Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
  1. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Im gonna try and upload the dyno video files. Sorry it took so long!
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

2. Collapse Details

My "few touchup jobs" kept me at the shop until 11:00 PM last night, but:

Tonight we run!

Those of you with astute memories will note that we got the boat completely re-rigged and the engine installed quicker than ILMORDude could edit a dyno video.....
    Boating Seriously

3. Collapse Details

Ouch !
    Parabellum FJ²B

4. Collapse Details

Sponsor / Charter Member ILMORdude's Avatar
    Since I couldnt post it on the other forum where you blasted me, ill post your new driver suit pic on SOS!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C_Spray.gif  
    ILMOR High Performance Marine
    570-725 hp V-10 Indy Packages now available....even Racers Packages now!! PM me for details!! Ilmor.com

5. Collapse Details

@*% SHA - ZZZZAAAAM!!

%#@ Ka - POOWWWW!! *($#*

$%@Wham - O!! @$%!

%@&# Zang!!! &#*

Freakin' rocketship.

If you roll into the throttle hard at 60, the numbers roll up so fast on the GPS that your eyes can't register anything until around 88. Even then, they're just a blur.

We've still got air in the hydraulics, both steering and trim. It was passing through 5400 rpm when it started hopping and we shut it down. The GPS tell-tale now reads....

Screwed up with the GoPro, so we only have this still of the start of the run instead of video. The roostertail was.... "significant".

I am a VERY HAPPY CAMPER.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GOPR0109 (Large).jpg  
    Boating Seriously

6. Collapse Details

All set for Smith Mountain Lake - SEE YOU THERE!
    Boating Seriously

7. Collapse Details

Awesome project. Thanks for documenting it for us.

8. Collapse Details

We had a problem-free weekend at Smith Mountain Lake. A very-well run and super-friendly poker run. This thing just ran like a train all day, and used very little gas. Impressive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20100522_SML.jpg  
    Boating Seriously

9. Collapse Details

We never got rid of the 100 mph hop, but we had no other props to test. The 2" and 1" spacers are not the way to go; they just kill speed.

The boat ran like a freight train all weekend:

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL - FAULTLESS!!!

Heartfelt thanks go to the folks who really made this happen:

1.R'Addiction, for his unwavering friendship, great help and (most importantly) moral support and motivation. There's no way this would have happened without you, John.
    2.Ilmor High Performance, for an awesome package and amazing customer support. When I called them at 8:00 PM on Sunday night, they answered. They also called me back at 7:00 AM on Monday morning to give me the rest of the answers to my questions. Never, ever doubt this company's motivation.
    3.GlassDave Sikorski, for stepping up to the bat on a tricky project. (And even working the weekend...)
    4.Old School, for loaning me some expensive props, no questions asked.
    5.Bobby Moore, for the incredible amount of knowledge and advice he is willing to share.
    6.Brownie, for being like Bobby, but even funnier.
    7.The online supporters who kept me going.
    8.MobilMercMan, for a quiet word in my ear that saved me a LOT of trouble.
    9.JRapp, for pitching in every time he came by and for being a huge help at (and documenting) the first test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bat 1_Crop.jpg   IMG_0783_Crop.jpg   IMG_0785_Crop.jpg  

Boating Seriously

10. Collapse Details

I came up with another prop to test, courtesy of Bobby Moore. It's a 15.5 x 29 five-blade versus the 16.5 x 29 four-blade I've been running. It should have 3 degrees more rake as well. I hate to change more than one thing at a time when testing (in this case, it's four things...), but this is all that's available right now. I'm going to try it with the 1" spacer, since it's still installed, then try it a zero propshaft height. It may or may not be better, but it's bound to be different!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20100602_5BladeFace.jpg   20100602_5BladeS.jpg  
    Boating Seriously

11. Collapse Details

Humph. Didn't like that prop at all. Too much pitch for the engine to rev up, and not enough diameter to hold on once things started to pick up. In the 80's both with and without a 1" spacer.

....On the other hand, the engine looks great now that we peeled the protective plastic sofa covers off of it. (Just for you, Craig....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020512.jpg   P1020513.jpg  
    Boating Seriously

12. Collapse Details

We'll be at the Northern Chesapeake Poker Run this weekend if anyone would like to check out the engine or drive. The run starts from Tome's Landing Marina in Port Deposit MD with a lunch stop at the River Watch on Middle River. It's a nice run for those who might be interested...
    Boating Seriously

13. Collapse Details

when are you going to be out there, i'd love to check it out. i think we'll be out on the water friday at around noonish till whenever.

14. Collapse Details

The prop arrived from Hering - amazing workmanship. We expect to be down at Tome's Landing around 2 or 3 this afternoon and do some testing.

Ilmor is sending me some brochures to pass out to those who might be interested in the package or one of their engines.

Hope to see you there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20100617_HeringB.jpg  
    Boating Seriously

15. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
    The prop arrived from Hering - amazing workmanship. We expect to be down at Tome's Landing around 2 or 3 this afternoon and do some testing.
    Looks like another work of art. What are the specs on the new prop?

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post

Ilmor is sending me some brochures to pass out to those who might be interested in the package or one of their engines.

Hope to see you there!
    What is the advantage of the counter rotating drive? Same rotation as the engine??
    "Women want everything in one man, men want one thing in every woman"

17. Collapse Details

Andrew, the prop is 16.5" diameter, 29" pitch, 18 degrees rake. This was the original estimated spec that I worked out with Hering, and it seemed to work well on the Bay, although it was so choppy over the weekend that I was unable to tell whether or not that additional rake provides the bow lift and stability that we are looking for. I'll probably re-test it back-to-back with the four-blade 14 degree prop at our local lake in the next week or so.

NASCAT, I went with left-hand rotation, as the consensus from a number of people was that single-engine boats tend to run "a bit" better that way, although no one has any idea why that might be true. Frankly, I can't see as to why it would matter, unless it has to do with better handling in left-hand turns, which most race courses are...

Anyway -We had a blast at the Northern Chesapeake Poker Run on Saturday, and ran the boat moderately hard with no problems (other than heat in the cockpit in the No-Wake zones...). The Bay was pretty choppy, bordering on rough, and I mis-throttled the boat badly on a couple of occasions without any drive problems.
    Boating Seriously

18. Collapse Details

Even though you are still fine tuning sounds like you are getting good relaible use out of your do it yourself complete repower / rerig project & that is impressive.

Thanks Again for Sharing!
    "Women want everything in one man, men want one thing in every woman"

19. Collapse Details

Reliable is exactly the word.

After two Poker runs, I've had ZERO problems or issues with the engine and drivetrain. I'm as impressed as ever with Ilmor's work. I even put their new logo on the boat... We ran the new Hering at last weekend's Northern Chesapeake Poker Run, and it seems to be better, but the water was so much rougher than the local lake, it's hard to tell. We're going out on Blue Marsh Lake tonight and do a back-to-back test the Hering versus the original 4-blade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1020524.jpg   P1020526.jpg   P1020528.jpg  

Boating Seriously