Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rchevelle71 View Post
    I never INTENTIONALLY drive my boat in the rain either
    Yea, boating in the rain sucks. We usually just put the cover on and wait it out. After I thought about it I did have one time last year I had to boat back in the rain. The rain set in and it was not clearing off. Last year we got rained on about 8 or 9 times, not a good boating year weather wise.

2. Collapse Details

Here are a few more pictrues of the inner vents. This is very time consuming work, not for the impatiant person. Almost finnished with this part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ram air 013.jpg   ram air 014.jpg   ram air 017.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    Here are a few more pictrues of the inner vents. This is very time consuming work, not for the impatiant person. Almost finnished with this part.
    Jeff , just curious why did you not pull the snaps and mask everything off ?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Jeff , just curious why did you not pull the snaps and mask everything off ?
    Good question, I will be removing the snaps soon. I will need to re gel some of that area anyway so I was not real worried about it. I should have waited till next year for this one, turned into a much bigger project than anticipated. I am going to have some gel color matched to the vents. So the area behind the vent and the new glass will get gel also. I have a lot of wasted time with trial and error I think I am on the right track now.

5. Collapse Details

Good question, I will be removing the snaps soon. I will need to re gel some of that area anyway so I was not real worried about it. I should have waited till next year for this one, turned into a much bigger project than anticipated. I am going to have some gel color matched to the vents. So the area behind the vent and the new glass will get gel also. I have a lot of wasted time with trial and error I think I am on the right track now.
    Jeff , just take your time because it's only the first day of spring and it's not like you will be on the water this month .

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DAREDEVIL View Post
    I hope u get all the air back out quick...........otherwise u will slow yourself down.

Ram air is really not the way to go on a boat. The engine just needs air to suck as much as IT CAN,,,not over pressure the engine compartment.
    I believe this also to be a true statement.. I checked that out when working with NorTech on doing that to my 43..they have actually blocked some of the air out..scoops were to big..and where air exit out could have been made larger. Next boat that Im working on will have some flush mounted inlets somewhere in front before the windscreen that channels down the first step for ariation.. Good luck with your project..

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    I believe this also to be a true statement.. I checked that out when working with NorTech on doing that to my 43..they have actually blocked some of the air out..scoops were to big..and where air exit out could have been made larger. Next boat that Im working on will have some flush mounted inlets somewhere in front before the windscreen that channels down the first step for ariation.. Good luck with your project..
    All of the air from the vents will be forced directly into the TB. I have the Holley MPI kit with the 1000CFM billit TB that uses the standard size carb opening. Specter makes a air box with dual 4" inlets that should work perfect. The bilge will still be vented by the other holes on the back.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    Jeff , just take your time because it's only the first day of spring and it's not like you will be on the water this month .
    Thanks Artie, I have not gone this far with it to just throw it together. I am taking my time and not rushing through it.

9. Collapse Details

Banned
    All of the air from the vents will be forced directly into the TB. I have the Holley MPI kit with the 1000CFM billit TB that uses the standard size carb opening. Specter makes a air box with dual 4" inlets that should work perfect. The bilge will still be vented by the other holes on the back.
    U gonna have WAY to much air going in there !!!!!!!!!!

U will see, learning by doing is just somhow more $$$ then listening to people that done it !!!!!! LOL

10. Collapse Details

Here are the latest pics. I took some of the inside to show the mounting flange for the air ducts and the vents on the back of the boat. The bilge connects to one side and the other draws in the fresh air.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ram air 020.jpg   ram air 021.jpg   ram air 023.jpg  

ram air 024.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You are fine except you do need to make sure you have a system for not getting water in the TB. Either don't go direct to the TB, or build a box as Ted said.

The biggest loss of potential HP comes from the engine room being hot, not from the lack of pressure. However, some compartments do not have enough air for the amount the engines require at WOT.

If I were you, I'd run it without the direct connection to the engine and just try to somewhat have positive pressure in the engine compartment and enough air so ambient outside temperature is maintained.

I think you're on the right track, just would not take the chance of water ingestion into the TB.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    You are fine except you do need to make sure you have a system for not getting water in the TB. Either don't go direct to the TB, or build a box as Ted said.

The biggest loss of potential HP comes from the engine room being hot, not from the lack of pressure. However, some compartments do not have enough air for the amount the engines require at WOT.

If I were you, I'd run it without the direct connection to the engine and just try to somewhat have positive pressure in the engine compartment and enough air so ambient outside temperature is maintained.

I think you're on the right track, just would not take the chance of water ingestion into the TB.....
    Thanks for the input, I run the bilge all the time so that should keep it ventalated. I am going to wait till later in the season to put the air cleaner and ducts in. Way over budget on the projects this winter. I am still thinking about the water protection issue. I will come up with somthing.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Jassman View Post
    Why not try Butler's for your flush mounted inlets and your theory was tried by John Sherlock ,crew chief of the old Don Q Rum on a 40 Skater .

14. Collapse Details

Ok Artie, I removed the snaps and cleaned up the crap off of the glass, I hope that makes you feel better. I should have taped it off, I figured it would come right off because that part still had wax on it. So what do you think about this little project do you think it will be worth the effort? From the amount of labor involved I am not sure if I will be recomending it. Depends if I gain anything HP or fuel economy wise.

15. Collapse Details

Here are the latest pics. I changed the color of the stripe that is in front of the vent. Well now there is no stripe, the vent will be white also. Still needs sanded and buffed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails transom 001.jpg   ram air 028.jpg   ram air 027.jpg  

16. Collapse Details

Here are the latest pics. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ram air 034.jpg   ram air 035.jpg   ram air 036.jpg  

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looking good......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Looking good......
    Thanks, this has been a much bigger job than anticipated. Making the molds was the hardest and most time consuming part. I wound up making them in 2 pieces and attaching them on the boat. Had a job today but I will work on it tomorow and post more pictures.

19. Collapse Details

I have a couple of pics of the vents, I have been waiting on supplies from US. Should be able to work on them this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ram air 036.jpg   ram air 038.jpg  

20. Collapse Details

Banned
    I have a couple of pics of the vents, I have been waiting on supplies from US. Should be able to work on them this weekend.
    Looks good, but i bet it will slow the boat down !!!! TOOOO MUCH DRAG !!!!