Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2 questions HP500 EFI
    Can't tell from the parts lookup. Do HP500 EFI's come with triple valve springs? Mine has an outer, flat stock inner, and then a smaller round stock inner. They look really good but so does the rest of the engine so I don't know. Also the rockers have a C-07 on the end. Is this a production date?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rocker.jpg   spring.jpg   springs2.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

The spring is not a triple. It is called a double spring with a dampner. The flat one is the dampner. A triple spring has 3 actual springs.
    Eddie

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by YoungPerformance View Post
    The spring is not a triple. It is called a double spring with a dampner. The flat one is the dampner. A triple spring has 3 actual springs.
    Eddie

Thanks Eddie, is that what comes stock or have these been changed?

4. Collapse Details

I'm pretty sure that is what comes on them. They are Crane springs I believe. Someone else may know for sure.

5. Collapse Details

I think the later 500efi's run crane 929's and they are a double with a damper. I have a set of heads from a supposedly stock 500 and the springs are double with a damper.

6. Collapse Details

You're halfway done with the job. Change them. Springs are cheap.

Why take a chance?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    You're halfway done with the job. Change them. Springs are cheap.

Why take a chance?
    Because the air compressor makes so much noise that it interferes with all the beer drinking, stereo listening, and cigar smoking that usually goes on in my garage

8. Collapse Details

If you think that compressor makes alot of racket, just wait until you put a valve through a piston- in Early June.

I'm just not a believer in tempting fate.

9. Collapse Details

Okay I just ordered new springs and keepers. Please don't look to closely at my Serious expense report this month

10. Collapse Details

I'am pretty sure the mfg date is 07, I have seen dated and undated in the past. Are you going to inspect the lifters?

11. Collapse Details

Actually I am trying to keep from removing the lower plenum. The engine had no lifter noise when I ran it and it's only got 320 hours.

12. Collapse Details

only ? 320 hours and you're not worried about the lifters

Thats Roll the dice IMHO
    I would probably be swapping them out Ted.

13. Collapse Details

Really? So how prevalent are lifter failures on these engines? Recommendations for replacements?

14. Collapse Details

Seen several with messed up cams when the roller fails. I would suggest Morels.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    Seen several with messed up cams when the roller fails. I would suggest Morels.

+1

I witnessed one that had just the springs changed junk out a
    lifter in short order.

The needle bearings and axles in the lifter get beat up when the springs
    get weak.....they feel like they have gravel in them when you roll them
    across a smooth surface.

The Morels Gellner sold me last summer weren't that much more than the
    Cranes I bought a few years back.

16. Collapse Details

The only issue with the Morel is they're lifter bore diameter sensitive. They're machined to the GM spec, which is tighter than some of the aftermarket blocks. If the bore clearance is too large, the lifter won't get enough pressure to properly work. You'll want to mic the bore ID on the block before buying them. But on the Merc, I'd suspect you'll be just fine. Morels would be my choice for replacements. At around 300 hours, I doubt they're a necessity. But they are good insurance.

Hey Ted- you getting the feeling you're on the slippery slope to complete rebuilds yet?

17. Collapse Details

Well, I hope you bastages are happy. Found a questionable looking intake valve last night with a borescope (New Snap On, cool as hell), after it leaked down too much. So now the heads are coming off and of course it will be getting new lifters, etc. Really glad I spent all that time putting springs on last week We do this sh!t to ourselves why?? As an aside a slightly pooched intake valve on a 320 hour motor that has never been cracked is pretty damn good I suppose.

18. Collapse Details

Thats ok Ted, you are about to find out the the heads have cracks between the valves all over the place

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Airpacker View Post
    Thats ok Ted, you are about to find out the the heads have cracks between the valves all over the place
    Naw, I have a spare set sitting in the garage that I could upgrade and substitute if I needed to, otherwise you're probably right

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Naw, I have a spare set sitting in the garage that I could upgrade and substitute if I needed to, otherwise you're probably right
    Hope everything was OK. Whats the latest on your 500s? I changed springs on my 500s and found 1 enter spring broke. I bought Comp 929s