Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloKat View Post
    My understanding is that they do. I can tell you to get a kilo course sanctioned by the APBA is both time consuming and very costly. I had one approved for LOTO and it was a task I wouldn't assume again. First contacted a certified surveyor whose name was provided by somone at Missouri's state capital; then paid him to survey a sanctioned kilo course per APBA's written instructions. It took him countless days to survey, drive his metal pins in the rock bed, draw up a plat of the course and then submit it to APBA for approval. And, this was just to get a course approved. The cost to actually hold a sanctioned event only goes up from there ...

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Agreed....There have a been a number of extensively surveyed courses using the APBA/UIM procedures including Norristown PA, Guntersville Al, and others. As a matter of fact I think Sarasota was surveyed ....by the APBA...... in past years. The APBA/UIM also insisted that closed circle courses be surveyed to establish competition records for both heat races and multi hour marathons. Up until the break up of the sanctioning bodies this all was taken very seriously and you could bet on the accuracy of the records. Today I'm afraid there have been records set on courses that are little more than the result of putting a timimg light "over here" and another one "over there".....

If I were the Phenomenon team I would attempt to set any records only on an APBA-UIM approved course, to avoid any questions in anyone's mind. All Of Al Copeland Senior's previous speed marks were set that way.

T2x
    Thanks so much fellas! Great info.

2. Collapse Details

registered
    Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Thank you,

T2x
    391. You win.

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    391. You win.

Okay...I am changing my signature to reflect this.

Please note: This is not to be confused with any other "Exagerated" records currently recognized.

T2x

4. Collapse Details

registered
    Beautiful. Not bad for a small, twin outboard cat.
    Similarly, I believe I have the fastest stock-powered, no-step resin bucket. I regularly see GPS speeds of 140-150mph. Garmin don't lie.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    391. You win.
    Max speed.... 1292 Mph.... I win.. where do I get my trophy?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yellow 005 (Medium) (Medium).jpg  

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    Spoke to Scott Barnhart of Copeland's Phenomenon yesterday, http://www.boats.com/boat-content/20...for-new-props/.

Without question, this project is getting a lot of coverage. But even if it doesn't succeed in breaking the propeller-driven water-speed record (and honestly, I wouldn't know how to bet on this one), it's sure is fun to look at.
    I just read this post and will add my stories: I hold two official UIM world kilo records with Tom Gentry both in 1994. One was set in Vilejo Calif. in a 42` super V Scarab with triple Gentry turbo. motors: average speed two way run in measured documented kilo was 126.38 mph. The other record was set in Coronado bay, San Diego was in the 40` Skater UIM class 1 with an average speed of 157.428 mph. The UIM gave us official hand painted certificates that have all record holder names written around the edge, as well as a picture of the boat running. If you have never seen one of these certificates it is to bad as they are works of art, and very pretigious in that they recognize you as actually being certified as the fastest in the world.I wish Scott and Al jr. all the best, Scott was my crew chief when racing with Don Johnson team USA, and Al jr. was in the rear seat when I won the APBA US1 championship with Al sr. in 1988. Brownie is correct with the Kiekhaefer timming equip. surveying of the course etc. I will ad that there had to be officials from UIM and APBA to certify the records, I think we had a credible guy from APBA by the name of Bob Teague, so if any body was in doubt, they could take it up with Bob. Finally there is no other feeling in the world than going into the unknown and conquering it, and to be the only ones in the world to do so. Deepest regards to all who have been there, it`s an elite group to say the least, and remember the fastest in the entire world recorded. I have many hair raising stories about setting up and testing to set world speed records. In 1994 we were prepared to set the world super boat record in the same UIM class 1 skater: we had tested the boat at speeds over 180 mph. This all done in 1994, before dry sump drives etc. as I said many stories.

7. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    Can I ask,, do All the world record holders in the past 5 years ,that ran under apba/uim have these hand painted certificates,??? I,v seen some kilos run and records broke,,but haven,t seen none of them ,,??? I haven,t seen any new kilo records in the apba record book for some time now..?? Am i looking in the wrong place,?
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

8. Collapse Details

Richie (7XChamp) Tell More, Allot of people on here wouldn't know anything about those times without the stories from the Icons Maybe you and Brownie and T2x etc should collaborate on a book.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FastDonzi View Post
    Richie (7XChamp) Tell More, Allot of people on here wouldn't know anything about those times without the stories from the Icons Maybe you and Brownie and T2x etc should collaborate on a book.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    Can I ask,, do All the world record holders in the past 5 years ,that ran under apba/uim have these hand painted certificates,??? I,v seen some kilos run and records broke,,but haven,t seen none of them ,,??? I haven,t seen any new kilo records in the apba record book for some time now..?? Am i looking in the wrong place,?
    other than Crecent City AMF (2006). I'm not aware of any other UIM certified runs for offshore. Anybody? unless the fee was paid to UIM they were not certified. Not to say they are not real. I know Popra did the last real "timing light runs" in the Salton Sea but unfortunatly political games let a lot of hard work struggle to be recognized by the world boat racing comunity.
    Miss GEICO

Boost won't save you.

11. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    In my opinion, if an organizatiion makes a 5 year deal to be officially sanctioned by the APBA/UIM and fails to live up to the Contract and /or not make the agreed payments to the APBA/UIM, I would think any records would be null and void. Receiving an embroided jacket stating Record Holder or Hall of Champion I would not think constitutes the "Official" record being documented into the APBA/UIM records. Hopefully this is not the case and people that think they achieved records will receive the same certificates as 7xchamp.

This appears to be how it is officially done:

Quote Originally Posted by 7xchamp
    The UIM gave us official hand painted certificates that have all record holder names written around the edge, as well as a picture of the boat running. If you have never seen one of these certificates it is to bad as they are works of art, and very pretigious in that they recognize you as actually being certified as the fastest in the world.

7xchamp,

Congrats on all of your official accomplishments and hard work that went into doing it right.

Welcome to Serious Offshore.

12. Collapse Details

Anglo and myself used to spy on Richie's race operation down the street from our rigging shop, Way Cool light years ahead of anyone in those days,I will put it this way, he was the one to emulate period!
    Slippery when wet. PODLESS TUNNEL www.cheetahcat.com ,Repairs, Modifications and Truing Cheap reliable speed.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    other than Crecent City AMF (2006). I'm not aware of any other UIM certified runs for offshore. Anybody? unless the fee was paid to UIM they were not certified. Not to say they are not real. I know Popra did the last real "timing light runs" in the Salton Sea but unfortunatly political games let a lot of hard work struggle to be recognized by the world boat racing comunity.
    Just to clarify: When Tom Gentry wanted to set the World records, he went to the ultimate governing body which was UIM. He had to have permission and sanction granted by the national body which was APBA, that`s the way it always worked when we were racing back in the day. I have won four UIM world titles, all back to back, and at the time those were considered the real world championships, as you raced in all different countries, against the best in the world, and in there home waters, Sorry of the subject!!!!!!! When we did the Kilo runs, Tom Gentry paid for everything out of his own pocket, and I would say that at the time 1994 the cost was close to $150,000 all said and done, he had to pay for all the UIM representatives and officials to come to America, as well as all APBA fee`s and officials expense and UIM fee`s etc. It was very costly, but that`s what it took at the time to accomplish what we did. One great thing that Gentry did , was to make sure that everyone knew when and where the runs were going to take place, and he made a point of inviting anyone who wanted to contend for the record, several people took advantage to set world records, Nigel Hook for one, and did set a record, and also crashed on one of his first attempts, along with Craig Archer. As for the Certiicates, I believe those were part of the package, and the certificate of recognition for the record. Another note, is that the boat had to have been a qualified legal race boat that competed on the national cercuit, and finished amongst the top three in class in at least three races. At the time same rule applied to be eligible to run in the world championships, which used to be staged around the world in different countries, in the three race series format, I ran in four of those, Mar Del Plata, Buenos Aires. Venice Italy, Melbourne Australia, and Key West. In the day when I raced the UIM circuit we used to run approx. 15 to twenty races in the season, all races were required to be minimum length of 185 Nautical miles, which meant they were usually 220 statute miles. We raced for three separate titles, European championship, Italian Championship, and South American championships, as well as the biggie UIM, all open class. Many times we would race ie: Italy to Croatia on Sat. for UIM with our best boat, then race back same course in second boat for Italian and European championship points, so roughly 440 miles on a weekend, in two separate boats, then race again in another country the next weekend. I generally worked three to four months straight without a day off, It was gruelling, and we raced in the open oceans of the world, many times out of site of land for hours. Again sorry for getting of the subject. Tom Gentry was one of the greatest people in the world with everything in life, and his racing endeavors were always first class, I miss him desperatly.

14. Collapse Details
    SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Thumbs up
    and that folks, is all we are left to dream about ! 7xchamp, that is simply incredible. I do not think many had any idea. Including myself...
    Congrats once again !!!

15. Collapse Details

keep the stories coming!

16. Collapse Details

Tom Gentry was cool....

17. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor RACESDAD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7xchamp View Post
    Just to clarify: When Tom Gentry wanted to set the World records, he went to the ultimate governing body which was UIM. He had to have permission and sanction granted by the national body which was APBA, that`s the way it always worked when we were racing back in the day. I have won four UIM world titles, all back to back, and at the time those were considered the real world championships, as you raced in all different countries, against the best in the world, and in there home waters, Sorry of the subject!!!!!!! When we did the Kilo runs, Tom Gentry paid for everything out of his own pocket, and I would say that at the time 1994 the cost was close to $150,000 all said and done, he had to pay for all the UIM representatives and officials to come to America, as well as all APBA fee`s and officials expense and UIM fee`s etc. It was very costly, but that`s what it took at the time to accomplish what we did. One great thing that Gentry did , was to make sure that everyone knew when and where the runs were going to take place, and he made a point of inviting anyone who wanted to contend for the record, several people took advantage to set world records, Nigel Hook for one, and did set a record, and also crashed on one of his first attempts, along with Craig Archer. As for the Certiicates, I believe those were part of the package, and the certificate of recognition for the record. Another note, is that the boat had to have been a qualified legal race boat that competed on the national cercuit, and finished amongst the top three in class in at least three races. At the time same rule applied to be eligible to run in the world championships, which used to be staged around the world in different countries, in the three race series format, I ran in four of those, Mar Del Plata, Buenos Aires. Venice Italy, Melbourne Australia, and Key West. In the day when I raced the UIM circuit we used to run approx. 15 to twenty races in the season, all races were required to be minimum length of 185 Nautical miles, which meant they were usually 220 statute miles. We raced for three separate titles, European championship, Italian Championship, and South American championships, as well as the biggie UIM, all open class. Many times we would race ie: Italy to Croatia on Sat. for UIM with our best boat, then race back same course in second boat for Italian and European championship points, so roughly 440 miles on a weekend, in two separate boats, then race again in another country the next weekend. I generally worked three to four months straight without a day off, It was gruelling, and we raced in the open oceans of the world, many times out of site of land for hours. Again sorry for getting of the subject. Tom Gentry was one of the greatest people in the world with everything in life, and his racing endeavors were always first class, I miss him desperatly.
    We will never see those great times again. Growing up in the 70's and 80's and reading about all these great guys then getting to race near them or better yet with some of them. YOU GUYS ROCK
    rest in peace Tom. Mark , and all the others who left too soon

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Pismo10 View Post
    Tom Gentry was cool....
    He was cool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beavis_and_Butt-head.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imco offshore View Post
    I believe...and I may be wrong...that the only UIM recognized record classes are those designated as "National" Classes, therefore local classes would not be eligible. That having been said, I am unsure what, if any, classes are currently designated as National or local and/or eligible for records......... Maybe the lack of records recently has something to do with the fact that the classes are too plentiful and undefined.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

20. Collapse Details

I wondered if they considered this location also -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa2Hq0WjHic