Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Murf View Post
    Shakennotstirred, that is a tight fit, but it looks damn good. I love my 28, but I would like to have twins someday. (engines that is) I really do like the look of your 38. For now, I will just have to enjoy my single 28.
    Murf, Enjoy the single engine boat for its economical properties that is what I miss. Twins are great in all aspects except that one. I started in 1978 with a 17 and moved up to the 38 my 4th boat so it was a long road to get to where I'm now at. Thanks for the compliments on our Avenger it means alot.

2. Collapse Details

Shaken, I agree. I do enjoy the single engine when it comes time for a tune up, oil change, winterizing all the fun stuff that goes along with boating. I am on my 3rd boat. 1st was a 16' ski centurian, then a 27' Avanti. The Avanti was a 1987. It needed a lot of work. I repowered it, changed the drive from a TRS to a Bravo. Then I started the cosmetic work. It just never ended, once I got one thing done, it was something else. The last thing I done was a vynle wrap. The guy screwed me and I finally gave up. The wrap looked good from a distance, but up close, it looked like crap. I came across the PQ and couldn't say no. Here's a couple of pics of my old Avanti with the wrap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Avanti 1034.jpg   Phone 158.jpg  

3. Collapse Details

Pictures of my 257
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2236.JPG   DSCF2309.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

pq man,
    that's a nice PQ. What year is it? Is that the original paint job? I never seen one that color. Any pics of the interior or engine?

5. Collapse Details

Its a 95 the hull is black and used to have a pink swish down the side. last fall I had Mitcher T put the graphics on it I will try and post more pics thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2234.jpg   DSCF2241.jpg   DSCF2294.jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Engine shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2282.jpg   DSCF2288.JPG   DSCF2287.jpg  

7. Collapse Details

pq man,
    That's a great looking boat, it looks brand new, I can't beleive it's a 95. What kind of speed do you get with it?

8. Collapse Details

The best I could get is 55 on gps half tank of gas and a couple of people.Its not the fastest but a very nice reliable boat thanks for the complimants.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pq man View Post
    Its a 95 the hull is black and used to have a pink swish down the side. last fall I had Mitcher T put the graphics on it I will try and post more pics thanks.
    HOLY COW!!!!! thats clean!!!!

10. Collapse Details

Hey boatnt where ya been? how ya been?

11. Collapse Details

Heres a crappy pic of my old 90 Powerplay 230 conquest. Hard to see but it says Powerplay on the sides and dash and Powerquest on the transom and seat backs. This was the first boat the used alot of black gel on. They didn't want to do it but I told Kevin, no black, no sale.
    Started as a 52mph 330/bravo. Ended up as a 68mph 540 before I sold it. Might have been the most solid boat ever built. 1400 hrs of pounding the crap out of it and not one tiny stress crack anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails powerplay.jpg  

12. Collapse Details

Where it all started. November 24 1977 Reeds lake in Grand Rapids Michigan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cigarette boats 057.jpg   Cigarette boats 058.jpg   Cigarette boats 059.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by pq man View Post
    Engine shot.
    Holy crap that is one clean engine/bilge!!!! I've seen new bilges that were not that clean.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tommymonza View Post
    Where it all started. November 24 1977 Reeds lake in Grand Rapids Michigan
    So....please explain to a novice the difference between PowerPlay and Power Quest. Spin-off companies?

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by HMBB View Post
    So....please explain to a novice the difference between PowerPlay and Power Quest. Spin-off companies?
    2 different companys.
    Powerplay was out of florida and Powerquest is out of Michigan,when Powerquest 1st came out they were going under Powerplay,then the original Powerplay out Florida took legal action against them and they changed to Powerquest,
    that was around 1990,thats why those Powerquest year models had both names on them,Powerquest on the transom and Powerplay on the sides,then around 91/92 they went to Powerquest.

Powerplay out of florida went under a couple of years ago,hopefully Powerquest will start building some boats soon.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boatnt View Post
    2 different companys.
    Powerplay was out of florida and Powerquest is out of Michigan,when Powerquest 1st came out they were going under Powerplay,then the original Powerplay out Florida took legal action against them and they changed to Powerquest,
    that was around 1990,thats why those Powerquest year models had both names on them,Powerquest on the transom and Powerplay on the sides,then around 91/92 they went to Powerquest.

Powerplay out of florida went under a couple of years ago,hopefully Powerquest will start building some boats soon.
    boatnt,
    Thanks for that explaination. I never understood why some models had both names.

Any thing new at the PQ factory? Will they be making boats any time soon. Has any one been out at the factory lately?

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by boatnt View Post
    2 different companys.

Thanks Boatnt,
    There is always hope...Maybe this spring they will finally release some news!

18. Collapse Details

Here is my last boat...340 Vyper. Good memories and great times in this boat! AT took her on trade and I'm told she ended up in Canada. Anybody seen her?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PQ340.Little Creek1.jpg  
    Hampton Roads Powerboat Association

19. Collapse Details

It's winter so some additional obscure history from the good ole days when the name change thing was going on ... If you look at the Power Play logo like in my pic the word is split into two words "Power Play" this is correct. The Company that started in Florida that filed the suit, was called Powerplay (one word). It does get confusing because even people who own pre 90 Power Plays still spell it out as one word.

The company in Florida (Powerplay Marine) was actually started years after the Power Play Boats Inc. of Holland, Mi., right around 88'. The Holland PP started in 83' .The Florida owner was Dan Weinstein, a "colorful" character, by many counts, who used a Cobra 32 mold to start his co. The Cobra 32became his Poweplay 33. The lines go back through the Cobra/Formula/Magnum linage.A Great Boat.

So.. he gets word a small builder up North in a pole barn is using his name and files. It lasted a few years with many concerns about the spacing between the word Power Play. Even though his co. was formed after the Holland, Mi Co. he kept on with it. He was using the argument that he had used the name PowerPlay (long before he formed his company) on the side of his APBA raceboat. Think it was a Cougar around 93'.

As is common with these things Power Play of Holland had enough as the lawyers were the only ones profiting and agreed to phase out of PP to PQ. Think it was about a 2yr phase out. End of Obscure Info.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xltside.JPG  

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Woogie View Post
    It's winter so some additional obscure history from the good ole days when the name change thing was going on ... If you look at the Power Play logo like in my pic the word is split into two words "Power Play" this is correct. The Company that started in Florida that filed the suit, was called Powerplay (one word). It does get confusing because even people who own pre 90 Power Plays still spell it out as one word.

The company in Florida (Powerplay Marine) was actually started years after the Power Play Boats Inc. of Holland, Mi., right around 88'. The Holland PP started in 83' .The Florida owner was Dan Weinstein, a "colorful" character, by many counts, who used a Cobra 32 mold to start his co. The Cobra 32became his Poweplay 33. The lines go back through the Cobra/Formula/Magnum linage.A Great Boat.

So.. he gets word a small builder up North in a pole barn is using his name and files. It lasted a few years with many concerns about the spacing between the word Power Play. Even though his co. was formed after the Holland, Mi Co. he kept on with it. He was using the argument that he had used the name PowerPlay (long before he formed his company) on the side of his APBA raceboat. Think it was a Cougar around 93'.

As is common with these things Power Play of Holland had enough as the lawyers were the only ones profiting and agreed to phase out of PP to PQ. Think it was about a 2yr phase out. End of Obscure Info.

Thats a bit of interesting history, thanks for the info.