6-8ft days, you can always drop in, head south, and stop by one of the marinas/bars for lunch on the river.
    I totally agree with this Joe, we used to launch at least half the time in Alsip and putt up the Cal Sag. We only stopped a few times at the bars but every time they were very accomodating to say the least. They loved seeing our "Cigar boats" pull up. You said it best though, we jumped into the Cal Sag when the lake got really ugly and could still have a good afternoon and pull out on the south side of Chicago with next to no traffic to get home. Can't usually say that coming from Johnny's slip in EC or Hammond/Mich City etc. How much did they charge for a slip with a lift at Papa Tulos (sp) Joe, didn't you leave it there as well?

19. Collapse Details

I don't mind a river run now and then! Tell me more about these bars everyone is taking about????

20. Collapse Details

Here's the only one you need:

http://www.skippersmarina.com/

Have a 1/2 gallon of the green stuff they sell and you'll be on another planet.