Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What a phucking day. Need some of those prayers guys.
    I've never asked for this sort of thing before, but today I need to.

After dealing with a chitty day at work, I go out to my truck ('04 Avalanche), and find that someone stole my hard tonneua cover. I think Sydwayz may have already hooked me up with a replacement.
    Once I think the day is over and I can just relax, I get a call from my Dad.
    He was diagnosed with prostate cancer today.
    He's only 65, and just retired back in June.
    My folks are both pretty devastated. He won't be in to see the Dr. for about a week to discuss treatment.
    They already think they caught this early and it is expected to be treatable.
    This is the most honest man I've ever known, and I've always looked up to him, not just as a son to a Father, but to the Man that he is.
    I'm just kind of floored this evening...
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

2. Collapse Details

if they caught it early, he has no worries ad has a variety of options.
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Sorry to hear bro.. I hope all goes well for your pops and they can get it treated right away..

4. Collapse Details

My Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 3-4 years ago, when he was about 58. The doctors caught it very early, and as phragle said, he had several options available for treatment.

He chose the radioactive "seeds", to which the biggest drawback to him was that he couldn't hold my kids for a while. (They are his only grandkids.)

The treatment went extremely well, and he's fine now. He has his PSA count checked twice a year and it's fine. As a matter of fact, he just went last week, and they told him only once a year now.

5. Collapse Details

Hang in there wewil be thinking of you.How did they detect it?As everyone said if its early he is young odds are on his side.

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Prayers and good wishes. If they caught it early, should work out fine.

I tried dating a nurse some years ago that worked for the doc that "plants the seeds" so to speak. Part of her job was shaving, and then taping the goods up and out of the way. I hope the visual is good for a chuckle.

7. Collapse Details

Thanks guys.
    I'm just kind of shocked.
    He quit smoking ~ 30 years ago, quit drinking ~25 years ago. Won't even eat pork for the past 10-15 years. Was a Truck driver that for the past ten yrs worked the "yard" (pulling trailers into and out of a loading dock at a warehouse all day. Constantly climbing in and out of the truck, hooking-up to different trailers, cranking the dollies up/down). Just all in all great health.
    He's been getting his yearly exams, and this time they wanted to do a Biop.
    They took 16 samples, and I think he said 2 of them came back positive for cancer. But as he told me on the phone tonight, "2 out of 16 still means you have it, it's kinda like you can't get sorta pregnant, you either got it or you don't"
    He's trying to make some humor of it (he's always great for a quick witted groaner of a joke, but sometimes he'll floor you with a quick one), but I can tell he's scared as hell.

8. Collapse Details

Most likely then it is in it's early stages. Most forms or prostate cancer actually grow very slowly. When found over age 70 and still in early stages, simply taking a wait and see stance is a common option.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Most likely then it is in it's early stages. Most forms or prostate cancer actually grow very slowly. When found over age 70 and still in early stages, simply taking a wait and see stance is a common option.
    Thanks for the info Rob. I have to admit, I'm a bit shaken by this, and my folks are somewhat devastated by the news.
    From everything I'm getting, this may not be that bad. Still scary. You just worry about your folks as you (and they) get older.
    Wow, and to think that they thought many times I'd wind up killing myself before they got older (and I came close more than once)...

10. Collapse Details

Tim, just let me know if you have any questions etc... If I don't have the answers for you, I can get them.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Tim, just let me know if you have any questions etc... If I don't have the answers for you, I can get them.
    Greatly appreciated.
    Pop's is still local for you, living out in P-burg, so you would likely have connections to whoever his Drs. are.
    I appreciate the offer to answer questions, I may need to take you up on that.
    Thanks.

12. Collapse Details

He'll be fine. Hope today is a better one.

13. Collapse Details

Hey Tim,

I am sorry for your bad day. I don't mean to sound cavalier, but I am also in the crowd that is optimistic about the prognosis long term.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do, being local to your dad. Also... you have my phone number. Use it if you want to.

Also remember, if you ever want to fly in... I have an extra room, an extra vehicle and I am close to the airport.

I can also put him on the prayer board at work if you want.
    Warning: This post may contain language unsuitable for minors or math not suitable for liberal-arts majors.

14. Collapse Details

registered
    At his age with this early detection, it's almost certain that he'll be fine. Best wishes to your pops, Tim.

15. Collapse Details

Tim,

Sorry to hear that, we dealt with Dad having throat cancer a few years back, at times we didnt think he was going to make it, he went from 180# down to below 100# at one point, had to eat everything out of a blender. He is a stubborn man, who rarely went to the doctor before this, but this changed everything, he had the support from the kids, and his wife, and kept plugging away. One day(Thanksgiving day 2008) after about a year of treatment, and being miserable, he sat down at the table, told his wife not to blend the food, and since has gained back all of his weight, and lives a normal life, cancer free. Just make sure he gets the treatment he needs, and the support from the family, and the rest will take its course.

Rick

16. Collapse Details

Best Wishes...My brother-in-law was diagnosed with it a couple of years ago; mid-fifties; they had to remove it but did so with the Da Vinci robot, small incision and he was released the next day.
    Warning: There will be no warning shots.

17. Collapse Details

Best wishes for your pops and I hope you have a better day. Dave

18. Collapse Details

Hang in there - Best wishes to your pops and family!

19. Collapse Details

Tim, prayers for your dad.

Prostate cancer is very, very treatable in most cases. We had a very good friend of ours a year ago go through this. His PSA number was 110. Good numbers run between 1 and 10.

He went through 33 daily Mon-Fri radiation radiation treatments, horomone treatments and medication. On his 65th birthday July 2, he got the news his PSA number was 2.

I know it's shocking news, but believe he will be ok once he begins treatment.
    Queen of Bammin'

20. Collapse Details

Thinking about you and your dad, no need to say what others have, but hang in there.