Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

My Range Rover came with the green caps and Nitro filled tires. I had to get one topped off and the tire place did it for free. I asked him about what to do if it gets low again and there is no nitro around he said just put air in it. Not going to make a huge difference but will allow the pressure to fluctuate a little more.

My Rover has nitro and the wifes has air and with the temp changes we have had this winter her sensors have been going off every other week or so and mine have not gone off once since I had the tire topped off. More of a convenience thing if you ask me.

If they ever start charging for it though I am going to air.

2. Collapse Details

I've had it in several of my cars. My gas miliage doubled and i picked up 80 mph top end!

No difference at all. I still need to add to my tires every other week. As far as i'm concerened, its a bunch of crap!

3. Collapse Details

The county where I live got suckered into doing it on all their transit buses with the explanation it will increase fuel economy and tire wear. The local Toyota dealer who preaches no dealer fees, has a hotline to his cell phone etc. blasted them in the paper for wasting $78,000 in the program.......after his berating publically they discontinued the program!

4. Collapse Details

Alright...

Nitrogen is NOT a molecule. It is an element.

So there is not a difference in it's molecular size as comapred to filling tires with air. (if anything it is actually smaller than some of the other elements) Nitrogen has a smaller atomic mass than Oxygen and Argon..... However, the carbon molecule chains that are in the air Pollutants, and dioxide has larger masses...so I would think the ONLY thing leaking out faster would be Hydrogen, Hellium, (smaller Atoms)and such that is occurring naturally in the air mixture.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BarChopper View Post
    Alright...

So there is not a difference in it's molecular size as comapred to filling tires with air. (if anything it is actually smaller than some of the other elements) Nitrogen has a smaller atomic mass than Oxygen and Argon..... However, the carbon molecule chains that are in the air Pollutants, and dioxide has larger masses...so I would think the ONLY thing leaking out faster would be Hydrogen, Hellium, (smaller Atoms)and such that is occurring naturally in the air mixture.

You have been here almost a year and this is the thread you jump in on? Good info there, welcome to the board!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    A number of years ago I watched as a manager in a truck terminal in Kansas City sent a newly transferred employee from a southern state out on a mission to get "pink air" for his car tires. The manager explained to the rookie that in colder climates people routinely used "pink air" for better traction in snow and ice. As instructed the young man went out to purchase "pink air". When he returned hours later and very frustrated and confused, he plaintively exclaimed that he had tried at least a dozen gas stations, tire stores and auto parts suppliers with no luck. The manager didn't blink and replied...."Did I say "pink air"??? I meant "orange air"....I'm so color blind!.

I suggest that you all fill your tires with gel.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

7. Collapse Details

I had nitrogen filled tires on my SS when I got it new. A year later I needed to top them off cause the alarm kept going off. When I tried to remove those fancy green caps, they were fused to the valve stem because they were aluminum and the stem it steel or vice versa dont remember. After soaking them in lube and generally wasting my time I got 2 off, the other 2 snapped the valve stems off. Unfortunately the sensor for the tire pressure is in the valve stem and costs somewhere around 100 dollars plus installation/mount dismount. They wouldnt cover it because the caps were wrong, and I didnt even put them on, it came that way. It was an expensive lesson and im done with nitrogen.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    It'll always be easy to find, but just wait until someone figures out how to put a price tag on it...

The whole bottled water thing comes to mind.

I may be onto something here
    Eddie, it was half your idea, how do we market the air thing, I'll take you in as a partner at 25%
    Mel Brooks beat you to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cannedair.JPG  

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    A number of years ago I watched as a manager in a truck terminal in Kansas City sent a newly transferred employee from a southern state out on a mission to get "pink air" for his car tires. The manager explained to the rookie that in colder climates people routinely used "pink air" for better traction in snow and ice. As instructed the young man went out to purchase "pink air". When he returned hours later and very frustrated and confused, he plaintively exclaimed that he had tried at least a dozen gas stations, tire stores and auto parts suppliers with no luck. The manager didn't blink and replied...."Did I say "pink air"??? I meant "orange air"....I'm so color blind!.

I suggest that you all fill your tires with gel.

T2x
    LOL, my grandad used to send the ship wright apprentices for a bucket of blue steam

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BarChopper View Post
    Alright...

Nitrogen certainly is an element. But it, like oxygen, occurs in its elemental state very rarely. In fact, less frequently than oxygen. When we're talking about nitrogen, we're talking about N2, which is a molecule. N2 is larger than O2.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Trim'd Up View Post
    I am going to use helium for weight reduction. I figure on the jeep with 37's it should pick up 10mpg.
    DANG you for beating me to it,!!!!!
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

12. Collapse Details

I had a guy once telling me how strong his wife was. His example was that she changed her own flat. He told me the spare weighed over 60 lbs. 20 for the tire, ten for the wheel and 30 lbs of air. With a straight face.

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Mel Brooks beat you to it.
    May the Schwartz be with you!
    William (Bill) Love, SA
    Marine Surveyor
    www.lovemarinesurvey.com

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    No one has talked about CO2. Unfortunately, I don't know the scientific mumbo jumbo behind using it, but I assume it's a bigger molecule than O2.

I buy CO2 bottles to power air tools and inflate tires while out 4wheeling or in the driveway and to blow out my dock water line (very portable). Since it's in liquid form in the bottle, it equates to more gas volume than a normal air tank. I love the set up. You could install it on a boat to run tools and blow up water toys and Maryland Mark's blow up doll!

Does anyone know how using CO2 compares to O2 or N2?
    William (Bill) Love, SA
    Marine Surveyor
    www.lovemarinesurvey.com

15. Collapse Details

Fill um with liquid nitrogen, keeps tires, brakes, and bearings very cool.

16. Collapse Details

Banana Bend, Texas 29 50 49.84N, 95 05 17.46W
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Nitrogen certainly is an element. But it, like oxygen, occurs in its elemental state very rarely. In fact, less frequently than oxygen. When we're talking about nitrogen, we're talking about N2, which is a molecule. N2 is larger than O2.
    This is correct and that is why a nitrogen inflated tire will stay up longet than an air inflated tire, relatively speaking.

Here is a report from a left leaning and therefore totally unreliable source

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...nitrogen-.html
    Mark
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPerformance View Post
    Like was previously mentioned. If you need air and there are no Nitrogen filling stations around, then what? As far as I know, you are not supposed to mix air and N. To fill with N, the tire must be totally evactuated of air first. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Air is pretty easy to find and it's really cheap.
    Eddie
    You can absolutely mix the two! You're just not going to have the complete benefit of pure nitrogen after you do, simple as that.

18. Collapse Details

I run a custom blend in my tires of 78% nitrogen / 21% oxygen.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by rainmn View Post
    I run a custom blend in my tires of 78% nitrogen / 21% oxygen.
    So what's the other 1%

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by WARPARTY36 View Post
    So what's the other 1%
    Poo.