Thread: Times are tough

1. Collapse Details
    Times are tough
    Times are tough even for the biggest and best managed sites. This is from ClickOnDetroit.com.

Gold Cup Races Struggle To Stay Afloat
    Event Accepting Donations, Sponsors

POSTED: Monday, March 8, 2010
    UPDATED: 7:49 pm EST March 8, 2010

DETROIT -- Lack of sponsorship is threatening to turn an annual Detroit tradition into history.

Watch: Gold Cup Race Organizers Asking For Donations

Every summer, the Gold Cup races put on a spectacular show with their roar and rooster tails from unlimited hydroplanes on the Detroit River.

Yet, the event's director, Mark Weber of the Detroit River Regatta Association, said the future of the races remains to be seen because he's struggling to find a replacement sponsor after Chrysler-Jeep Superstores ended their sponsorship last year.

"They can't obviously afford it or justify it right now because of the economic situation," Weber said.

The association is asking for lower-priced sponsporship and asking individual donors to help.

"We're asking 100 people to give $1,000 to make sure we continue this event," Weber said.

Weber said the plea is more than money -- it's about saving a long and cherished summer staple.

"It's important to me. It gets more emotional for me because this is Detroit. It's like not having the Indianapolis 500 in Indy or, not having the Daytona 500 in Daytona," he said.

Weber himself has been a pilot in the Gold Cup races, and is currently restoring an old wooden racing boat that was previously owned by his father and grandfather.

The races are tentatively scheduled for June 25 - 27, but event organizers said they must decide by mid-April whether the boats will be able to cross the finish line.

If the races are not held, all money paid for tickets and sponsorships will be refunded.

Anyone interested in donating to the cause can contact the Detroit Rive Regatta Association at 586-774-0980, or www.gold-cup.com.

2. Collapse Details

I never understood why they dodnt have offshore racing along with the hydro's
    Offshore sat, hydros sunday kind of thing

3. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor mikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Welfare Racing View Post
    I never understood why they dodnt have offshore racing along with the hydro's
    Offshore sat, hydros sunday kind of thing
    With the help of Mark and Tony Marcantonio (JD BYRIDER) we have been racing there for the past three years. In face for two of three years the offshore boats saved the say. It was to rough for the Hydros so the big boys went out and had a great time. The plan is to there again this year but I know its going to be tough. Even Dean came out to play last year!!!!!

Mikey
    Miss Geico Racing # 113

4. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Maybe their is a trade off here,,,we help them (race) and OPA gets the teams registrations covered..?? just a thought.. Times are tough for all,no,,,
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

5. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    It is the event in Whole that is in jeopardy, Chrysler Jeep was their primary Sponsor, and has had to bail! they need a sponsor for the event.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

6. Collapse Details

Running a OPA event in conjunction with the Hydroplane races would not only save this event it would bring it to the next level.

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TR View Post
    Running a OPA event in conjunction with the Hydroplane races would not only save this event it would bring it to the next level.
    and WHO is paying for it all??????

This is the GOLD CUP! and while the offshore boats have helped when the weather made conditions too rough for the hydros, their laps were NOT
    full throttle racing and was a exhibtion for the entertainment and exposure to offshore for the fans.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's Offshore raced the same weekend, but they did thiers on friday, making 2 passes up and down the river before heading out into lake St Clair.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    and WHO is paying for it all??????

This is the GOLD CUP! and while the offshore boats have helped when the weather made conditions too rough for the hydros, their laps were NOT
    full throttle racing and was a exhibtion for the entertainment and exposure to offshore for the fans.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's Offshore raced the same weekend, but they did thiers on friday, making 2 passes up and down the river before heading out into lake St Clair.
    The same people who pay for it now, event sponsors. More boats, more racing and more people may help draw more sponsors to help pay for this event.

9. Collapse Details

Funny, we were just reaching out to Mark Weber to disscuss this, however, Mark's Grandmother recently passed away. So he is a little busy right now with family. My condolences. Smitty
    Wazzup Racing Engines
    OPA Racing

10. Collapse Details

Good idea Smitty! This event is the biggest powerboat event in the US. Over 100 yrs of racing and I must say the best run I have ever been at. It would also being Offshore back to one of the US' largest markets. It would be a win win for all involved.