1. Collapse Details
    Replacing Dex-Cool in a 496MAG
    My 496MAG is a September 2003 vintage motor. I'm thinking it is time to drain and refill the Dex-Cool coolant. What is the proper way to do this? I'm mainly concerned with inadvertently air locking the system. Thanks!

2. Collapse Details

My 2001 2500hd truck I just traded in had 143k on it and the original Dex-Cool in it. It had the 8.1/496 and about 5500hrs on it. I doubt I would even bother changing it in a boat. Dex Cool does say 5 yrs or 150k though for the best corrosion protection.

If you do change it just drain and refill. Then run the engine and continue adding coolant. Any air will cycle through the system and it will self bleed out any air pockets.

3. Collapse Details

I wouldnt refill with dex cool. I would recomend using Shell ELC coolant. It works better yet & it also has more lubricity to it. J / Lakeside

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeside View Post
    I wouldnt refill with dex cool. I would recomend using Shell ELC coolant. It works better yet & it also has more lubricity to it. J / Lakeside
    Any tricks to refill?

5. Collapse Details

When I looked into changing the wife's car back to green stuff, everyone said to FLUSH the old out REAL well. Do not let the 2 mix. I guess Peaak or Prestone even makes an acid flush additive that was suggested to run in between the two. Knowing the care I have always given my wife's Grand Prix, I decide to get rid of the DexCool. One season had it looking like pudding, come spring I am going to flush, flush, flush then go to green stuff. BTW the head and intake gaskets are still intact in her car (or so it seems)

6. Collapse Details

That's why I use the ELC style pink/red antifreeze.. It works better than the dex cool or the ol' green stuff.

You need to fill it slowly & make sure you burp all of the air out.. .. J