Thread: Duck Key

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Duck Key
    E Dock
    A buddy of mine and his family are headed to Duck Key for spring break, I told him I would ask for suggestions on places to see, do, eat etc.

2. Collapse Details

Hawks Kay Resort has a great bar Tom's it's called. We always go there when the kids have off from school and hook the Mut right in front of it.

Couple good seafood places heading toward Marathon on Route 1 also.

The pools at Hawks Kay are great also pick one of the five that is not in the wind!

If they have a boat on a calm day they can go to Coffins Patch http://www.divespots.com/scuba/spotID-91/view.divespot for snorkeling it's about 5 miles offshore and there are anchor spots.
    Last edited by glh; 03-08-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=67&dateline=1262460498

3. Collapse Details

Head back North towards Islamorada and stop at Robbies and feed the tarpons. Great fun for a couple of bucks. Kids love it. They also do Kayak trips that are great. Water might be a bit chilly this time of year however

http://www.robbies.com/

4. Collapse Details

The weather just warmed up again down here so they should have a good time. If it is windy they can always go in the back country for boating. Duck Key is a few miles north of Marathon ( way North of me) and Brooks on here(Key Colony Beach) would know a lot more family stuff to do. If they make it to KW I can help !. Ramrod key has mini golf, and there are plenty of charter/party boats all along the Keys (Party/Head boats are cheaper alternatives to charter boats and still have fun fishing or lounging in the sun.
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

It depends if they have kids and what they like to do and how far they can or will travel.
    If they are going to Duck Key I'm assuming they are staying at Hawks Cay and Greg's right they have a great bar/restaurant right off the docks. They have charter boats out front, bay or ocean fishing, snorkeling scuba or parasailing also jet ski rental.
    Marathon has some good spots to eat, Island bar, Franks, Barracudas, Castaways, Butter Fly cafe, Key Colony Beach has a couple too, Cabana Breezes, Key colony inn and Sparkys landing, Also Grassy Key has Mike Hide Away at the Rainbow Bend resort.

Hawk Cay and The Dolphin research center(Grassy Key) have programs to swim with the Dolphins.

The beach at Bahia Honda State park has a great beach and is just over the 7 mile bridge, I think they have kite surfing there.

There is stuff to do just need more input to steer them right
    Run until it sounds expensive

6. Collapse Details

I will be in Boot Key on the 27 th.Will have a 25 ft center console whats around there by boat?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Expensive Date View Post
    I will be in Boot Key on the 27 th.Will have a 25 ft center console whats around there by boat?
    Island Bar in Marathon gulf side, Tom's Bar Duck Key, Phat Boys by the 7 mile bridge, Castaways and Sombrero Marina and Dockside Lounge in the Harbor Marathon

8. Collapse Details

Thanks, Will you be down there that week?

9. Collapse Details

Don't forget the Brass Monkey (tooth's are optional!)
    Parabellum FJ²B

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    Hawk Cay and The Dolphin research center(Grassy Key) have programs to swim with the Dolphins.
    I've heard that rumor as well but it's all false and any and all pics from there are photoshopped with 20lbs added...

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandMark View Post
    I've heard that rumor as well but it's all false and any and all pics from there are photoshopped with 20lbs added...

Nice try Mark......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    Marathon has some good spots to eat, Island bar, Franks, Barracudas, Castaways, Butter Fly cafe, Key Colony Beach has a couple too, Cabana Breezes, Key colony inn and Sparkys landing, Also Grassy Key has Mike Hide Away at the Rainbow Bend resort.
    You always leave out Bentley's. Has it gone downhill? They've always had the best seafood on the planet......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    You always leave out Bentley's. Has it gone downhill? They've always had the best seafood on the planet......
    I think they have and it's 30 miles for us also the wait is normally an hour plus

14. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Keys Fisheries gulfside for stone crabs or their lobster reuben, and a GREAT new restaurant ocean side at the end of town before you get to 7 mi. bridge is LAZY DAYS II, great sunset location........ the original Lazy Days is in Islamorada.
    Sombrero Beach is very nice this year.
    If you walk the old 7 mile bridge (the walkable section is actually 2.2 mi.), you can see sharks, turtles, stingrays, etc etc.......and it's FREE
    Marathon seafood festival is this weekend if they are here then.
    Enjoy it all.........
    PD

15. Collapse Details

Now I feel really bad forgetting Pat D !!! How is your Iguana problem ?
    Parabellum FJ²B

16. Collapse Details

I sh!t so much while in Key West a few years ago I made a new key. Doo Key. Other than that, I'm no help.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Now I feel really bad forgetting Pat D !!! How is your Iguana problem ?
    2 month cold weather + Iquanas = problem fixed

18. Collapse Details

Competitor
    ...that is how he did look for a few weeks, when it got down to 39 at one point

but, no problem now....as you can see, he is out of the coma and back to normal..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lizards, josh swing set, winter coat 005.jpg  
    Last edited by Pat D; 03-10-2010 at 09:53 AM.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pat D View Post
    Keys Fisheries gulfside for stone crabs or their lobster reuben,
    Exactly! We are flying into Orlando this weekend for an unexpected funeral. My wife and I are trying to figure out how to get away from the family for a day so we can spend 12 hours round trip to drive down to Marathon to get a lobster reuben. Love that place!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Caincando1 View Post
    Exactly! We are flying into Orlando this weekend for an unexpected funeral. My wife and I are trying to figure out how to get away from the family for a day so we can spend 12 hours round trip to drive down to Marathon to get a lobster reuben. Love that place!
    Put another 50 miles on the clock & hit Salsa Loca in Key West for some good Messican food. 2 friends for the best rum-runners & the Westin for a green thing & the Pie Factory for dessert.