Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Phenomenon Update—New Props Coming
    Spoke to Scott Barnhart of Copeland's Phenomenon yesterday, http://www.boats.com/boat-content/20...for-new-props/.

Without question, this project is getting a lot of coverage. But even if it doesn't succeed in breaking the propeller-driven water-speed record (and honestly, I wouldn't know how to bet on this one), it's sure is fun to look at.

2. Collapse Details

registered
    Good stuff. I love looking at that boat. We're anxiously awaiting the Kilos and the results. Best of luck to them.

So, I wonder what would cause a 1-inch ding on all four of the props. Set-up?

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
    Good stuff. I love looking at that boat. We're anxiously awaiting the Kilos and the results. Best of luck to them.

prop shafts/mounting flexing ???? could they be touching while throttling up????

4. Collapse Details

registered
    That was my first thought too - high load induced deflection. Interesting.

5. Collapse Details

Competitor / Charter Member imco offshore's Avatar
    I thought they were stagered ??
    IMCO #10- 2009 National Champions

6. Collapse Details

You'd think they would know better than to leave the swim ladder down....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

7. Collapse Details

I don't know 150mph is fast but they need 85mph more hope they do it looks like a huge effort!

8. Collapse Details

Worldwide - Blue Martini Hall of Fame - Your sisters house
    I hope they do it, but 85 mph is not something you're getting out of props. Maybe another 20 or 30,000 hp. Give or take

9. Collapse Details

Can't they just pick a new set up at West Marine????????????

10. Collapse Details

I know in this day and age, 150 mph on the water is not particularly impressive. But it's worth keeping in mind that it was the boat's first time in the water. Spooling it up and taking a 200-plus-mph run was not part of the plan that day.

For the record: It's not just that the boat needs to surpass Dave Villwock's mark of 220 mph in an Unlimited hydroplane, which is the record the Phenomenon group is shooting for. Based on a discussion I had with Scott Barnhart this morning for a story that will appear on Boats.com, they will have to sustain that speed for an entire kilometer, turn around and repeat (or surpass) that speed in the opposite direction—within three minutes of completing the first pass.

According to Barnhart, those are the rules that were explained to him by John Carbonell of Super Boat International, which is slated to host Kilo runs in Sarasota, Fla., on July 2. That's where the Phenomenon team is planning their attack on the record.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post

Scott Barnhart explained that the "core" where the hydraulic cylindar rams mount collapsed/crushed, allowing a drive to alter position and props to touch on the port side.

Not sure Sarasota bay is where I would go for that particular record. After talking with Scott I hope they are able to get UIM to sanction the run with timing lights so they get all the glory they would be due if they are able to hold the #. A kilo run on stopwatches is just not credible at these speeds. You can figure 300+ feet a second you would have to have a very quick finger to be accurate.

Good luck to all and let us know if you need the Geico / Mewrcury Safety Rib as High speed safety support.
    Miss GEICO

Boost won't save you.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
    I know in this day and age, 150 mph on the water is not particularly impressive. But it's worth keeping in mind that it was the boat's first time in the water. Spooling it up and taking a 200-plus-mph run was not part of the plan that day.

For the record: It's not just that the boat needs to surpass Dave Villwock's mark of 220 mph in an Unlimited hydroplane, which is the record the Phenomenon group is shooting for. Based on a discussion I had with Scott Barnhart this morning for a story that will appear on Boats.com, they will have to sustain that speed for an entire kilometer, turn around and repeat (or surpass) that speed in the opposite direction—within three minutes of completing the first pass.

i have a ? i know the difference in a kilo record and how they get it but i see a ton of people referring to the Unlimited record as the fastest prop driven boat. This is just not true , on Nov 22 2009 the Top Fuel Hydro Problem Child ran and backed up a 1/4 mile pass of 264.82 mph, now i know you are going to say well that is not a kilo but it is still 40 mph faster then any other boat with a prop. No it is not a offshore type of boat but hay they don't run in big water for the kilo run either. So with this said just what is the fastest prop driven boat record?

13. Collapse Details

i would also like to say i wish the Phenomenon team the most , what they have built is truly one of the nicest boats i have ever seen or read about and i hope it does everything they set out to do with it . My last post is not to take anything away from them but to also give some credit to the guys that drive the 1/4 mile rockets.

14. Collapse Details

Heck Eddie Hill did 220+ 25 years ago, I think when dialed in the Phenom will exceed their expectations! it has the power to do it, they just need to find setup and conditions that suit it.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FastDonzi View Post
    Heck Eddie Hill did 220+ 25 years ago, I think when dialed in the Phenom will exceed their expectations! it has the power to do it, they just need to find setup and conditions that suit it.
    yep and we out ran him 8 times that year

16. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Not sure Sarasota bay is where I would go for that particular record. After talking with Scott I hope they are able to get UIM to sanction the run with timing lights
    I discussed the location with Al at the Miami Boat Show. My thoughts on it after Billy Mauff was explaining the cross winds when coming around the point in Sarasota had made me concerned for their safety.

I suggested LOTO, being as we have already seen cats exceeding the 200 mark there with no issues. Another spot would be North Carolina where other records have been broken.. Perhaps there is even a location out in Havasu ? I've never been there but calm water seems to always come to mind when I think of that place.

I don't see the UIM Sanctioning the SBI event without the APBA affiliation..

Then again, I would have never thought SBI would be racing together with OSS, so I guess anything is possible...

17. Collapse Details

SHARKEY-IMAGES
    Scott Barnhart explained that the "core" where the hydraulic cylindar rams mount collapsed/crushed, allowing a drive to alter position and props to touch on the port side.
    I think with the amount of torque coming from those engines, it might not be a bad idea to build those areas up with carbon fiber. It will stiffen things right up !

18. Collapse Details

registered

Not sure Sarasota bay is where I would go for that particular record. After talking with Scott I hope they are able to get UIM to sanction the run with timing lights so they get all the glory they would be due if they are able to hold the #. A kilo run on stopwatches is just not credible at these speeds. You can figure 300+ feet a second you would have to have a very quick finger to be accurate.

Good luck to all and let us know if you need the Geico / Mewrcury Safety Rib as High speed safety support.
    Thanks for the info, Marc. And I agree on Sarasota Bay in the summer.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    i have a ? i know the difference in a kilo record and how they get it but i see a ton of people referring to the Unlimited record as the fastest prop driven boat. This is just not true , on Nov 22 2009 the Top Fuel Hydro Problem Child ran and backed up a 1/4 mile pass of 264.82 mph, now i know you are going to say well that is not a kilo but it is still 40 mph faster then any other boat with a prop. No it is not a offshore type of boat but hay they don't run in big water for the kilo run either. So with this said just what is the fastest prop driven boat record?

PC is surley a fast boat and the drivers very skilled at piloting her and PC has clearly been the fastest. The difference is holding the #. Im fortunate to call Dave Villwock and Ken Warby friends and have spent a lot of time discussing their record's neither should be taken lightly. Once you get the boat up to the number the props are truly the only thing holding the boat in the water, take away the acceleration and she becomes more of a floating wing than a boat... the real challenge becomes holding the # at 190 to 200 or more for 20 to 25 seconds which can be a real handful and downright frightning depending on conditions. This is not taking anything away from PC and the big numbers they pull. I guess the question to ask is.. Has any one of these drag boats has ever attempted to run a flying kilometer ?
    Last edited by Maximus; 03-03-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    Miss GEICO

Boost won't save you.

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by mikes280 View Post
    Really good question, Mike.

With the exception of Ken Warby's 317 mph, which I doubt will be cracked anytime soon, there's nothing but argument about the propeller-driven water-speed record. The American Power Boat Association, which as you know is the domestic sanctioning body for UIM, has Dave Villwock as the record holder at 220 mph and change. That, according to Scott Barnhart, is the record Phenomenon is shooting for, which is no small feat to pull in back-to-back kilometer runs.

Maximus nailed it: Take nothing away from the drag boat guys, who I believe are as courageous as they are certifiable, they have posted some outrageous top speeds in a freakin' quarter mile. But the speed record, per and the APBA and, from what Barnhart tells me, SBI standard is a sustained average top speed over back-to-back kilometers.

Tim Sharkey's point, "I don't see the UIM Sanctioning the SBI event without the APBA affiliation," is correct.