Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
  1. Collapse Details

Is that 1-10" per engine? Cool, the kit I got from Spectre has a plentum with dual 4" inlets on my TB. I wounder what would flow more 2-4" or 1-10". I think one 10" would have more volume but how do you adapt it to the TB.

2. Collapse Details

1 per engine. We made a hoop that bolts to the flame arrestor and the hose terminates right over the the flame arrestor.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 26 Spyder View Post
    Project is looking awesome! I plan a similar setup on the Squadron..
    Here are a few pics of some testing on the Cobalt I just completed.

To address the functionality of the "Ram Air", Merc used it on its new 1300/1350 engine with a 50 HP gain! Apparently there is some truth to the theory...

From Mercs website; http://mercuryracing.com/1300/
    "Air Intake
    The horsepower these engines boast is directly related to the way they breathe. The air induction. As is typical for most sterndrives, the 1300 breathes ambient air from the engine room. The 1350, on the other hand, breathes cooler outside air through a direct air induction system. It’s that cooler air that gives it the extra boost of 50 hp. The air induction system does require computer aided design (CAD) integration with your boat."

As for the water ingestion a little mist, rain or spray would prolly never make it through all of the ducting and in to the TB. Especially at the speeds you would be running when it is raining. Just have a low spot in the duct and a small drain hole, 1/4" or so will be plenty. Anyway, I have ran engines with water and water/methanol injection so again a little spray will not hurt a thing.

Now, if you stuff the boat and the wall of water hits the scoop that would be a different story....

And it seems you have covered the engine compartment ventilation needs as well so again, awesome project!
    Wow that looks familiar. I guess great minds think alike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 019.jpg   020.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Sweet! Show a few more pics! What boat is that?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by satman View Post
    Wow that looks familiar. I guess great minds think alike.
    Hey Ned, quite hyjacking my post!!! Just kidding, welcome to the site. Start a thread and show your project. I have a few more pics to post to complete the project. I hope to see you at the river some time.

6. Collapse Details

I still have not hooked mine up. If I did I would have 2 3" feeding the engine. I dont think that would be enough.

7. Collapse Details

26 Spyder its a 85 Scarab 1. Did you connect yours? Any gains? I have never connected mine. I did find that the engine compartment is way cooler that it was originally. The naca ducts pull in a lot of bugs and dirt so they must be bringing in a lot of air.

8. Collapse Details

That turned out great. I wanted to do something similar a couple years ago but I don't have the room with my throttle linkage.

People don't realize how much warm intake temps can drop hp!

You have any engine pics?

9. Collapse Details

I will take some this weekend. I had to get a 1" spacer for the plenum to clear the linkage.

10. Collapse Details

jeff did you notice any gain in your ram air????? my buddy wants to do his ???

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by bajabob 600 View Post
    jeff did you notice any gain in your ram air????? my buddy wants to do his ???
    Well, I gained about 1-2 MPH. Not bad for no internal mods. I have about $350 in the kit. If he has a easy way to route the air in then go for it. I have at least a 100hrs in the vent project. I could do it in less time now, of course. I get a lot of comments on the vents though, they look cool!!

12. Collapse Details

Great job Jeff!!I'm doing it over the winter also.I have ducts on the boat from the factory that are not connected to anything but an air box in the gunnels.Here's a pic. the sir box inside has 2 4"openings on each side already.I'm going to use pvc pipe.I let you know if it slows me down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01825.JPG  

13. Collapse Details

Mine is a ramjet setup so the duct work will ride along the rear bulkhead.